Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

7 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I grew up in the city before it was common for dog owner to pick up after their pets.  We always played outside and were adept at cleaning dog crap off of our shoes.  A couple of swipes at the curb and a few slides on somebody's lawn had you ready for the next encounter!  😉 

Didn’t expect that answer, that says a lot. 

• Haha 1

I grew up in the country with a German Shepherd. I mean dirt road country. The little stretches of homes with manicured lawns would expect you to clean up after your dog. I saw the point even in the sixties. Now in the cities there’s leash laws and in most subdivisions. Rightly so. They pick up strays. I live in a non HOA acreage subdivision. No leash law’s here. No strays to speak up. I fenced in about 1/4 acre with a large deck and large dog house. Doggy heaven. The rest of the yard is clean and sanitary. Even here people walk their dog on a leash. One renter of my house on the back of my property on his own fenced in an acre for his medium size dog. Good dog owner. Of course if you let your pet run free out here the wolves and other critters will take care of them. It kinda of forces good  pet ownership out here. 

Edited by KARNUT

7 hours ago, Donstar said:

Do they have future (prototypes) trucks on display?  I am curious if GM is going to respond to the Ford Maverick.  These small trucks and all EV's are very popular here.  I believe the demand differs based on fuel prices.  We are currently paying about the same for a liter of gas as you're paying for a gallon!

They had what is being produced or will be produced as soon as chips are back in supply. They didn't have any George Jetson stuff.  :crackup:

The displays are so people can see what cars they might be interested in buying and be able to compare them basically side by side. Lots of decisions were made on car models people were going to purchase. No high pressure sales people there bugging you. But if want want more detail or info, the people that are there are better informed than the local sales yokel. These people knew these vehicles inside and out in detail

Edited by txab
  • Like 2

This is our Thanksgiving weekend when we typically stay home and cook a turkey to share with family and/or friends.   Last night we decided to go to a local restaurant for their turkey dinner.  We took a friend along whose family dinner plans were dashed by the host getting covid.  A part of me missed the chaos of coordinating a big meal but there was a lot of positives sitting at a table being served.  No stress and no mess!   The time saved in preparation and cleanup was spent having quality time with each other!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

This is our Thanksgiving weekend when we typically stay home and cook a turkey to share with family and/or friends.   Last night we decided to go to a local restaurant for their turkey dinner.  We took a friend along whose family dinner plans were dashed by the host getting covid.  A part of me missed the chaos of coordinating a big meal but there was a lot of positives sitting at a table being served.  No stress and no mess!   The time saved in preparation and cleanup was spent having quality time with each other!  

About 8 years ago now my wife had a surgery that was botched by the surgeon. It took a year to be realized. What followed was 5 more surgeries for correction. During that time and on I help around the house. What used to be called women's work. I never could imagine what goes into a large family meal, it never stops. As things have gotten back to normal I continue to help inside of the house. My laundry, load the dishwasher etc. My wife says it’s sexy for a man to help the wife. That definitely would have been frowned upon just a decade before. I do wonder sometimes as I’m doing yard work how that could transfer to outside. She’s not outdoorsy, with her fair skin she claims. My wife’s little nudges are a fine art. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Talk about fur babies, out small indoor dog has definitely grown more attached  to the family as we were either working from home or just not going out as much past year or two. It understood we were there all the time and enjoyed the company.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:03 AM, KARNUT said:

About 8 years ago now my wife had a surgery that was botched by the surgeon. It took a year to be realized. What followed was 5 more surgeries for correction. During that time and on I help around the house. What used to be called women's work. I never could imagine what goes into a large family meal, it never stops. As things have gotten back to normal I continue to help inside of the house. My laundry, load the dishwasher etc. My wife says it’s sexy for a man to help the wife. That definitely would have been frowned upon just a decade before. I do wonder sometimes as I’m doing yard work how that could transfer to outside. She’s not outdoorsy, with her fair skin she claims. My wife’s little nudges are a fine art. 

In the '70's my wife and I were about 50/50 with the domestic stuff.  We both lived on our own prior to marriage and were both capable of all the common household tasks.  Funny, over the decades our chosen duties have taken on somewhat of a traditional/stereotypical appearance, but we don't feel one contributes more than the other.   Our kids grew up knowing which parent typically does their laundry or who will likely fix their bike but never associated gender to a chore

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

In the '70's my wife and I were about 50/50 with the domestic stuff.  We both lived on our own prior to marriage and were both capable of all the common household tasks.  Funny, over the decades our chosen duties have taken on somewhat of a traditional/stereotypical appearance, but we don't feel one contributes more than the other.   Our kids grew up knowing which parent typically does their laundry or who will likely fix their bike but never associated gender to a chore

That’s good you were able to do that. Most of our young lives i was traveling about 100 miles to a job site. Leaving at 4 am returning at 7pm. Mostly 7 days a week building a business. Rain out days at the shop doing repairs on equipment. Dog tired was the rule. That was the first 30 years. As the younger generation started taking over I was able to be around more. When my wife first had problems she was our secretary. I took over for her at the office and at home while she recovered. My early retirement and sale of my part of the business was tied to her recovery. All is pretty much normal now. My domestic duties are to help in part. My ocd is the other part. Much to my wife’s amusement. It’s like knock yourself out. Cooking is a line I can’t cross. The exception is my breakfast. I’m a morning person she isn’t. Yard work or anything mechanical is all me. She’s not an outside girl. Too fair skin. She made that clear day one. Our beautiful deck is enjoyed by her dog.  

• Like 1

Good grief, Charlie Brown!  I went to Lowe's yesterday to buy a bag of potting soil and had to pass Christmas displays to get to the garden centre!    We're experiencing August weather c/w watering restrictions in the middle of October!  The past few years have exposed us to a variety of extremes and unpredicted events.  Covid has taught me to be more prepared than ever before.  Yesterday my shopping list also included buying gas for my snow thrower.  Just because I'm working in the garden wearing a t-shirt this week doesn't guarantee no snow for next week!  

• Like 1

Mrs. Bear and I got our flu shots this week. Because of my 'age' they put a little sumpth'n sumpth'n extra in it. I'm guessing it was live flu virus. (Not really 😉 ). Haven't had 3-1/2 plus days of chills and bone aches like that in awhile.  Time to go curl up on the sofa and watch Ohio slap Iowa around some. :crackup:Keep the pain live!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Mrs. Bear and I got our flu shots this week. Because of my 'age' they put a little sumpth'n sumpth'n extra in it. I'm guessing it was live flu virus. (Not really 😉 ). Haven't had 3-1/2 plus days of chills and bone aches like that in awhile.  Time to go curl up on the sofa and watch Ohio slap Iowa around some. :crackup:Keep the pain live!!

p u ss y!   :crackup:

Edited by txab
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We get our flu shots this week.  Hopefully it doesn't result in down time!  My wife and I also book our vaccinations together and at a time when we don't have anything else planned.  Chances are good one of us will need some TLC post shots but hopefully future serious illness will be prevented!

My normal flu is pretty much over in three days. I was thinking about getting one for the first time. This reminds me of my Covid shot. The second shot reaction was worse than when I got Covid. Meanwhile my wife had less symptoms with Covid, that she got from me. Without getting a Covid vaccine. Once again for people who get hysterical reading unseen words. I’m not saying don’t get the flu shot. I’m not.

The covid experience still gets credited for many changes in our habits.  We have become much more prepared for "events".  If we're getting low on supplies or need to take care of a health-related item or have a needed house repair, we do it.    Last night my wife was musing about our preparedness.  The weather is getting colder and she asked, "What do we have in case our electricity and gas fail at the same time?"   Power interruptions happen occasionally but our gas fireplace will keep us warm.   We keep plenty of food, water and extra medications on hand but she posed a good question.  As a result, today we're shopping for an extra source of heat.  Wood is not an option for our house but diesel or propane come to mind.  Do you have a recommendation for a reasonably priced, emergency heat source? Tks.