Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

The number of homeless people in our neighborhood has increased noticeably over the recent past.  I believe Covid and  recent cost of living increases are exacerbating this crisis.  Yesterday we stopped at our favorite place for an ice-cream treat and a homeless person had settled for the day right next to the front door.  He wasn't bothering anyone and nobody was bothering him.  The fact that it was so acceptable is the shocking part of the story.    I get how hard it can be to afford a comfortable life and how scary it must be without a safety net of family.   My wife and I have been fortunate that we had family around during tough times and our children have enjoyed similar security.  Karnut's comment about planning for retirement is so important.   You may be managing now but chances are good that you will hit retirement age.  You may find that your body may not want or be able to work.  Combine this with the passing of the bank of mom&dad and you too may have the recipe for homelessness.

We talk a good line about helping people here south of the Canadian border but most homelessness is from mental illness or addiction. 

Like Governor Abbott we talk about mental illness as a main cause of violence but he defunded it literally a few months before he said that. 

Being homeless in US is a crime in most localities now.  We lock up our problems down here instead of dealing with the source or cause. 

All you non baby boomer US folks have nothing in retirement like most of the boomers. Nor will you.  The US GOV subsidized our success and then the boomers voted all that away for policies that make you broke.  I warned my 30-40 something kids to get a good job or career and start saving the day you take that job because the pension I got will be a SELF contributory 401K or IRA that will ride the market whims.  

PS the airline I flew for declared bankruptcy in 2011 and stopped my pension if I had not left in 2012. 

VA disability healthcare is what saved me. 

Canadians have basic healthcare that allows them not to be bankrupted medically in most cases.  In US you have one MAJOR MEDICAL burp even with insurance and you can be wiped out no matter how much you saved. 

Once your'e wiped out you might get help....... luck is what the 95% operate on and why they are angry and support tyrants. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The number of homeless people in our neighborhood has increased noticeably over the recent past.  I believe Covid and  recent cost of living increases are exacerbating this crisis.  Yesterday we stopped at our favorite place for an ice-cream treat and a homeless person had settled for the day right next to the front door.  He wasn't bothering anyone and nobody was bothering him.  The fact that it was so acceptable is the shocking part of the story.    I get how hard it can be to afford a comfortable life and how scary it must be without a safety net of family.   My wife and I have been fortunate that we had family around during tough times and our children have enjoyed similar security.  Karnut's comment about planning for retirement is so important.   You may be managing now but chances are good that you will hit retirement age.  You may find that your body may not want or be able to work.  Combine this with the passing of the bank of mom&dad and you too may have the recipe for homelessness.

We recently had a homeless visitor at our church. He’s younger seems fit able to work. As usual we introduced ourselves he was articulate. Week two he showed up wearing a dress and ponytail. Still seemingly normal. Myself and a couple of other older guys kept a sideways eye on him. We do have few military gentlemen who are armed as a precaution. He acted normal otherwise. After service I went with my wife to her office as usual. No worse from the experience. I was informed that the preachers husband, yes we have a lady minister. Informed the gentleman he was welcome and if he needed clothing we would help him out. We strive to have things be our normal. We all don’t fit in the same box. If you don’t try to harm me and mine. Get in my face and walk around unclothed. You’ll have no problems with me.

• Like 2

Saw Top Gun Maverick Tuesday afternoon. Enjoyed it. Much better than the first. It's well done. Sure there are some things that aren't technically correct, but it is entertaining for the  masses. Suggest you see it on the big screen, actually the biggest screen you can. Suggest you watch some of the Youtube videos on the making of it and how they got the shots. Actors earned their pay on this one with the training they went through.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Most likely will be taking my girl to the drive in this weekend to watch it. Should be fun

"Taking my girl to the drive-in" was once a common statement but I haven't heard it for decades!  I understand why drive-ins disappeared but I think could enjoy a bit of a come back in my area!  I've had occasion to drive through the local mall parking lot in the evening and see many young couples in need of a destination for their evening drive.  It makes for a fun evening to get out of the house and enjoy a movie in the comfort/privacy of your vehicle.  Funny anecdote:   My parents would allow my older sister to go to the drive-in with her boy friend as long as they took me.  I always felt special because my sister would always let me sit in the front seat during the movie while she and her boyfriend endured the poorer visibility in the backseat...  

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, customboss said:

Canadians have basic healthcare that allows them not to be bankrupted medically in most cases.  In US you have one MAJOR MEDICAL burp even with insurance and you can be wiped out no matter how much you saved. 

Irrevocable trust. 

• Like 1

Spent lots of nights at the drive in growing up and after. Every time a new Elvis flick came out we’d go as a family. Most of the time in New Jersey the sun goes down it cools off. In Texas forgetaboutit. The nighttime lows would be daytime heatwaves in New Jersey. I remember one in my Texas town 40 years ago. We went once in the winter. 

• Like 2

@DonstarFunny enough we normally sit in the truck bed to watch the movie. Nice fresh air and some good food. We just bring a small speaker to listen in.

My plan after getting the truck repainted next year or so is to put a spray in liner and then a bed rug so we can have something soft to lay on watching the movie. That would be nice 

• Like 2

Drive ins and drive throughs are testaments of our/my love for the automobile.  I think the only days I've not driven since I got my license were those occasions when I was sick in bed or hospitalized.  My love for driving was partially  inherited from my Dad.  I grew up in an environment where "going for a drive" was a real treat and often resulted in a meal served to us while we sat in the car.  Covid lock downs and restrictions were tolerable because I could always go out for a drive!  Soaring gas prices motivate me to look for ways to reduce gas consumption.  Miles driven remain about the same but longer trips are done in a 4cyl econo box. The truck is saved for special occasions.  I've also reserved a Silverado ev  as a proactive move to keep me driving and in a truck for as long as I am able! 

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Drive ins and drive throughs are testaments of our/my love for the automobile.  I think the only days I've not driven since I got my license were those occasions when I was sick in bed or hospitalized.  My love for driving was partially  inherited from my Dad.  I grew up in an environment where "going for a drive" was a real treat and often resulted in a meal served to us while we sat in the car.  Covid lock downs and restrictions were tolerable because I could always go out for a drive!  Soaring gas prices motivate me to look for ways to reduce gas consumption.  Miles driven remain about the same but longer trips are done in a 4cyl econo box. The truck is saved for special occasions.  I've also reserved a Silverado ev  as a proactive move to keep me driving and in a truck for as long as I am able! 

Exactly how I grew up. Washington state park and Geno’s chicken. KFC with burgers. Make sure your not part of the rolling blackouts like there’re  warning here. I always was first tying new things. My first car was a Mazda RX3. Had a olds diesel, that a bust. 94 new Ram and impala ss. Vette inspired trailblazer ss. Acura intagra type r. One the first Genesis sedans. If an electric vehicle is insanely fast, reasonably priced and goes 400 miles with the AC on I’ll be interested. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I grew up in an environment where "going for a drive" was a real treat and often resulted in a meal served to us while we sat in the car. 

Ditto. A & W in a town about 20 miles away for a Root Beer and Tenderloin. It was the half way point between our new home and the farm dad grew up on. He preferred to continue shopping in his home town. Big Box had not yet ruined small town North America. Those towns are all dead now with the new bypasses finished. Dad loved gravel roads.

My NEED for a drive lingers. 

I don't go anywhere because the drive is where I'm going. Wife likes to interfere with that dotting the drive with stops for this or that. I've made it a project now to find new more scenic roads strung together into routes that limit the places anyone would wish to stop. Ducking in here or there for a sandwich or bathroom break. But I underestimated her resolve. Her new interference is stopping to photograph old barns and sunsets. I've come to like her new hobby. We now call them the sunset drive. 

This gas price stupidity has had two effects on this drive. One is they are shorter and the other less frequent. Last night we decided the Honda was a better fit than the SUV. Less comfort but more suitable to the wallet. Next will be packing a lunch instead of finding a drive-in 😉 Lunch in a graveyard :) 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 8:35 AM, customboss said:

We talk a good line about helping people here south of the Canadian border but most homelessness is from mental illness or addiction. 

in Canada the BC government has just legalized hard drugs for the youth , Heroin, Fentanol, and benzodiazepines will be fed to the children, most likkey to steal thier futures and familiy properties away from the next generation. its controlled chaos, its engineered in failure by the local Gov.

I've seed drug dealers in Vancouver get puled by cops off the street, the cops take the drugs away from the dealer because he's carrying too much, yet they let the dealer go , no charges on these guys, complete insanity is going on here..

the locals are taking matters into their own hands now, many assasination hits have been carried out on the dealers and thier buddies, hence why Mr. Trudeu has banned the ownership of hand guns. Gov doesn't want thier agents getting killed by the community members

Edited by pokismoki
  • Confused 1

We all have choices. Drug addicts, alcoholics etc. Obesity included. A lot of people take the easy way or look for someone to fix their problems. If the will is there it can be overcome. FACT.

Homelessness is a choice also. 

I'm not homeless, an addict or an alcoholic by choice. I worked hard to get where I'm at like many others have. So I have no pity for the ones who haven't figured it out. I'll shut up because I could say things that will rub some people the wrong way.