Half ton duramax or mid size duramax?

Hey folks, I’m just starting to shop for a truck. At first I was thinking midsize with the duramax, but with all the recent ravings about the new 1/2 ton duramax I’m debating biting the bullet and going up to the full size. Has anyone downsized and regretted it? Has anyone upsized and regretted it? 

My head to head comparison goes as follows:

Price: midsize by $10k

size: midsize, but not by that much since I want the long bed on the mid size.

amenities: full size has more driver assists, better cameras, fancy tailgate. 
economy: it sounds like its probably a wash. The new 3.0 is reporting the same or better as the 2.8. 
reliability: midsize, only because the new 3.0 is brand new. 

Comfort: full size
capability: full size. I’ll only be towing a car on a open carrier for the time being but there is no denying that towing 6000#s will be more easily handled by the full size

capacity: full size seats 6 and simply has more space everywhere.

any thoughts or suggestions? 

Thanks!

For the trailer, I'd lean to the 3.0 in the 1/2 ton.  Colorado can do it, but you've got less payload and smaller brakes.  

I had a Colorado Diesel for 2 years and loved it.  Pulls trailers great, but you've got to be down to the ounce with the measurements with towing.  6000lbs of trailer.  Lets split the difference for tongue weight so 750lbs will be on the tongue.  My truck had a payload of 1340lbs (crew cab 5ft box).  That would leave 590lbs of payload.  My fat a$$ is 230lbs.  That would leave me 360lbs remainder payload.  That is maybe 1 person and a smidge of gear.  

Edited by newdude

The 10 speed with the 3.0 is quite a lot better than the 2.8’s 8 speed.

I would move down a trim level in the full-size before I’d buy the Canyon / Colorado. You’re basically buying a 5 year old new truck, resale will reflect that. Plus even the crew cab is cramped back there, and not all that comfortable in the front either. 

Not sure what trucks in particular you’re looking at, but I’ve seen some diesel Silverado LT / RSTs in the low to mid 40s and they can be equipped almost as high as a Canyon Denali. Go up to the LTZ or Sierra SLT and it’s a total runaway for the full size as far as features and value.

• Like 1

I currently have both.  Wife tows her horse trailer ... so thats about 6000lbs.  Tows hundreds of miles without issue. But that mid size line is due for a major makeover.

Personally though, Id suggest the full size.  The cameras and goodies are just soooooo worth it.  Make sure you get the trailering stuff with the tire sensors.  Really cool.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

The 10 speed with the 3.0 is quite a lot better than the 2.8’s 8 speed.

I would move down a trim level in the full-size before I’d buy the Canyon / Colorado. You’re basically buying a 5 year old new truck, resale will reflect that. Plus even the crew cab is cramped back there, and not all that comfortable in the front either. 

Not sure what trucks in particular you’re looking at, but I’ve seen some diesel Silverado LT / RSTs in the low to mid 40s and they can be equipped almost as high as a Canyon Denali. Go up to the LTZ or Sierra SLT and it’s a total runaway for the full size as far as features and value.

2.8 has the 6L50 in the Colorado/Canyon.  The Express van gets the 8L90.

• Thanks 1

I had a 2017 Colorado with the V6/8 Spd for a year.  I did not tow with it but on the Ike Gantlet is spanked the 2.8 Diesel pretty significantly.  While I loved the Colorado for driving around, it wasn't really so good for truck stuff.  It could only haul 1000 lbs in the bed with me and a full tank of fuel.  The 3.0 in a 1500 is a LOT more tuck than the Colorado with any engine. 

Not much to add but just picked up a 2020 AT4 Diesel and we LOVE it! Wife has never driven a full size truck, but with all the safety features and tech she feels really comfortable driving it. 

We decided to make this our family car with 2 car seats in the back and it is so spacious and comfortable. Bumps are firm and it floats a bit, but I have no regrets going full size. 

The 3.0L and 10 speed are super smooth and we can't stop raving about this truck. 

I have had them both. Had the 2016 2.8 Canyon for 40K miles and now have a 2020 SLT 3.0 Duramax. They both have their place but if towing is any part of the equation I would go full size. The little diesel will tow fine but the truck is overall just too small(light) and it seems the trailer is overpowering the truck if there is any hills or wind to deal with. This and the rear seat room is too tight for hauling anything of size or for any longer distance travel passengers. I could not be happier with the new 3.0 Duramax SLT even though the size took some getting used too as i have driven the mid size truck for a lot of years. Now, i could never go back. The fuel economy is slightly better on the Canyon (2-3MPG overall) but the benefits far outweigh that. 

Thanks for the feedback folks! The towing will be infrequent(1-2 time a month in the fair weather months at most) but I am concerned about the weight of the canyon getting overwhelmed by the trailer. Otherwise it’ll be my daily driver. Parking the full size is not something I look forward to if I go anywhere near the city(seattle) but as some of you pointed out, the camera systems on the SLT and up are pretty nice.

thanks!

12 minutes ago, Emarshall said:

Thanks for the feedback folks! The towing will be infrequent(1-2 time a month in the fair weather months at most) but I am concerned about the weight of the canyon getting overwhelmed by the trailer. Otherwise it’ll be my daily driver. Parking the full size is not something I look forward to if I go anywhere near the city(seattle) but as some of you pointed out, the camera systems on the SLT and up are pretty nice.

thanks!

The size does take some getting used to but I generally don’t have a lot of trouble parking in Milwaukee or Chicago. Even in parking structures it’s all doable. Just stay away from the lifted models and stay with a short box if you can.

No tech package on SLT, so if you want ALL the cameras you’d need an LTZ, High Country, AT4 or Denali. AT4 is lifted.

Parking is pretty easy with a full-size half ton.  Anything up to a crew cab standard bed is not much issue.  If you look at parking lots, a crew cab long bed--especially a dually--usually gets parked in the back of the lot.  Anything shorter is fine.