Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

28 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

In my travels the place that gives me pause is Fayetteville NC.

Off topic sorta but this cracked me up.....

Where I spent 5 years in 82nd ABN and 18th ABN Corps.   Thats funny for a civilian from Texas to say.....

Ever hear of "FayetteNam with the FayetteCong"..... that ditty from late 60's.   

It is a tough place regardless of your conservative or liberal leanings....LOL   ☠️

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I am very cautious around people but believe most are good.  Not pointing guns at other people (toy or otherwise) and showing respect to seniors are lessons I attribute mostly to my childhood peers.   I also worked in the school system and dealt with pretty messed up kids but most had basic qualities.  Showing disrespect to the elderly and/or disabled is not popular in most groups.  I am guessing most of us have bragged about a deed only to find out your "friend(s)" thought differently.

We all start out 'Created in God's Image". In most people some vestige of his qualities remain in us. But...as 1Timothy 4:2b points out:

.......whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron

Repeated offence to ones conscience will make it insensitive to both ITS voice and the voice of ones peers. Wont even listen to God's voice anymore.

Violence is a great example of a seared conscience. Society is  desensitized to violence by our social programming in what we watch on TV, the games we play and even novels and comic books. Children played cops and robbers or Cowboys and Indians in my day an in todays, Avengers 'hero's' or Mortal Combat. Military uses games like these for this purpose.

Yes we are immersed in violence to the point we don't even notice it. We even, as parents and grand parents, accept this behavior as normal, harmless entertainment. Call it "Kids having Fun". Then some 10 year old shoots someone and expects that person to get up and play another day. Reality distortion. 

Tip of the Iceberg kiddo's. 2 Timothy 3:2-5 reads like the evening news. Verse 1 puts those conditions in our day.  

• Like 1

The part that could make me laugh or cry is why this ^^^ is newsworthy.  The news picked up on a humorous vocabulary slip and not about the prosecution of the tobacco industry.  My career often found me speaking to good sized audiences and it was often a challenge to know if what I was saying is what the audience was hearing.  I remember a naysayers review (third hand) of one of my more impassioned speeches was "same sh**, different day".   Of course my supporters were very complementary and were able to list the fresh ideas and directions mentioned in the speech.  I started my career as an elementary school teacher.  I would typically dismiss my students one at a time at the end of the day by requiring a ticket.  Their ticket out was to tell me one thing they learned that day.  The idea was for the kids to report this new knowledge to their parents when asked what they did in school today.  Telling me something negative or personal about another person typically made for an invalid ticket.

• Like 5

It never ceases to amaze me ( I belong to 6 forums) how the public thinks. The reference to politics, religion, comedians etc.. 

I march to my own drum. I try to ignore a lot of the B.S. the media or people try to impose. I sure as hell don't need input from the peanut gallery. 

• Sad 1

I picked a relative up from the ferry terminal a couple of days ago.  She called me yesterday to report that the people she'd been visiting just tested positive for Covid.   I thanked her for her call, told my wife, and then we carried on with our day.  The same call one or two years ago would have caused considerable stress!  I have rapid tests in my dresser and will make a conscious effort to keep my distance from others and wear a mask in stores for the next little while.  This is how I  deal with a covid exposure and know others would do more while many would do less.  It is a great example of how we process information and how time impacts what we've learned.  The part of the process that my wife and I often discuss is how differently people process similar information.  This is usually a good thing.  My wife and I grew up in the same neighbourhood, we are the same age and have lived with each other for 50 years. We share friends and watch TV together.  You'd think we'd agree on everything and/or run out of things to talk about but we both can "spark a debate" at a moment's notice!  😉 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, Donstar said:

The part that could make me laugh or cry is why this ^^^ is newsworthy.

It isn't, but news does not sell advertising. News doesn't promote ratings. News was never intended to lead a person to some predetermined conclusion; to be a  ideology or political or nationalistic FORMING vehicle. News was not intended to be entertainment. News is suppose to inform impartially; tell a story but not BE the story. To give information that allows a person to act or refrain in accordance with need or duty. There is as much manipulation, propaganda in "News" of a Free Country as there is in a State Controlled Source. It even has the same band leader. (Compare Luke 4:5,6 with 1 John 5:19) Note the use of the words "all" and "entire". 

News today in less an information source and more revenue stream. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I question that things are better today with the changes and technology. 

I agree we can't seem to handle technology in regards to mass media because its become a mass spreader of dis-info. 

Either that is regulated by some law to share verifiable truth, OR you educate the consumer to know truth from fiction.   Based on what I hear and read, even here, the consumer is very confused by mass media. 

Those that would garner power from  that confusion are harming our nation. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Do you see the irony in that quote? Truth NEVER changes but what is believed to be truth does. 😉 

Truth can not be transformed but can be disbelieved. It can be misunderstood. It can be veiled and hidden but it is never OTHER. 

You forget the publics mentality. You always look at things with an engineers eye. IMO

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” Proven more than once I believe.

• Like 1

Please let's avoid using specific political leaders to support our comments.  This simply creates angst.  I usually can find enough awkward stuff in my personal history to use as an example. 😉 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

You forget the publics mentality. You always look at things with an engineers eye. IMO

“Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth” Proven more than once I believe.

What has been proved is that ones perception of truth changes, not the truth itself. The entire planet could adopt the lie that gravity does not exist and yet it would continue to support the lives of those that deny it. You can't wish truth away. You can't lie it away. You can deny it however. But that does not change it. It just hides it from view. 

We hold these truths to be self evident...... Starts the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. 

Roman 1:20 (NIV)  For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

It should be 'self evident. Without excuse... that what is truth is to be unknowable or subject to the decisions and whims of individuals or even the collective as truth does not originate with man but with God. Even the founders knew this because?

It's self evident.

Has noting to do with being an engineer but rather being a human subject to his creator by my will or in absence of it. 

• Thanks 1