Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

5 hours ago, txab said:

So are you using all the streaming to replace cable? I was going to go that direction after my mom died. I needed cable to keep it simple for her. But got a great deal from the cable company, it doesn't pay me to get something like Youtube TV or Hulu Plus Live. 

I've got for streaming:

Apple+

Disney+

Paramount+

Prime video

Netflix

I split the cost and share with a buddy of mine. Right now paramount+ is my most watched. It seems like they will keep coming out with new content on a schedule to keep you hooked. Netflix is my least watched.

You'll like 1883. "Mayor of Kingstown" is written by the same guy that does "Yellowstone/1883". He's got 3 or 4 other shows in the works with Paramount. I will say, if your patient most of these shows will eventually be on cable for those who have it. I've got enough streaming options to keep me entertained along with cable

We have DirecTV for the most part but my wife and daughter want to watch what is on the other streaming shows. Since we have HBO on DTV we get HBO Max.  We just bundled Apple because we have family share of Apple music and storage so we have Apple TV+ now.  We've had Netflix for a long time as well as Prime since we use Amazon so much.  Disney plus came with the package we got with our Verizon package.  We have Hulu for a good rate since my daughter got it for student discount for college.

1 hour ago, txab said:

Sorry, not interested Direct TV. Had too many problems when I was on their Dealer list. Plus the product was sketchy along with their "techs". I had to quit suggesting people try them.

I had regular direct tv for 20 years. The only problem I had was during a hard rain. Direct Tv stream so far is flawless I never needed a service call. I tried cable for a year I hated it. Before I moved to my current house 22 years ago I had a 10ft dish for 12 years. Direct tv stream is the only full service stream service that has its own box. And house all the other services available like Netflix and prime among others on their remote. Very easy to use like a cable remote. I don’t use my smart tv remote this is so much better. I don’t think you tried the stream service or their box you can get with it. You’d be singing a different tune. 

8 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I had regular direct tv for 20 years. The only problem I had was during a hard rain. Direct Tv stream so far is flawless I never needed a service call. I tried cable for a year I hated it. Before I moved to my current house 22 years ago I had a 10ft dish for 12 years. Direct tv stream is the only full service stream service that has its own box. And house all the other services available like Netflix and prime among others on their remote. Very easy to use like a cable remote. I don’t use my smart tv remote this is so much better. I don’t think you tried the stream service or their box you can get with it. You’d be singing a different tune. 

We got DirecTV Genie.  Love it.  Streaming still has issues when we do it.  Maybe it is the Smart TV more than the actual streaming service. 

52 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

We got DirecTV Genie.  Love it.  Streaming still has issues when we do it.  Maybe it is the Smart TV more than the actual streaming service. 

Before I got direct tv stream I tried sling and other popular streaming services for comparison. I didn’t have a smart tv at the time so I got Ruku and prime fire stick. I still was using cable too. I got frustrated with regular Direct tv prices. The fire stick was a nightmare Ruku was ok but took quite a bit of navigation to get what you wanted. My wife discovered DIRECTV stream while shopping at sams. It’s is 64$ per month without the box. 12$ per month adding their box. The box becomes yours when paid for. Even if you stop direct tv the box still works. The box has stand alone function buttons for recording and other functions. It has to be easy or my wife gets frustrated. My mother could navigate it. The content and downloads are amazing. Of course with streaming your steaming service needs to be good. We have excellent steaming service at a reasonable cost. My total TV and streaming is around 120$ per month. 2 years ago with regular direct tv and Wi-Fi I was at 180$. I couldn’t be happier with the product, but I’m always looking. And the biggest plus no contract. One big plus no extra charge for multiple users. I can have my TV, phone anywhere and it works.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Thanks 1

We are fine with our traditional cable provider and every once in a while will give them a call when we believe the price is too high for the service.  This usually occurs after I receive a call from their main competitor with an "unbeatable" offer.  They are also our internet and cell phone provider.  It is a bonus that our provider has easily accessible customer support for all of our TV, cell phone and Internet needs.  I appreciate that choices vary geographically.   This is good time to remind ourselves to look at our monthly subscription payments and see where you have unnecessary expenses.  It is not hard to lose track of those insidious automatic payments.  We recently spent significant time reviewing our "tech" costs and trimmed down considerably with little or no loss in service.  Simply phoning your subscription services and saying you want to cut will typically result in a better deal.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shakenfake said:

I don't have any streaming services. Youtube or I buy a movie/show I want to watch.

I'm with you although I have ROKU, a free Hulu month and Netflix which just raised prices too much for me so I will dump it.  Prime is being dumped too when it renews. 

I stayed up later than usual last night YouTubing Harley Davidson trikes.  I am hoping to extend my good weather pastime for another few riding seasons and I am considering a three wheeler.  It is incredible that this research option is available.  You think you're on a rarely travelled path and then you discover that your dilemma is shared by many.   However, there is something to be said for too much information because my con list grew as fast as my pro list!  The one decision I have made is that a Freewheeler more closely meets my wants than a Tri-Glide.  I love the sound, feel, and shifting gears of my 9 year old 96 cu.in.  If I need highway comfort and tunes, I use my truck!

Edited by Donstar

Well I am in the middle of negotiating for a new trike through the internet.  It is a new experience with one clear advantage.  I have time to think carefully about my responses.  A day at the dealership has been replaced by days of thoughtful exchanges of notes and photos!  (I bought my current bike from this dealership in the traditional manner so this is a legit transaction.)  I doubt I'll get a better deal this way but I'll sleep better having had the time to think out every step of the process!

After a protracted negotiation process on a new to me Harley Davidson, I have decision to make.   The dealership was patient with me as I continued to improve my offer.  They skillfully kept countering with their original offer 😉 .  They have informed me they are done and wish to give me back my deposit.   The difference in our price to purchase is not life altering but I wish for once I could feel like I got a good deal!   I believe this purchase is hugely impacted by  the pandemic and fuel supply for both seller and buyer.  The dealership  knows supply is short of this particular trike. Current fuel costs are providing me incentive to make a deal! 

Words cannot express how fortunate I am to have such a tale of woe.   The impacts of the pandemic and the invasion of Ukraine are foremost in my thoughts.  The other stuff serves as distraction.