Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I understand different positions of animal ownership. Being raised on a farm I experienced life and death of animals. I recently started a thread about losing my buddy, Max the cat. Still miss him dearly. I would give $10 K to have him back.

One special cat and we have had quite a few.聽馃槀

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Our post covid road trip plans are delayed largely due to the added burden of travelling with an old dog.聽 She doesn't do stairs and can't go through the night without one or more trips outside.聽 This is problematic when staying in motels or other people's homes.聽 We recently discovered our furry friend is diabetic and we now give her two injections per day.聽 (Years ago, I would've called anyone nuts for doing this, especially for an older dog.)聽 聽 We discovered she was diabetic while she was being tested in preparation for oral surgery.聽 Keeping the diabetes managed makes her much more energetic as well a sleeping through the night.聽 Ironically, she is now fit for a road trip but our travel budget will now be going to fund her vet's holiday plans! 馃槈

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Our post covid road trip plans are delayed largely due to the added burden of travelling with an old dog.聽 She doesn't do stairs and can't go through the night without one or more trips outside.聽 This is problematic when staying in motels or other people's homes.聽 We recently discovered our furry friend is diabetic and we now give her two injections per day.聽 (Years ago, I would've called anyone nuts for doing this, especially for an older dog.)聽 聽 We discovered she was diabetic while she was being tested in preparation for oral surgery.聽 Keeping the diabetes managed makes her much more energetic as well a sleeping through the night.聽 Ironically, she is now fit for a road trip but our travel budget will now be going to fund her vet's holiday plans! 馃槈

Not to demean you post but the first few sentences had me thinking of my wife, I always have to get the lower motel rooms because of her knees being shot.聽

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, customboss said:

Not to demean you post but the first few sentences had me thinking of my wife, I always have to get the lower motel rooms because of her knees being shot.聽

I don't do stairs well either.聽 Carrying a dog while doing so would have disastrous consequences!

• Like 1

I don鈥檛 travel with pets. Pets have the opposite effect on me. They make me anxious. I go the extra mile with a house-dog sitter. Taking your pet to other peoples homes is like forcing people to watch your vacation films. Especially if they have dogs. Your pet is invading their territory. So everyone is anxious. My brother in law bought his lab over once, we had two little dogs. It wasn鈥檛 pretty. I made him take it home. I think it鈥檚 selfish, leave them home. Sorry there鈥檚 little exceptions. I mean really, think about it.聽

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I don鈥檛 travel with pets. Pets have the opposite effect on me. They make me anxious. I go the extra mile with a house-dog sitter. Taking your pet to other peoples homes is like forcing people to watch your vacation films. Especially if they have dogs. Your pet is invading their territory. So everyone is anxious. My brother in law bought his lab over once, we had two little dogs. It wasn鈥檛 pretty. I made him take it home. I think it鈥檚 selfish, leave them home. Sorry there鈥檚 little exceptions. I mean really, think about it.聽

As you suggest, there are exceptions.聽 This dog is an extraordinarily good traveler and we don't take her where she is not welcome.聽 The diversity in dogs behavior can be profound and we know we got very lucky with this one.聽 聽We thought聽she may give us a challenge when we started giving her a needle after her meals.聽 However, after the first day she voluntarily comes to us when she's finished eating, sits, and waits patiently for her insulin!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Donstar said:

As you suggest, there are exceptions.聽 This dog is an extraordinarily good traveler and we don't take her where she is not welcome.聽 The diversity in dogs behavior can be profound and we know we got very lucky with this one.聽 聽We thought聽she may give us a challenge when we started giving her a needle after her meals.聽 However, after the first day she voluntarily comes to us when she's finished eating, sits, and waits patiently for her insulin!

That鈥檚 probably true for you. Some people are like every one loves my baby. I figure I鈥檓 finally old enough 聽I can state my case and do. Honestly I don鈥檛 tolerate too many peoples self righteousness. I see way too many people with service dogs. I鈥檓 like really? My exemption of course is people who serve. Nothing too good for them. The rest go volunteer.聽

• Sad 1

Went to the State Fair of Texas on Saturday. Looked at every new car model from all manufacturers. Lot of money parked in those display buildings. Chevy had their test drive courses set up for cars and trucks. I drove a 2500HD $80k as it sat. Drove well, was comfortable. Was a nice day. Temps were decent. Not too crowded. Stayed for about 5 hours. Ate a giant corn dog. No giant turkey legs though. Didn't eat any of the various oddities that could be fried

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

聽Some people are like every one loves my baby.聽

True.聽 Whether human baby or fur baby yours is the best!聽 This is a good thing!聽 When we take our dog to the vet, we feel like the entire staff are excited to see our baby and that she is extra special.聽 This in turn makes us feel respected and continue as loyal customers.聽 The same applies with people.聽 When I worked in the school system, I learned early on about mama bear and papa bear. Once a parent thinks you don't like their child, they won't like you!聽 Conversely, the more good stuff you say about their child, the more good they'll say about you!聽聽

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, txab said:

Went to the State Fair of Texas on Saturday. Looked at every new car model from all manufacturers. Lot of money parked in those display buildings. Chevy had their test drive courses set up for cars and trucks. I drove a 2500HD $80k as it sat. Drove well, was comfortable. Was a nice day. Temps were decent. Not too crowded. Stayed for about 5 hours. Ate a giant corn dog. No giant turkey legs though. Didn't eat any of the various oddities that could be fried

Do they have future (prototypes) trucks on display?聽 I am curious if GM is going to respond to the Ford Maverick.聽 These small trucks and all EV's are very popular here.聽 I believe the demand differs based on fuel prices.聽 We are currently paying about the same for a liter of gas as you're paying for a gallon!

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Donstar said:

True.聽 Whether human baby or fur baby yours is the best!聽 This is a good thing!聽 When we take our dog to the vet, we feel like the entire staff are excited to see our baby and that she is extra special.聽 This in turn makes us feel respected and continue as loyal customers.聽 The same applies with people.聽 When I worked in the school system, I learned early on about mama bear and papa bear. Once a parent thinks you don't like their child, they won't like you!聽 Conversely, the more good stuff you say about their child, the more good they'll say about you!聽聽

My wife treats her little dog like a baby. It behaves like one. I probably should have stated I could tell you take other peoples feelings-allergies into account. I felt compelled to remind people that there are some that feel different. Especially if you venture off the concrete or walking paths in rest areas or walking parks. I go to a walking path every day. Half don鈥檛 clean up after. Kids are running all over. If I see it happening I ask the owner nicely if they can read. There are signs all over and bag dispensers. I don鈥檛 have a road rage problem. Seeing a disrespectful animal owner can get a reaction from me. Especially where kids are involved.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My wife treats her little dog like a baby. It behaves like one. I probably should have stated I could tell you take other peoples feelings-allergies into account. I felt compelled to remind people that there are some that feel different. Especially if you venture off the concrete or walking paths in rest areas or walking parks. I go to a walking path every day. Half don鈥檛 clean up after. Kids are running all over. If I see it happening I ask the owner nicely if they can read. There are signs all over and bag dispensers. I don鈥檛 have a road rage problem. Seeing a disrespectful animal owner can get a reaction from me. Especially where kids are involved.

Sound like a cranky old man........do you yell at the TV too?聽 LOL聽聽

2 minutes ago, customboss said:

Sound like a cranky old man........do you yell at the TV too?聽 LOL聽聽

I鈥檓 actually pretty laid back. No I just change the channel. The retirement life is golden. Heaven on earth, I鈥檓 blessed. You throw that confused thingy around quite often. I stick up for kids. I hate seeing them fall down and come up with dog ****** all over them. Still confused?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

I鈥檓 actually pretty laid back. No I just change the channel. The retirement life is golden. Heaven on earth, I鈥檓 blessed. You throw that confused thingy around quite often. I stick up for kids. I hate seeing them fall down and come up with dog ****** all over them. Still confused?

Stan,.... love ya man.聽

• Haha 1

I grew up in the city before it was common for dog owner to pick up after their pets.聽 We always played outside and were adept at cleaning dog crap off of our shoes.聽 A couple of swipes at the curb and a few slides on somebody's lawn had you ready for the next encounter!聽 馃槈