Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

10 hours ago, txab said:

Wonder why? I've got a client that's a Dr., I'll ask him I see next.

We've probably covered this before in this thread...... everyone getting the Shingles shot if you're eligible? Did mine last year

Normal human immunity drops dramatically at or near age 65 so its a massive pump of multi-valent. For older folks a pneumonia and shingles are smart to get. 

It is incredible how many things can go wrong in people.  Taking care of your health is an exercise in triage.  As you age, this becomes more evident.   We went for a couple of years when most health-related issues became secondary to avoiding Covid.  Now that Covid isn't top of mind, we need to face our own "next in line".   It's been several years since I've had a shingles vaccine and thanks for the reminder!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had an MRI at our local hospital on Sunday and was reminded of the habits acquired during Covid. We've been behaving like Covid is gone but it is still thriving in our communities.   At a minimum, I will do Christmas shopping in crowded malls/box stores wearing a mask.   There are an endless number of afflictions that will slow you down and no need to take unnecessary risks!  

• Like 1

Over the past several weeks I've lost much of the feeling in my right hand but continue to have decent muscle control.  This is attributed to "nerve root impingement" in my neck/upper back area. I am seeking help from overworked health care professionals and hoping to reverse, stop, or slow the progression.  This experience has given me a huge appreciation for those suffering with similar maladies and/or those with any type of prosthesis.  I had no idea how much we rely on the sense of feel.   It is a frightening experience with some unexpected ramifications.  The other day my wife and I were sitting in our recliners watching TV.  A natural reflex hit me as I put my right index finger to my ear to scratch an itch.  I yelped because I thought an intruder was touching me!  We laughed afterwards.   

• Like 3

I had coffee with a couple of previous work buddies who are both in their upper seventies.  I told them the story about my recent medical frustrations and followed by saying that I believe everyone has some type of health-related issue when they get to "our" ages.  They both responded by saying they haven't got there yet!  (I soon realized that they simply haven't looked.)   When I told them about my covid clean up with a focus on downsizing, they also "weren't there yet".   I'm not sure what they are waiting for because the time to prepare for tougher days is when you are able!  We are fortunate to have lived long enough to believe 70 is youthful in senior years.  However, it is still a lot of years and surprises happen.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I had coffee with a couple of previous work buddies who are both in their upper seventies.  I told them the story about my recent medical frustrations and followed by saying that I believe everyone has some type of health-related issue when they get to "our" ages.  They both responded by saying they haven't got there yet!  (I soon realized that they simply haven't looked.)   When I told them about my covid clean up with a focus on downsizing, they also "weren't there yet".   I'm not sure what they are waiting for because the time to prepare for tougher days is when you are able!  We are fortunate to have lived long enough to believe 70 is youthful in senior years.  However, it is still a lot of years and surprises happen.

Most folks ignore the inevitable and prefer circumstance or others decide for them. Human nature for most I have observed. You are the exception Donstar. 

• Like 2

We live in a two story bedrooms up. We built a second house 15 years ago with a separate long driveway on the back of our property. Our supposed retirement house we rent out. We have lots of stuff. Or I should say my wife has lots of stuff. She collects, even sold on EBay 20 years ago for ten years. Loves yard sales. Pretty much the only things we bought new were appliances and TVs. Everything in our home is high end furniture but bought used. You’d never know. From her Acura Type R to her McDonald’s happy meal collection and everything in between there’s lots of collectibles. If we ever move back there. I told my wife we’re going to auction off everything. Except what we take to the back house.  If that happens. There’s talk of a chair lift for the stairs. Getting rid of stuff too fast could mean valuables being missed. I’ve warned the kids go through stuff slowly. I actually vote for leave it up to the kids. There’s memories in that stuff for them. If not so be it. I definitely don’t want to look at an empty house anticipating my departure. 

• Like 2

Great point, Karnut!  Downsizing needs to reflect your current and future needs.  My wife would have us in an apartment with one small car to share.  Fortunately, she doesn't push this as she knows I wouldn't do well in such a restricted environment.  However, the reality is there are plans and projects that will never happen between now and my 100th birthday.  My kids are all 40+ and may want some mementos but don't need my treasures!  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Great point, Karnut!  Downsizing needs to reflect your current and future needs.  My wife would have us in an apartment with one small car to share.  Fortunately, she doesn't push this as she knows I wouldn't do well in such a restricted environment.  However, the reality is there are plans and projects that will never happen between now and my 100th birthday.  My kids are all 40+ and may want some mementos but don't need my treasures!  

I actually was soon after retiring the one looking into one of those 55 up villages near me. Once I ran the numbers I realized I could stay at home in my old age. Hiring services and help once I couldn’t do them myself. Eight years in my retirement the town is getting closer and my property value has doubled. I’ve learned to spread the chores out to lessen recovery. The hardest was not being so ******. Right now doesn’t always has to be. Good enough sometimes is so. The avalanche doesn’t always have to sparkle. A couple leaves can be on the deck and so on. I’m less achy at 67 than when I first retired at 58. 

Just now, KARNUT said:

I actually was soon after retiring the one looking into one of those 55 up villages near me. Once I ran the numbers I realized I could stay at home in my old age. Hiring services and help once I couldn’t do them myself. Eight years in my retirement the town is getting closer and my property value has doubled. I’ve learned to spread the chores out to lessen recovery. The hardest was not being so ******. Right now doesn’t always has to be. Good enough sometimes is so. The avalanche doesn’t always have to sparkle. A couple leaves can be on the deck and so on. I’m less achy at 67 than when I first retired at 58. 

WOW they x out a word that rhymes with panel without the p. 

I went for an eye exam yesterday and full covid protocols were in place.  (I was actually pleased as there is a lot of close contact in a confined space).  At the conclusion of the exam my optometrist recommended cataract surgery in both eyes!  It seems I've hit a stage when every medical type of appointment ends with scheduling some sort of procedure!  They all require some convalescing time and/or support.   It is all manageable but demonstrates the need to keep up to date on chores, projects and finances!  

• Like 4