Bike carrier/pad with multipro tailgate

I have a '19 Sierra SLT with the multipro tailgate and i'm looking for the best option for a bike pad/carrier/protector for the tailgate. Looks like GM partners with Thule for their Gatemate Pro here. Does anyone have experience using this with the Multipro? Some reviews I've read say that it does a poor job fitting mountain bikes due to lack of adjustment on downtube straps for the bikes. What other options have people found to carry your bikes over the tailgate for the newer generation Sierras? I'm currently using blankets and cardboard, but want a better longterm solution. I also have a hitch-mount carrier for longer trips when the bed is full, but would like to find the best option for easy transport to our local trails. Thanks for your input!

I have a '19 Sierra SLT with the multipro tailgate and i'm looking for the best option for a bike pad/carrier/protector for the tailgate. Looks like GM partners with Thule for their Gatemate Pro here. Does anyone have experience using this with the Multipro? Some reviews I've read say that it does a poor job fitting mountain bikes due to lack of adjustment on downtube straps for the bikes. What other options have people found to carry your bikes over the tailgate for the newer generation Sierras? I'm currently using blankets and cardboard, but want a better longterm solution. I also have a hitch-mount carrier for longer trips when the bed is full, but would like to find the best option for easy transport to our local trails. Thanks for your input!
I don't have a current set up but I have looked into this and decided I won't buy anything for over the tailgate... I will probably end up building something like this attachment out of PVC or wood for all my mountain bikes ... Something I can put on and take off with minimal effort. 18e72780d6fb7f490bbf64a6c2c42fd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyh1 said:

I don't have a current set up but I have looked into this and decided I won't buy anything for over the tailgate... I will probably end up building something like this attachment out of PVC or wood for all my mountain bikes ... Something I can put on and take off with minimal effort.

I like this idea, thanks for adding your input Andyh1, but I have the Crew Cab with a short bed, and the wheelbase on a couple of my bikes is too long to fit end to end, hence the need for the tailgate cover. 
(Another option for transporting bikes that I've used on past trucks is to bolt on fork dropout clamps onto a piece of plywood that fits the width of the truck bed. Removing the front wheel and securing with the fork dropouts works well, and is secure, but I have 5 bikes for the family and don't want to remove all those wheels!

I like this idea, thanks for adding your input Andyh1, but I have the Crew Cab with a short bed, and the wheelbase on a couple of my bikes is too long to fit end to end, hence the need for the tailgate cover. 
(Another option for transporting bikes that I've used on past trucks is to bolt on fork dropout clamps onto a piece of plywood that fits the width of the truck bed. Removing the front wheel and securing with the fork dropouts works well, and is secure, but I have 5 bikes for the family and don't want to remove all those wheels!
Hmmm. I also have a crewcab short bed, I will measure my Scott MTB tomorrow and see how this might fit or not.
I was planning on building this set up sometime this summer but now I may bump it up.. Lol
I'll check back with you and report...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

North Shore bike rack. I only have 4 in my family but they do make a 6 bike version. I like that it keeps the bed free for cargo like camping supplies, suitcases etc. and that it keeps the bikes close to the truck. It's super easy to get the bikes off and on, keeps the bikes tight and secure and they don't bang into each other causing damage.

20200601_224837.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey @ST3, I'm running the Thule.

Kiss your multipro functionality buh-bye, but worth the sacrifice for ease of use.  The Thule works just fine, I almost never use the straps unless it is a  BMX bike back there.

Have a NSR-4 rack too, but loved doing a road trip with no extra rack on the truck...had 6 bikes, all the luggage and a 90qt cooler in the Standard bed.

PXL_20201107_161425560.jpg

On 11/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Justin Vaughn said:

Hey @ST3, I'm running the Thule.

Kiss your multipro functionality buh-bye, but worth the sacrifice for ease of use.  The Thule works just fine, I almost never use the straps unless it is a  BMX bike back there.

Have a NSR-4 rack too, but loved doing a road trip with no extra rack on the truck...had 6 bikes, all the luggage and a 90qt cooler in the Standard bed.

PXL_20201107_161425560.jpg

@Justin Vaughn I was really hoping to get a RaceFace T2 pad because they seem to have way more padding than other brands but I can't confirm that it will fit properly with the backup camera - since the camera and latch on the new Silverados/Sierras are located at the very top of the tailgate. But it looks like the Thule works fine with the backup camera so I think I'm going to go the same route as you - as I plan on leaving the pad on almost all of the time. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

I just got the Dakine PIckup Pad DLX - Large for my 2020 Sierra AT4. Not sure I totally love it. Just put it on. I have to figure out how to keep open the flap so my backup camera works.

Dakine Pickup Pad DLX - this is what I have.

Does anyone else have this? Perhaps I need to pull it down more into the bed so the flap is a bit higher?

I will post a picture of how I have it, shortly.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Peter Filias said:

I just got the Dakine PIckup Pad DLX - Large for my 2020 Sierra AT4. Not sure I totally love it. Just put it on. I have to figure out how to keep open the flap so my backup camera works.

Dakine Pickup Pad DLX - this is what I have.

Does anyone else have this? Perhaps I need to pull it down more into the bed so the flap is a bit higher?

I will post a picture of how I have it, shortly.

I was looking at this one too.  Not sure I need the backup cam to work when I'm going to and from the trail, but want it to function protect my truck and the bike.