Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

31 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I admire the physical ability of your neighbor but his cognitive strength is off.  In my teens I may have attempted a load ramp angle like this...but only once!

You could use the ramp to load one in the truck. Or back up to a hill load one in the truck. Or for the cost of those two ramps buy a bigger trailer. I’ve hauled lots of stuff. I’d have a problem hauling those like that. 

• Like 2

I got a text from my doctors office today prior to my appointment tomorrow. They bought back wait in your car until called in again. Of course wear a mask. I guess global warming gets on the back burner for a bug that everyone now says that’s no worse than a cold now. In this heat the cars going to run. So wearing a mask, cleaning your hands every ten feet and having people open the doors so you don’t touch them. Annnd staying 6 ft away isn’t enough. Let alone the sheet you have to fill out under penalty of getting hung if you lie. Say honestly I don’t have Covid, monkey pox, VD, or child hood illness. My wife just visited a friend in a nursing home. No mask required. I understand being cautious, they weren’t before? I got an idea schedule better. Don’t jam the waiting room. What happens if I answer a question wrong? I got an idea renew my meds, I don’t want to see you anyway. 

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:56 PM, customboss said:

Good 71 YO neighbor friend decided to ride his 4 wheeler on and off the trailer.......didn't work out so great. He started there.....ended up on his 71 YO back with that damn thing on his belly and mostly on the ramps PTL......

Don't try this at home kids....LOL  He's still digging out gravel from his back. Tough old codger.  Covid would be a dream...LOL image_2022-07-22_165416742.png.ba95452d53828bcf3bc2f38692604eda.png

Pretty effing stupid, imho. Had a friend die this way years back. Chest crushed, neck snapped

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, txab said:

Pretty effing stupid, imho. Had a friend die this way years back. Chest crushed, neck snapped

Agreed, he's losing it mentally/judgement  and almost lost his life.  

At the very least, longer ramps equal to the length of his trailer should lessen the angle to make it much safer so as not to be popping wheelies.  I can't imagine what a 1000 #s of toy resting on me feels like, nor do I want to

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, txab said:

At the very least, longer ramps equal to the length of his trailer should lessen the angle to make it much safer so as not to be popping wheelies.  I can't imagine what a 1000 #s of toy resting on me feels like, nor do I want to

Weak moment I suspect, he's smarter than that event.  As we age many of us ( me included ) lose some judgement in the heat of the moment. 

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Weak moment I suspect, he's smarter than that event.  As we age many of us ( me included ) lose some judgement in the heat of the moment. 

That ATV episode has me realizing that my arthritis maybe, sort of, is kind of a blessing in disguise. I don't do ladders anymore, heck I don't even step off a curb anymore without weighing the potential pain impact. And I certainly don't repeat the dumb stunts of my youth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, customboss said:

I find I go the other way as I get older....... less risky options. Perhaps it's because I've seen too many instances where someone took a chance with equipment and lost.

Although, I will admit, I'm a few years older than my dad was when I started scolding him for being on ladders or a roof. But I'm out there doing those things. Roofs only to about 5/12 pitch though.

Roger mentions youthful dumb stunts.... how many of us have stories to tell, that looking back, we should have been dead or at least maimed. :)  I raise my hand

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, txab said:

I find I go the other way as I get older....... less risky options. Perhaps it's because I've seen too many instances where someone took a chance with equipment and lost.

Although, I will admit, I'm a few years older than my dad was when I started scolding him for being on ladders or a roof. But I'm out there doing those things. Roofs only to about 5/12 pitch though.

Roger mentions youthful dumb stunts.... how many of us have stories to tell, that looking back, we should have been dead or at least maimed. :)  I raise my hand

Mostly behind the wheel. 

• Haha 1

Exactly!  Most of us who make it to our senior years appreciate that there were some very lucky moments along the way!  Now that we made it this far, we better take advantage of what we've learned!  You won't find me on the roof of my house because I know first hand what happens when you accidently take the fast way down the ladder.  I'm certain my body wouldn't be as forgiving as it was twenty years ago!

• Like 3

Our "cost of living" is growing faster than our covid fireside planning sessions predicted.  We are certainly not suffering but have to do things smarter to achieve our goals. As an example, we recently had five extra people living in our home for 10 days.  We budgeted accordingly for food and entertainment but were shocked by the spike in our electricity bill.  We determined our electric clothes dryer and hot water heater to be the main culprits.  We also realized that this unplanned expenditure will be an everyday occurrence if or when we transition to a Silverado EV!   We want to setup some solar panels to reduce cost and dependance on the power company but the initial expense would take too long to recoup. On Friday my wife and I brainstormed ways to reduce electrical consumption without shuffling the savings elsewhere.  After about two minutes we came up with a ridiculously simple, cheap and effective way to make a noticeable reduction in our electrical usage.  On Saturday, I installed a clothesline from our back porch to the back fence.  We've already done three loads of laundry with no dryer.  (Stiff towels brought back childhood memories!)  There was a time when clotheslines were frowned upon in urban neighbourhoods but our new "Solar Dryer" has received positive attention.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Our "cost of living" is growing faster than our covid fireside planning sessions predicted.  We are certainly not suffering but have to do things smarter to achieve our goals. As an example, we recently had five extra people living in our home for 10 days.  We budgeted accordingly for food and entertainment but were shocked by the spike in our electricity bill.  We determined our electric clothes dryer and hot water heater to be the main culprits.  We also realized that this unplanned expenditure will be an everyday occurrence if or when we transition to a Silverado EV!   We want to setup some solar panels to reduce cost and dependance on the power company but the initial expense would take too long to recoup. On Friday my wife and I brainstormed ways to reduce electrical consumption without shuffling the savings elsewhere.  After about two minutes we came up with a ridiculously simple, cheap and effective way to make a noticeable reduction in our electrical usage.  On Saturday, I installed a clothesline from our back porch to the back fence.  We've already done three loads of laundry with no dryer.  (Stiff towels brought back childhood memories!)  There was a time when clotheslines were frowned upon in urban neighbourhoods but our new "Solar Dryer" has received positive attention.

When we first arrived in Texas we were amazed how quickly clothes would dry outside. We were also amazed on how many critters hitch to hanging clothes. Forget about it if a flock of birds fly by. Then you add the amount of sweat you accumulate while outside. Once done you need a shower and change of clothes. The extra time in the basket plus the worry about spiders you end up putting them in the dryer anyway. At least here in Texas.

Paying for the rise in the cost of living isn't a problem for us. Do I like it? NO. Propane this this year will be the most expensive since moving here. My calculations show $1200 more for a year. Electricity also, $200 more. Food I don't want to know, gasoline the same.

Vehicles are only bought when necessary because we keep them a long time, not purchased to have the latest. 

The profits from our investments during our long ownership of vehicles pays for the next vehicle. 

Of course I'm still able to repair and maintain everything, my current repair is our fridges water dispenser. 

• Like 1