Jobs after covo-19

KARNUT

15 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

A bit of advice, don’t tell anyone. We were faced with that in the 70s. High taxes, overpriced housing, unfriendly atmosphere. I had just bought a house. My father owned business, a few homes. It was a high stress environment. The great state of New Jersey. We collectively moved to Texas. We started over. It was a blessing. It took 15 years for my property taxes to equal what I paid in New Jersey in the 70s. My home and property would be worth several million in New Jersey. I paid 110K 20 years ago. It would have been 500K in New Jersey. I would advise moving if you can. There’s nice homes around me for under 200K. I bought a 2 story for my daughter 2 years ago for 149K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where our work is and where our families are. She can't work outside of Canada and I won't find many refineries anywhere else. At least the refineries lighten our tax load. It's nice to actually have our snow plowed and our potholes repaired. That doesn't happen much in the next county over. 

• Like 1

Think I'll go back to school. Take math over. 

USA has 4% of the world population

USA has 31% of the confirmed COVID-19 cases

USA has 26% of the worlds COVID-19 deaths.

Extra testing has only had a two day impact on the result since Jan 1. 

Think I'll stay in my room and study. Doesn't sound safe out there. 

23 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

This is where our work is and where our families are. She can't work outside of Canada and I won't find many refineries anywhere else. At least the refineries lighten our tax load. It's nice to actually have our snow plowed and our potholes repaired. That doesn't happen much in the next county over. 

I loved refinery work. Really miss it. Especially the 'Turn Around'. I'd have done the job for free just for the education. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I loved refinery work. Really miss it. Especially the 'Turn Around'. I'd have done the job for free just for the education. 

I worked 5 in my first 6 years at the refinery. Became their go-to guy for technical support in turnarounds. Now my boss says my work is too important to go help out with them any more. Also, I have to give the younger folks their chance to learn and have fun too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I worked 5 in my first 6 years at the refinery. Became their go-to guy for technical support in turnarounds. Now my boss says my work is too important to go help out with them any more. Also, I have to give the younger folks their chance to learn and have fun too. 

You guys must have done "units" at a time. We did them as total outage about once very 5 years. When you've crawled around inside a few columns distillation takes on a whole new meaning. About the only unit I didn't work in was the HF-Alky. I'd rather play Russian Roulette with five in the cylinder. Better odds. 

At the end I was writing training manuals, operation manuals and training cherries. Worked instrument during turnaround. Most of the time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You guys must have done "units" at a time. We did them as total outage about once very 5 years. When you've crawled around inside a few columns distillation takes on a whole new meaning. About the only unit I didn't work in was the HF-Alky. I'd rather play Russian Roulette with five in the cylinder. Better odds. 

At the end I was writing training manuals, operation manuals and training cherries. Worked instrument during turnaround. Most of the time. 

Correct.  Management was always very resistant to a site-wide outage.  We may end up doing one in the next 5 years or so to allow us to work on the utilities unit and a few things like that.

I worked as the HF Alky Tech Contact for about 2 and a half years and did two turnarounds (they brought me back for the second one after I'd been out for about a year - the Alky network is like Hotel California; you can check out but you can never leave).  You have to take a few extra precautions but it's manageable.  I also find it one of the more interesting technologies in the refinery.  We don't do a lot of chemical reaction in our other units.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, HeySkippyDog said:

That much is yet to be seen. My work is closely tied to air travel and commercial aviation, and it's not looking good.

But let's all lose our jobs because the retired people can't stay home. I'm sure you-know-who will be along shortly with his statistics as to why we should stay shut down until 2022.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Spent 37 years of working up to 2 jobs, 6 days a week gathering/investing my acorns and was more than happy to turn over the job to some go-getter one second after I qualified for Social Security so he could contribute to my retirement benefits. For the past dozen years I've been quite content to stay home with my thumb up my a$$, collecting pension checks, annuities and Social Security benefits.

The Government printing presses are overheating......hope everyone goes back to work ASAP so I won't need a wheelbarrow full of Benjamins to buy a loaf of bread.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Spent 37 years of working up to 2 jobs, 6 days a week gathering/investing my acorns and was more than happy to turn over the job to some go-getter one second after I qualified for Social Security so he could contribute to my retirement benefits. For the past dozen years I've been quite content to stay home with my thumb up my a$$, collecting pension checks, annuities and Social Security benefits.

The Government printing presses are overheating......hope everyone goes back to work ASAP so I won't need a wheelbarrow full of Benjamins to buy a loaf of bread.

Dem dare Press overheated long time ago SON!  It's just make believe binary numbers on a computer screen now...don't kid yourself no way this ends in a happy fashion!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 1:38 PM, mookdoc6 said:

Dem dare Press overheated long time ago SON!  It's just make believe binary numbers on a computer screen now...don't kid yourself no way this ends in a happy fashion!

No kidding dude. What are we on, quantitative easing 5 or 6 now? 

• Like 1

It will be harder to get a job in the next couple of months or years. My sister and brother-in-law only works twice a week due to the pandemic. Half of the office staff has been terminated. My friends are now unemployed and they are struggling to find a part-time job so that they can work from home. 

3 hours ago, Claire Buenavides said:

It will be harder to get a job in the next couple of months or years. My sister and brother-in-law only works twice a week due to the pandemic. Half of the office staff has been terminated. My friends are now unemployed and they are struggling to find a part-time job so that they can work from home. 

I hear jobs as 'Tracers' are hot right now. 

?