Hack for having rear camera on?

You bet. Visit coastalflash.com and look at the rear camera in motion kit. It will allow you to view the camera for 25 seconds but you'll need a harness and some programming (part of the kit). 

It’s way easier/ cheaper than that if you’re not looking to spend that kind of money on it.

If you go thru this thread, you’ll see where to connect a wire that will make your cargo light come on with your reverse lights. It shows where to put a diode connector to make that happen. But if you just use a wire instead of a diode in the same spot, whenever you press the cargo light button, the rear camera will turn on.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=33003&share_tid=229656&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2F&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, calltrex said:

Is there any hack for turning g rear camera on while driving?

So i can hitch check while towing

I purchased a dash mount wireless camera monitor and three cameras from Amazon for towing my TT.   It is a 7" monitor that allows me to toggle between the back of my trailer, the back of my truck, and the front bumper.  You can display up to four cameras separately or all together.  When I'm towing, I leave the trailer camera on and the monitor functions as a rear view mirror.  (You'd be surprised how many people hide in a trailer's blind spot!)  I sold the trailer and now just use the system's recording and viewing feature through my front camera. It is not discrete or OEM  in appearance but, at the time, the price was good and it does the job!

• Like 1

Link from slide187 doesn't work (not directly to thread).

6157d6b8db0d3683faa160f4131e2ac0.jpg

Use a wire instead of diode for cargo lamp/reverse with rear camera linked to cargo lamp switch.

There are a few reports that 2016+ trucks can’t turn on cargo light while in drive
  • Like 1

Correct. Cargo lights won’t turn on but the camera does come on whilst driving. (In my 2018, but only when using a wire instead of a diode.)

• Like 2

Link from slide187 doesn't work (not directly to thread).

Sorry about that!! But you posted the pic which is really what I was also looking to post. Thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, my truck is a 2015 LT CCSB Texas Edition 2wd LT 5.3.

Cargo lights when in reverse, but the camera doesn't function with the cargo light switch.  Otherwise works as normal.  I double checked the pins in the picture, and I spliced the correct wires.

I also tried after putting in drive and above 30mph, just in case, same deal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

20200609_124934.jpg

Edited by M H

On 5/30/2020 at 12:17 PM, slide187 said:

Correct. Cargo lights won’t turn on but the camera does come on whilst driving. (In my 2018, but only when using a wire instead of a diode.)

Well thats nifty. I didn't think that would work since the lights won't. But I might have to do that to my 18

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I did more looking at this and yeah it looks like the camera will only turn on with that button in park, and in neutral for me. Still handy for checking your trailer, tho not as nifty as I had originally assessed. Sorry for the late update I’ve been working away from home and didn’t have my truck with me.

1 hour ago, slide187 said:

So I did more looking at this and yeah it looks like the camera will only turn on with that button in park, and in neutral for me. Still handy for checking your trailer, tho not as nifty as I had originally assessed. Sorry for the late update I’ve been working away from home and didn’t have my truck with me.

Same situation on my 2018. Does not work in D or L. My cargo light and tow mirror side lights (throw light down side of truck) come in as well in R with the above mod. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...