Hack for having rear camera on?

Thanks Slide.

I think I would go with just the wire jumper without a diode. 

Does anyone know what the minimum wire gauge is for a jumper on the BCM?  I'm not sure what gauge wire they put on diodes, but I'd want to be sure I'm not under-sizing the wire I use just to get it in the slot. 

On that note, how big of a wire can fit in the slot?

• Like 1

I just used a piece of burner wire. Which I think is like #18 or #20ga? It’s also solid and a little more rigid and bendable/moldable than a stranded wire. (Like speaker wire) and it’s actually pretty close to the thickness of the leads on the diodes I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I have a partial solution but its not a perfect fix for myself. Did some work on my truck and found out that fuse 16 under the hood receives power when the rear lights are meant to turn on. If the fuse is supplied with power it will turn the rear lights on, and as a by product, the rear camera (without the guidance lines though). This is an easy way to gain manual control of the rear lights if that's what you want. I'd still like to find a way to turn the camera on without the rear lights and would prefer to do it for a lot less than getting the HMI flashed. The cargo light solution wont work for me as my truck wont let me turn it on while I'm driving. I'll keep ya'll posted if I find a solution and keep an eye out incase someone else does. 

You don't have to "flash" anything, just get a tool to unlock your HMI and BCM, as well as a harness from @pgamboa , and you'll be good.
Look up Autosync and the options available.
No need to hack your harness.

13 minutes ago, cprime said:

Have an idea where I can get this tool to unlock them?

19 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Look up Autosync and the options available.
No need to hack your harness.

That costs even more than sending them the HMI. Not the solution I'm looking for. I'd rather not spend $200 to get the HMI unlocked let alone $350 to buy the tool. I'm trying to find a hack like the original post says not drop a bunch of money. Its a nice product for sure but at this point, none of the other things it does justifies paying that much for it to me.