Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

46 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

Here's something interesting  I found in my covid-19 quest for knowlege, this little gem tells me a lot!

Time to break open those Bibles .

Bible Scripture about spreading lies: 

https://www.openbible.info/topics/putting_away_falsehood

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

We received pictures yesterday of a grandchild taking a driving lesson on his parents' High Country.   This was cute and supports the continuous and real time communication I mentioned in my previous post. After the initial grandparent comments I wondered why  these pictures didn't show a compact sized driving school car?  During my uncommitted time I often surf through YouTube.  The other day I watched a few called something like, "Idiots behind the wheel".  These were dash cam or other devices capturing car accidents.  Some are unfortunate accidents but too many are a result of poor driving.  We all develop poor/lazy driving habits and should not be passing these on to our kids.  I went back to Driving School for my motorcycle endorsement at 60 years old.  I went to class confident that I was professionally trained with 44 years of experience.   If you haven't had a "refresher" in awhile you may be shocked at what you don't know. I was!   

My wife taught our kids (3) and 4 of our grandkids to drive so far, I taught her. Yes we got married that young. They

all started out in school parking lots with the basics. The toughest so far of course the middle child. She didn’t get her license until just before college at 18. My son the easiest at 16. He got his mother’s Z-28. My oldest got our Fiero GT. The second child got a mid 80s LTD. After her younger brother got his before she did. We didn’t just turn them loose. She went to college in a small town. She still managed to dent every corner.  She is now a very good driver. Having a child made the difference. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

You need to go to Putin’s Russia for a time. If you think Canada or US is that controlled or capable you are naive. Problem is your posting here is consistent with internet white supremacy and replacement theories. They soft sell it and naive folks perpetuate it by reposting  lies. 

21 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My wife taught our kids (3) and 4 of our grandkids to drive so far, I taught her. Yes we got married that young. They

all started out in school parking lots with the basics. The toughest so far of course the middle child. She didn’t get her license until just before college at 18. My son the easiest at 16. He got his mother’s Z-28. My oldest got our Fiero GT. The second child got a mid 80s LTD. After her younger brother got his before she did. We didn’t just turn them loose. She went to college in a small town. She still managed to dent every corner.  She is now a very good driver. Having a child made the difference. 

I thought I was able to drive prior to being old enough but chose formal lessons.  The incentive of reduced insurance premiums for driving school completion motivated me to receive additional training.    I also spent time guiding from the passenger seat with my wife and three kids but they all enrolled in a driving school.   Schools have the resources and trained instructors who are not emotionally connected with the driver.  They teach you how to operate and navigate a car as well as all of the current strategies to keep you safe while operating a vehicle.  My father was a licensed plumber and over the years I've done most household plumbing tasks.  I am confident that I have the tools and skills to do the plumbing for an entire house. However, I don't know what I don't know so I will always call a plumber for anything beyond the most basic DIY tasks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I thought I was able to drive prior to being old enough but chose formal lessons.  The incentive of reduced insurance premiums for driving school completion motivated me to receive additional training.    I also spent time guiding from the passenger seat with my wife and three kids but they all enrolled in a driving school.   Schools have the resources and trained instructors who are not emotionally connected with the driver.  They teach you how to operate and navigate a car as well as all of the current strategies to keep you safe while operating a vehicle.  My father was a licensed plumber and over the years I've done most household plumbing tasks.  I am confident that I have the tools and skills to do the plumbing for an entire house. However, I don't know what I don't know so I will always call a plumber for anything beyond the most basic DIY tasks!

We all had in school drivers Ed. And you get refresher courses if you get a ticket. For our 25th my wife treated me to the Richard Petty driving experience in Vegas. What a treat that was. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donstar said:

Great weekend!  July 1st Canada / July 4th United States!  Be proud everyone, and enjoy!!!

yes, be proud our countries have both been, and currently are ... infultrated by foreigners telling us what to.. think, act speak and how to live

Let me know when you come up with a good plan to stand up and take it all back. lol

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Donstar said:

Great weekend!  July 1st Canada / July 4th United States!  Be proud everyone, and enjoy!!!

I drank to that, back at ya!!! 

Edited by customboss
remove stupid racist crap we are all foreigners and immigrants
  • Like 1

I spent a lot of time during Covid sorting through old photos, film, and documents of the past.  I even found my parents' citizenship documents!  Reminiscing about the past sparks a whole gamut of emotions.  If we're lucky, our memories are happy and we refer to the past as the good old days.   The happy times in the past also had major personal and global strife.  Wishing for (or taking) it back, begs the question of to when?  Yes, going back to a twenty year old body with your current brain may reap some personal empowerment but it won't be nirvana.  We can all enjoy our respective country's celebration in a positive light, today.  We have a hell of a lot to appreciate!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I spent a lot of time during Covid sorting through old photos, film, and documents of the past.  I even found my parents' citizenship documents!  Reminiscing about the past sparks a whole gamut of emotions.  If we're lucky, our memories are happy and we refer to the past as the good old days.   The happy times in the past also had major personal and global strife.  Wishing for (or taking) it back, begs the question of to when?  Yes, going back to a twenty year old body with your current brain may reap some personal empowerment but it won't be nirvana.  We can all enjoy our respective country's celebration in a positive light, today.  We have a hell of a lot to appreciate!

Being an older person I lived through times like this before. This is nothing but a blip in time for most of my family. I don’t want to relive the past as overall blissful it has been. I’m confident that lesson are being learned by our current events. Adjustments will be made hopefully in November and again in two years. 

• Thanks 1

Tonight my oldest son and his family arrive from Texas after three days of driving.   This will be the first in-person contact with any of our children/grandchildren since Jan. 2020.  If this scenario was taking place 30 years ago, when my kids were the age of my grandchildren now, I'd be very unsettled.  As it is, technology has kept us very close.  Sure we're going to be ecstatic  when they hit our driveway but it won't be full of shocks and surprises. I had to laugh yesterday because we had three texters constantly updating us from my son's YukonXL while on route.   I believe a positive outcome of the Covid experience is people making a greater effort to communicate.  We have missed several routine visits with our children but we've talked more than ever before!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Tonight my oldest son and his family arrive from Texas after three days of driving.   This will be the first in-person contact with any of our children/grandchildren since Jan. 2020.  If this scenario was taking place 30 years ago, when my kids were the age of my grandchildren now, I'd be very unsettled.  As it is, technology has kept us very close.  Sure we're going to be ecstatic  when they hit our driveway but it won't be full of shocks and surprises. I had to laugh yesterday because we had three texters constantly updating us from my son's YukonXL while on route.   I believe a positive outcome of the Covid experience is people making a greater effort to communicate.  We have missed several routine visits with our children but we've talked more than ever before!  

I hope you have an in home Covid test after all your effort’s to stay clear. My overweight brother just came home from a family Florida trip experiencing allergy like symptoms. Testing positive. As well as one daughter. They rented a beach front house and all stayed there. A yearly event for them. They naturally stay to themselves. With the exception of my mother and mother in law that’s all my family members getting Covid. All but my oldest daughter had flu like or less symptoms. Good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks for the caution.  I know we have put ourselves at increased risk of exposure but everyone is healthy and aware.   Yesterday my teen grandson downloaded a game on my computer that he thought I'd like.  "Stellaris" is the name.   An hour or two was spent trying to get me in a position of grasping the gist of what I needed to do to play independently.   I suspect my background in gaming is far too inadequate to grasp the beginner's level of this game.  The fun for me is working with refining my grandson's teaching skills and testing his patience.  My understanding/appreciation/respect of a "gamers" world grew to a whole new level.   He does this in his spare time but still manages to be an A student and a young athlete.  He laughed when I mentioned the term "spare time" because he doesn't have any.  This is a good thing because idle time and teen years can be worrisome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1