Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

1 minute ago, Donstar said:

The covid experience still gets credited for many changes in our habits.  We have become much more prepared for "events".  If we're getting low on supplies or need to take care of a health-related item or have a needed house repair, we do it.    Last night my wife was musing about our preparedness.  The weather is getting colder and she asked, "What do we have in case our electricity and gas fail at the same time?"   Power interruptions happen occasionally but our gas fireplace will keep us warm.   We keep plenty of food, water and extra medications on hand but she posed a good question.  As a result, today we're shopping for an extra source of heat.  Wood is not an option for our house but diesel or propane come to mind.  Do you have a recommendation for a reasonably priced, emergency heat source? Tks.

My total backup generator system with generator, transfer switch and cable was 3K. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My total backup generator system with generator, transfer switch and cable was 3K. 

You got off cheap on that. What genset and how many watts? I had to have an electrician wire to the NE side of house and install an interlock so I can play flight engineer again and pick and choose what gets power.  Honda EU 7000is fuel injected for the altitude. I roll it out of garage and plug and play.  In snow and wind its invigorating.....LOL    PS I am all electric since I cannot cut wood anymore. 

Edited by customboss
add all electric
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, customboss said:

You got off cheap on that. What genset and how many watts? I had to have an electrician wire to the NE side of house and install an interlock so I can play flight engineer again and pick and choose what gets power.  Honda EU 7000is fuel injected for the altitude. I roll it out of garage and plug and play.  In snow and wind its invigorating.....LOL    PS I am all electric since I cannot cut wood anymore. 

50 amp inverted, 30 amp to the house with interlock. Set in my detached garage with an exhaust extension to go under garage door. 50 ft cord made by the electrician who set up interlock. I run it two hours once a month. Probably the only use it will get. It’s been 20 years since we lost electricity for more than one hour. Done at my wife’s request.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

50 amp inverted, 30 amp to the house with interlock. Set in my detached garage with an exhaust extension to go under garage door. 50 ft cord made by the electrician who set up interlock. I run it two hours once a month. Probably the only use it will get. It’s been 20 years since we lost electricity for more than one hour. Done at my wife’s request.

Oh yea the generator is a harbor freight inverter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

Oh yea the generator is a harbor freight inverter 

I couldn't cheap out that way here since we are dependent on that gen firing up and living.  I have had excursions to 13,000 watts temporarily and the Honda kept running and powering.  On econ it will run 18 hours.  

Your set up is ideal. 

Thought about the exhaust port but we have too many mice, worse packrats that will make your day hell if they enter the garage or any building!  All they want is a place to chew.   My neighbors learned the hard way a new garage must have a concrete floor or the packs chew and dig under the wall to nirvana inside....LOL 

1 minute ago, customboss said:

I couldn't cheap out that way here since we are dependent on that gen firing up and living.  I have had excursions to 13,000 watts temporarily and the Honda kept running and powering.  On econ it will run 18 hours.  

Your set up is ideal. 

Thought about the exhaust port but we have too many mice, worse packrats that will make your day hell if they enter the garage or any building!  All they want is a place to chew.   My neighbors learned the hard way a new garage must have a concrete floor or the packs chew and dig under the wall to nirvana inside....LOL 

I definitely would have gotten a whole home standby if needed. If I didn’t have a detached garage I probably would have. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I definitely would have gotten a whole home standby if needed. If I didn’t have a detached garage I probably would have. 

Most of the neighbors have those made by GENERAC ( POS) and CUMMINS ( Cadillac of power gen).  The pocket book was a bit thin for those. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, customboss said:

Most of the neighbors have those made by GENERAC ( POS) and CUMMINS ( Cadillac of power gen).  The pocket book was a bit thin for those. 

My brother and mother live north of me and have a less reliable electric company. About two years ago he got a discount for buying two generacs. He wanted me to get   Involved to get a better discount. I declined. So far they seem fine. They have a package where they take care of maintenance. 

• Like 1

Yes, if $'s weren't an issue, we'd be independent and using the power company as backup!   As long as our house is habitable we will be safe without power, gas or water for a prolonged period.  If such a disaster happens during a cold spell we would be uncomfortably cold without a portable heater.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

Yes, if $'s weren't an issue, we'd be independent and using the power company as backup!   As long as our house is habitable we will be safe without power, gas or water for a prolonged period.  If such a disaster happens during a cold spell we would be uncomfortably cold without a portable heater.  

If you have gas you could put a couple of room gas heaters in. A couple decades ago that’s how the heated houses in Texas. Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms around. 

14 hours ago, Donstar said:

We get our flu shots this week.  Hopefully it doesn't result in down time!  My wife and I also book our vaccinations together and at a time when we don't have anything else planned.  Chances are good one of us will need some TLC post shots but hopefully future serious illness will be prevented!

Seems one is not to get the 'enhanced' shot if they've had any previous flu vaccine. Who knew? 

Wonder why? I've got a client that's a Dr., I'll ask him I see next.

We've probably covered this before in this thread...... everyone getting the Shingles shot if you're eligible? Did mine last year

No on the shingles shot, a few years back it was my understanding that it was made with "live" virus components. I'm not sure if that was or is still true but not wanting to risk introducing anything like that into my innards without some research. I'm 67 and my immune system is pretty good still.  More concerned with the new covid strains, they test the sewer water here for the virus and it's rising pretty fast and will only get worse as ppl spend more time indoors for the winter so the latest booster is on my agenda. Never heard that about the flu shot, let us know what the doctor says. I get 1 every year and got the over 65 last time with no ill effects

Edited by richard wysong