Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Originally they were hoping a simple crown over the cracked tooth would be all that was needed. But after further research, the DDS found the crack went across the floor of the tooth, from side to side. So chances are pretty good the crack would continue down into the root and I lose it that way. Upper jaw, second molar.

So got to get on the schedule. Remove tooth. Install implant screw. Install new tooth/crown. Part with money. :)

I'm lucky. I've got teeth quality from my mom's side of family. Dad had crappy teeth due to heredity. He did everything he could but sill ended up major problems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, txab said:

Originally they were hoping a simple crown over the cracked tooth would be all that was needed.

Just before lock down I chomped down on a bone and did the same thing. Bottom left second from back. split front to back.  I did the crown. So far, so good. Crown holding it together. Both parents had bad teeth. I've got a mouth full of metal. That was my first crown. 4 grand if I remember right. Hurt for months. I feel your pain. 

• Like 2

I'm somewhat immune to dental pain due to free "grills" during my military career.  My tooth not only cracked from side to side, pics showed the crack went deep in the gum.  That type of crack was the worst pain I've ever felt.  Only options at that point is to extract and replace with an implant or not.      

• Like 3

Teeth are small but the pain they can inflict is incredible.  I've had a root canal repeated three times over the past five years on the same back tooth.  The procedure is nothing when compared to the agony from the preceding infections!  I've been fortunate and always have been able to "take care" of my teeth.  There are far too many who don't have access to proper dental care.    I attribute my regular care to many stories from my fisherman grandfather.  His lore of how they delt with dental pain out at sea kept me keeping regular checkups!  Good dental hygiene doesn't mean you won't experience painful events but you may get some early warning!   I mentioned earlier that I keep medical checkups current.  Catching stuff early greatly increases your chances of a more successful (and less painful) fix!

• Like 2

We weren’t big on going to the dentist. I had two teeth pulled up until my late 30s. My father had all his teeth pulled. He would actually pull his own. After getting false teeth he said this isn’t worth it take care of your teeth. As sons do we take our cues from dad. He quit smoking, so did I. My teeth had been acting up so off to the dentist I went. After caps, crown, one root canal and a lot of money all fixed. My dentist said I had great teeth I ought to be ashamed. Yea, I promised to be back in six months for a cleaning. So, twenty five years later I get an abscess. Damn that hurt. Back to the dentist. Amazingly the original root canal needed a reboot. All my caps and crown replaced over a two year period. Good as new. Teeth pain is the worst I’ve experienced. It pays to go. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I have that exact one from eBay. I never floss or used a water pic until 3 years ago my second run to the dentist. 

I use an electric tooth brush. I need to try a water pik but never get around to it.

I have genetically awful teeth. When I was a kid I barely brushed, I know it was gross, until I was like fifteen or sixteen and never had a cavity. Lost all my baby teeth by ten. Then I started brushing twice a day and flossing pretty religiously and suddenly was getting cavities out the wazoo. My father his whole life has had crowns and fillings etc, my mother not as bad. Dad's side always had fillings and stuff.

10 hours ago, Donstar said:

I attribute my regular care to many stories from my fisherman grandfather.  His lore of how they delt with dental pain out at sea kept me keeping regular checkups!  Good dental hygiene doesn't mean you won't experience painful events but you may get some early warning!  

The military gave you new teeth in the blink of an eye, if it looked like it was going bad, it was replaced.  Most times you deployed to places where there was no doctor or dentist so if you didn't get it replaced, you couldn't be sent to a doctor.  Fix it or duct tape it, the military ain't got no time for pain.  Pain is a life or death distraction when you're outside the wire.

Best thing that happened to me was replacing 31 teeth (joking), but it was the 32nd tooth that hit me like a Mack truck, dropped me straight to my knees.  I would rather go a few rounds with Iron Mike than have a cracked tooth deep in the gum.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, The Zip said:

The military gave you new teeth in the blink of an eye, if it looked like it was going bad, it was replaced.  Most times you deployed to places where there was no doctor or dentist so if you didn't get it replaced, you couldn't be sent to a doctor.  Fix it or duct tape it, the military ain't got no time for pain.  Pain is a life or death distraction when you're outside the wire.

Best thing that happened to me was replacing 31 teeth (joking), but it was the 32nd tooth that hit me like a Mack truck, dropped me straight to my knees.  I would rather go a few rounds with Iron Mike than have a cracked tooth deep in the gum.

Teeth are so important, 13 months in combat and 4 years total, USN made them last. Later Army for 5 years as a pilot I had to have healthy teeth or be unable to fly effectively because of pain. 

Good dental health stops/slows other issues as we age.  The dental work from 1978 in USN lasted until 2010 or so, including RPG shrapnel to head, face ( helmet and helicopter saved my brain bucket). I also got boxed in USN for shipboard smokers, heavy weight and I am not kidding I got beat to death and never lost a tooth..LOL  Had teeth penetrating the lips from using my pretty face as a defense mechanism but teeth held up.  Yee haa.  

• Like 1

Went to my current dentist a while back for a cleaning and he said, did your previous dentist use super glue to fix this tooth?  I said, now the truth comes out.  You don't remember the work, cause you did it.  Back when both of us were in the military, he was actually my dentist.

RPG shrapnel to the head, TBI is real, get everything you deserve.  Thanks for the exemplary service.

• Thanks 1

Funny how talking about a toothache will conjure up stories.  Most of us have, or know of, a sore tooth experience we wouldn't wish on anyone else.  This makes regular dental care  easy to promote to most.    Unfortunately, some find preemptive dental checkups as a low priority!  I have a 40+ son who still relies on parental reminders! 😉   The ROI of time for regularly scheduled Dental (and Physical) checkups) can be stupendous.    

• Like 1

We once thought that downsizing our residence and buying a motorhome to travel Canada and the US would be a wonderful use of our time and money.  Now with the uncertainty of gas prices and the future of gas powered vehicles this idea has lost our interest. This time in our personal lives would have suited such a lifestyle change.   House prices are extraordinarily high and homes are selling far above asking price.  The equity we could get by selling our home has definitely tempted us to join the frenzy.   However, the temptation is hampered by the price we'd have to pay for another place to live.  I don't mind a place that needs a little updating, or perhaps is a little smaller but such homes are also enjoying high selling prices. The Covid years and current global issues has certainly changed our views on needs and wants.  It is also an extremely enlightening time.  More than ever, I appreciate how fortunate I am to have such options and dreams!

13 minutes ago, Donstar said:

We once thought that downsizing our residence and buying a motorhome to travel Canada and the US would be a wonderful use of our time and money.  Now with the uncertainty of gas prices and the future of gas powered vehicles this idea has lost our interest. This time in our personal lives would have suited such a lifestyle change.   House prices are extraordinarily high and homes are selling far above asking price.  The equity we could get by selling our home has definitely tempted us to join the frenzy.   However, the temptation is hampered by the price we'd have to pay for another place to live.  I don't mind a place that needs a little updating, or perhaps is a little smaller but such homes are also enjoying high selling prices. The Covid years and current global issues has certainly changed our views on needs and wants.  It is also an extremely enlightening time.  More than ever, I appreciate how fortunate I am to have such options and dreams!

The wife and especially myself have entertained the same. Our main deterrence is our property tax rate. Even with the insane prices of homes you always have to buy another. And high taxes that come along with. With the savings of staying put. I could hire anything I needed done. And have a person to carry me up to the master bedroom or put in an elevator. Or completely remodel and put the master bedroom down. No kidding. We’re not changing a thing.