Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

3 hours ago, garagerog said:

There has been a lot of discussion on the various business media channels as of late on whether the inflation we're experiencing will cause the economy to slide into recession. At my age I don't get out all that much any more, but when I do I tend to be fairly observant. The local Starbucks drive-thru generally has a line out to the street but this am there was not one car in line for their drive-thru. An indicator that people are retrenching?  I dunno, but seems likely to me.

Big corporations lower prices and 60% of US inflation gone. 

We don't refine more gasoline for US because we are selling refined products overseas for $$$$$$$$.  

" Greed is good"  Gordon Gecko 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

I have one driving vacation planned this year and that is it. An hours drive down to Glen Rose in my girlfriend's Corolla.

I mean really if you just add the extra money it takes you to fill up it's only like $400 a year if you drive the national average.

I heard it’s about 2K. Of course that doesn’t count the ripple effect. The cost of goods associated. Only? Glad you like it.

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I heard it’s about 2K. Of course that doesn’t count the ripple effect. The cost of goods associated. Only? Glad you like it.

My wife and I are retired and drive fuel sippers for the most part. Not counting trips 3 a year and my Avalanche it’s 1500$ a year increase.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Yes, the ripple effect is a consideration.  I went to mail a 10 lb. package yesterday to a nearby city and the courier was asking for a $12 fuel surcharge! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Yes, the ripple effect is a consideration.  I went to mail a 10 lb. package yesterday to a nearby city and the courier was asking for a $12 fuel surcharge! 

It will probably show up on our electric bills too, if it hasn’t already. It’s a good idea to show a separation like when you buy something and it’s plus tax. Initially I was intrigued by electric vehicles for the performance aspect, usually my first consideration. I rather the whole concept fit in rather than forced in. I’m definitely not against changes. Coming from a performance oriented family my first vehicle was a rotary engine RX3. That was around one year until I bought my barracuda. My whole family would hum the Mazda sound every time I’d drive up. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Like I said it is national average. Definitely not $2k lol

Also this is a little dependent on the gas price fluctuation near you. It is not entirely accurate but it gives a decent insight.

I was a little off on the calculation though. National average of miles driven a year is 14,263. The average fuel economy for cars is 24.2 MPG. 13,476/24.2=556.86 Gallons of Gas a year. 

So if gas was $3 for simplicity sake, 556.86*3=1,670.58. If gas was $4 it would be $2,227.44 so only $556.86 more.

Trucks are 17.5 so 13,476/17.5=770.06. So it is an $770.06 increase a year going from $3 to $4

The conversation was not about the ripple effect. Just about the price to fill up your vehicle.

Average Fuel Econ: https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10310

Average Mileage Per Year: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm *Last modified March 8th so pre-covid numbers which should be a little more accurate in my opinion.*

Edited by shakenfake

43 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Like I said it is national average. Definitely not $2k lol

Also this is a little dependent on the gas price fluctuation near you. It is not entirely accurate but it gives a decent insight.

I was a little off on the calculation though. National average of miles driven a year is 14,263. The average fuel economy for cars is 24.2 MPG. 13,476/24.2=556.86 Gallons of Gas a year. 

So if gas was $3 for simplicity sake, 556.86*3=1,670.58. If gas was $4 it would be $2,227.44 so only $556.86 more.

Trucks are 17.5 so 13,476/17.5=770.06. So it is an $770.06 increase a year going from $3 to $4

The conversation was not about the ripple effect. Just about the price to fill up your vehicle.

Average Fuel Econ: https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10310

Average Mileage Per Year: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm *Last modified March 8th so pre-covid numbers which should be a little more accurate in my opinion.*

I think your assumptions are based on Hwy miles for car averaging. My CRV is costing me 12$ more per fill up. My wife drives more taking care of church duties and her mother. Her Genesis while getting 27 MPGs on the HWY gets 19 in town. Those two together are up over 1500$ per year. My Avalanche I put 20$ in every two weeks and drive it enough to keep it viable. That adds to the total as well. My brother in law’s gas mileage car is in for repairs waiting on parts. His ford diesel cost 700$ for one month just going to work. Twice as much as a year ago. Just this morning one gas station just went to 4.19 a gallon. In Texas. Not (only) money or an inconvenience. It will be devastating to lot of families.

Off the top of my head the averages for fuel mileage for the vehicles in my immediate family go like this driving to work and back and daily tasks no road trip type highway mileage:

2011 Cadillac SRX 3.6 all stock: 17 MPG

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 6.0 modified and lowered: 17 MPG

2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI all stock: 28 MPG

2016 Audi A6 2.0 TDI tuned: 30 MPG

2019 Mercedes GLC300 all stock: 19 MPG

2007 Honda Civic 1.8 all stock: 26 MPG

2017 Toyota Corolla 1.4 all stock: 27 MPG

1996 Impala SS 5.7 all stock: 17 MPG

Now saying all of that both Audi's are diesel which is not a factor that I included in the averaging. The Impala has some problems with it at the moment so that isn't super accurate. 

Like I said, it's an average based on arbitrary numbers. YMMV

6 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Off the top of my head the averages for fuel mileage for the vehicles in my immediate family go like this driving to work and back and daily tasks no road trip type highway mileage:

2011 Cadillac SRX 3.6 all stock: 17 MPG

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 6.0 modified and lowered: 17 MPG

2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI all stock: 28 MPG

2016 Audi A6 2.0 TDI tuned: 30 MPG

2019 Mercedes GLC300 all stock: 19 MPG

2007 Honda Civic 1.8 all stock: 26 MPG

2017 Toyota Corolla 1.4 all stock: 27 MPG

1996 Impala SS 5.7 all stock: 17 MPG

Now saying all of that both Audi's are diesel which is not a factor that I included in the averaging. The Impala has some problems with it at the moment so that isn't super accurate. 

Like I said, it's an average based on arbitrary numbers. YMMV

My numbers are based on my and the wife’s driving not counting trips. If I added the trips and the 12-15 mile per gallon Avalanche we easily be over the 2K increase. I figured the Avalanche and the trips were unreasonable for comparison. We both full under the national average. 

• Like 1

A couple of months ago I could have purchased an EV of my choice and received a very generous trade-in allowance for my truck.   Now I have to wait at least a year for any EV and my truck has devalued considerably.   We do know that in a few months factors will change.  However, we don't know if this change will be worse or better.  I am not optimistic that fuel prices will drop substantially or EV's will fill dealership lots in the near future.  This reminds me of when household computers were becoming a reality.  They were very expensive and by the time you unpacked your new purchase, it was out of date!   The advice of the day was, "The best time to buy a computer is now".   In other words, if you wait for the next development, you'll never buy one!  Today, I can get my name on a waitlist and receive a decent EV in about a year.  My truck still has value and can get some trade credit.   If I wait....

• Like 1

Advise that was given to me for living. 

• Acquire what you need, not what you want.
  • Don't be the first and don't be the last. 
  • Don't try to be the most popular or be the least.
  • Be generous.
  • Dance with the one you brought.    

Modesty in All Things

Any person self honest will find this harder than it looks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Advise that was given to me for living. 

• Acquire what you need, not what you want.
  • Don't be the first and don't be the last. 
  • Don't try to be the most popular or be the least.
  • Be generous.
  • Dance with the one you brought.    

Modesty in All Things

Any person self honest will find this harder than it looks.

Your first bullet reminded me of this:  

• Haha 2

Thought about Grumpy Bear, Donstar and some others when I saw this brand of lighter US made motorcycles online.  At least they are trying to make it manufacturing in US.  Chinese engines I think. 

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/product/halcyon-250/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy530ktTc9wIVj-4YAh0jRQOmEAEYASAAEgITzfD_BwE

• Like 1

A few days ago I was bothered by having to re-live the sadness of losing a close friend.   She died when gatherings were not allowed.     Yesterday we went to her "celebration of life", several months after the fact  The family asked that we don't wear black for this event.  Time has tempered emotions and our departed friend was a colourful person   My wife, a close mutual friend, and I dressed as if we were stereotypical Hawaiian tourists c/w leis.  The officiator of the service singled us out during the ceremony and said in her 30 years of doing this she's never witnessed such joy and colour at a memorial service.  It turned out to be a true celebration of this wonderful person's life.  As we age we attend more of these events and think more and more about when it will be our turn to be the centre of attention.  My wife and I have told our kids that a family meal in our memory is all that we want.  Now that we've discovered that a celebration of life can actually be a fun event for your friends our thoughts are changing!   Imagine going to a celebration for the joy, not because you have to!

• Thanks 1