In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Chevy express stereo replacement dilemma- where is the accessory wire?

I have been trying to wire up a new stereo for my 2005 express, and I have already cut the factory harness (oops). The problem I have is that I cannot find out where the accessory wire is, and consequently the new unit will not shut off with the car because it's only wired to the 12v constant. I gave tried to use a multimeter to find the accesory wire by having the key in the on position and seeing which wire reads 12v, but the only wire I get a reading for is the 12v constant wire. Anybody know which wire is the accessory wire? Or whether there even is one?

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Should be orange. Slighty thinner than the other two oranges that go to speakers. I have no idea why chevy felt the need to use orange so many times. Its confusing.  I had the same problem make sure you check your fuse for it.  That was my issue.

Edited by MattM85
Needed to add something

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kevin Ernst
      Hi All,

First post on the forum here so let me know if more info is needed.  Was recently putting a new set of headers on the truck and decided that at 200k+ miles, I should replace the starter.  My hope was to avoid having to pull the headers when it did eventually go out.  I purchased a reman of the OEM part (GM Genuine Parts 323-1637 Starter, Remanufactured).  Part went in no problem and I also replaced the heavy gauge wire to the battery as well as the smaller gauge wire to the ignition switch.  All was functional for the first week or two, when I turned it over and got nothing... No clicks, but the battery had power, dash lights looked good.  I hooked a power pack up and it started no problem.  Thought it was a fluke or I left a light on, but after having a no-crank condition maybe one out of 15 times that I start it, there is definitely something going on.  Here's the weird part... every time that it does not start, I eventually get it to start with no changed conditions.  I've tried starting it in neutral which worked the first time, didn't work the second.  Another time I screwed with the battery terminals and it started, one other time I just sat there for a minute or two after no-crank and it started.  Battery tested fine but havent taken a multi-tester down because it's been starting anytime I am home.  Any ideas?

• By JSW.817
      I have a 2018 Silverado 4x4 and I replaced the factory fog lights with ones from Diode Dynamics. The new fogs have an amber backlight that I need to tap somewhere to get power. Can anyone help me with a good location for tapping and what color wire to be looking for? I'm thinking of tapping into DRL so they are on at all times during the day. 
    • By Jordan Walter
      I was having electrical issues on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500, which is at 197,000 miles. The issues were things like pulsing lights (interior and exterior and low voltage fluctuation (14.0v to 11.8v) so I replaced the alternator with a premium 160amp remanufactured one from CarQuest. Now my voltage seems high, sitting at 14.9v-15.2v during idle. The pulsing went away, but now it pulses when I rev the engine. I will leave it at about 1500 RPMs and it will steadily pulse until I release the gas. Is this an issue with the alternator or something else?
    • By Anthony Alcocer
      I just got my truck less than a week ago 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 47k mi. 
      many given moment the truck will lose all electrical power, radio shut down, dash loses power, time resets, the works. If I auto start the it and it happens the fob is in-op, won’t lock unlock… 
      it is from Texas but has been in Alaska for five months, fully winterized, trickle charger, block heater, oil pan heater everything. It gets plugged in every night. 
      Has no reported recalls corresponding with the VIN. It does every so often have an action required to open and close the driver window. 
      I have seen some issues on the forum regarding ground G218 (might be wrong identifier) but the symptoms aren’t quite the same. 
      SEND HELP!
      thanks 
    • By Tony D
      Hi All, I'm looking at the new Regular cabs, and was wondering if anyone has added rear speakers to these trucks. My 2018 has the (real) premium sound: six speakers, front/back/r/l balance, and sound presets (Rock, Country, Jazz, Talk, etc). The newer trucks just have a mono 2 speaker stereo with little control (Bass, Treble, Midrange)...and no l/r balance. I commute back and fourth, and I'm worried this radio will drive me nuts after having a good sound system.