6.2 intake

I'm debating on buying an s&b intake for my 2017 6.2. Only performance mods are a full Corsa sport exhaust and Range AFM disabler and gets pretty decent fuel mileage and a lot smiles per gallon. Catch can will be in the future as well. 

I know in the past that a MIT tube and drop in filter did wonders for the nnbs but I've seen the Blackbear dyno sheet saying the MIT tube doesn't really do much for the k2 platforms. I know I'm not looking for 5 mpg gain, but just seeing if it's worth spending the 300 on the intake. I'll do a tune down the road, but til the warranty runs out I'm waiting. 

3FDD603A-B045-4B1A-808D-6E31CE1D0778.jpeg

I'm contemplating the same thing. I've got the 6.2 also.

Do intakes show gain in HP and TQ? Yes, they do. But why do they gain? These Gen V DI motors run very rich in open loop WOT, especially above 3500 rpms. When you add more airflow that actually leans it out causing the power bump. Makes me think if you just properly tune you'd get a very similar power bump.

Another point. All to often mods are discussed in terms of WOT gains. How often do you actually drive wide open? With my 6.2 any speed under 25 and over 50% throttle I'm burning rubber. Is a CAI going to improve part throttle low speed driveability? Idk. Will it improve HP and TQ? Yes. But is that primarily because it's big rich to begin with? Idk. Will it make some great sounds and give you a warm fuzzy feeling? 100%. 

Do it for the aesthetics and the soundtrack!

9 hours ago, lucas287 said:

Do intakes show gain in HP and TQ? Yes, they do. But why do they gain? These Gen V  With my 6.2 any speed under 25 and over 50% throttle I'm burning rubber. 

I think you need some new tires

8 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I think you need some new tires

Ha...yes I do. Crappy GY Eagle ls2... gotta be the worst tire ever. After I read that comment again it was a bit dramatic. 

My point is to illustrate that most of us probably don't hoon around like were Ken Block 24/7. I've cammed two different V8s, one a 5.7 Hemi and the other a 2v 4.6. Did I pick up some screaming top end? Hell yes! But i also lost some dynamic compression which hurt low speed torque and I think I missed that more. 

I'm much more focused now on doing mods that help with every day driving. Wife approved driving as I call it. For that, I'm positive the stock setup flows plenty. 

2 more cents of advice: stick with something dry flow. Oiled filters CAN cost a MAF which can impact fueling. It's a redundant system getting feedback from the O2 sensors so it should be "fine" but the airflow tables populate a lot of other things like driver demand and shift schedules. 

• 4 weeks later...

for what its worth. Ive had blackbear tunes for a few years. On my last tahoe I had the airraid setup and an aggressive tune. Sounded great. Performed very well.

I just got a 17 sierra denali about a month ago. Moved just fine. But I wanted a bit more. And planning on holding off on a tune until fall at least. Blackbear showed the AFE yielded the most gain. And didn't require a tune. Based on my experience with them I was sold. 

Install was simple. And yes. It feels different. It does seem to like the increased flow. From about 20% throttle on you feel it. It definitely sounds more aggressive. More than I expected. Its got a bit of a growl when in v4. But I dont see a way around it. But my vote is worth the price of admission. According to BB dyno test. Decent cost for return. Getting power from a gasser is never cheap.

As a project, a group of students asked me if they could do a test on 4 CAI. It was the AFE GT, Airraid MIT, K&N and some weird name cheap thing off Amazon. They tapped in a sensor a little before the TB to check flow and temps. There was definitely a flow increase compared to stock, with the MIT producing the least amount of increase. There was also only a 3% difference comparing the other 3 against each other. The K&N and other one did have some increased air temps detected. Now when the stock air filter was replaced with a higher flowing one, the MIT was even closer to the other three. Then they cut out the plate in the stock air box and the MIT was equal with the other three.

So my opinion is that CAI systems are a complete waste of money. The stock box is just as good as any of the aftermarket ones, with a tiny mod that a 10yr old can do. The restriction mainly comes from the tube and filter. Change those out, quick mod, and save money.

One last thing, the Amazon one was out of spec and didn't line up the best and took some forcing, so I would just stay away from those cheap never heard of ones.

All my opinion

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

On 6/20/2020 at 8:13 PM, CMC76 said:

for what its worth. Ive had blackbear tunes for a few years. On my last tahoe I had the airraid setup and an aggressive tune. Sounded great. Performed very well.

I just got a 17 sierra denali about a month ago. Moved just fine. But I wanted a bit more. And planning on holding off on a tune until fall at least. Blackbear showed the AFE yielded the most gain. And didn't require a tune. Based on my experience with them I was sold. 

Install was simple. And yes. It feels different. It does seem to like the increased flow. From about 20% throttle on you feel it. It definitely sounds more aggressive. More than I expected. Its got a bit of a growl when in v4. But I dont see a way around it. But my vote is worth the price of admission. According to BB dyno test. Decent cost for return. Getting power from a gasser is never cheap.

Heard some good reviews on the AFE CAI......might get one myself in the near future.

25whp for $400, nothig

On 5/22/2020 at 11:55 PM, lucas287 said:

I'm contemplating the same thing. I've got the 6.2 also.

Do intakes show gain in HP and TQ? Yes, they do. But why do they gain? These Gen V DI motors run very rich in open loop WOT, especially above 3500 rpms. When you add more airflow that actually leans it out causing the power bump. Makes me think if you just properly tune you'd get a very similar power bump.

That’s a big nope

you can look at dyno charts and tell the difference between increased air flow and bullshit lean conditions.

An increase in flow will show little gains down low and start to shine as rpm’s increase. Why....because airflow is low at low rpm and a shitty oem intake would not be restricted at low flow.

if you look at the blackbear dyno’s, it is clear as day that pretty much all of them relieve the intake path of a restriction. Where that restriction is I don’t know.

I went with the AFE GT based on BB's dyno test and talking to a couple other guys. If you are truly going after more HP/TQ, spend your money on a tune and new headers/exhaust first. If you want something that makes your 6.2 sound even better (I really love how it woke it up - not overbearing but a great balanced rumble), makes your engine bay look cool, and *might* give you some additional gains then go with the AFE GT. I also like that it opened up my engine bay more to get to other areas if I need. I added a catch can after I took this picture as well. Can also chat about that if you have questions.

image.thumb.png.0db2d810dd1b4b3eef2d271e40dd4c4c.png

I feel that the catch can is a whole can of worms itself. A lot of guys run one and seen that catch quite a bit while others have caught very lil or none at all. I have a buddy with a 2020 Silverado 6.2 ltz and said he hasn't caught anything with it. I'm sure my 2017 would be a different story. 

I haven't ordered a intake for mine 6.2 yet and I was going to do a dry filter since I live in Oklahoma and it's more of a drier/dusty area. As for a catch can, I haven't added one but I'm debating on getting a amazon one with upgraded fuel lines. 

56 minutes ago, Chewy21 said:

I feel that the catch can is a whole can of worms itself. A lot of guys run one and seen that catch quite a bit while others have caught very lil or none at all. I have a buddy with a 2020 Silverado 6.2 ltz and said he hasn't caught anything with it. I'm sure my 2017 would be a different story. 

I haven't ordered a intake for mine 6.2 yet and I was going to do a dry filter since I live in Oklahoma and it's more of a drier/dusty area. As for a catch can, I haven't added one but I'm debating on getting a amazon one with upgraded fuel lines. 

Yeah a catch can really is an entirely different conversation. I put mine in after the top end of my engine had to be rebuilt (coolant leaking internally through both heads - GM covered the bill). Figured with everything cleaned up and new, it was the perfect time to install one. Here's a pic of how much my catch can has caught in roughly 25k miles. Don't mean to derail the thread, just thought I'd make a quick comment about it since you mentioned debating installing one along with the cai. And take all this for what you will, I know catch cans are hotly debated. I just figured why not try it, could be a waste of money but certainly won't hurt anything.

image.thumb.png.5202bd20a95ef0cd12e37a7fe4b11e45.png

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

7 minutes ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Yeah a catch can really is an entirely different conversation. I put mine in after the top end of my engine had to be rebuilt (coolant leaking internally through both heads - GM covered the bill). Figured with everything cleaned up and new, it was the perfect time to install one. Here's a pic of how much my catch can has caught in roughly 25k miles. Don't mean to derail the thread, just thought I'd make a quick comment about it since you mentioned debating installing one along with the cai. And take all this for what you will, I know catch cans are hotly debated. I just figured why not try it, could be a waste of money but certainly won't hurt anything.

image.thumb.png.5202bd20a95ef0cd12e37a7fe4b11e45.png

For sure. I mean a lot of guys run the amazon one and works just as well as a elite supposedly. I may actually order one today. I did however see a few guys say that it voided the warranty by doing that. If I wasn't moving from my dealership I wouldn't be worried about it. I guess I could just take it off before it goes in.