2010 Silverado LT low oil pressure

What is normal oil pressure? At idle I sit at 20psi or even a little less, and while driving I'm at about 30psi. Oil was last changed about 2,700 miles ago w/ Pennzoil 5W-30 Full synthetic and Mobile 1 oil filter. Is this normal? What could be the problem? Next oil change I am going to use the K&N HP-1017 as I have read pretty good reviews on the filter.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, Jrue03 said:

What is normal oil pressure? At idle I sit at 20psi or even a little less, and while driving I'm at about 30psi. Oil was last changed about 2,700 miles ago w/ Pennzoil 5W-30 Full synthetic and Mobile 1 oil filter. Is this normal? What could be the problem? Next oil change I am going to use the K&N HP-1017 as I have read pretty good reviews on the filter.

That's a bit low, especially if you have an iron block motor.  The Mobil One EP filter drops the pressure at least 3 psi compared with the K&N, which is why I quit using them and run the long K&N on my LC9 motor.

If you add two additional quarts to the motor while idling and the oil pressure comes up, it's time for the pick up tube o-ring to be replaced.  They usually go out at around 165K or so.

Okay, thank you. I have just under 81k on it and have had the oil pressure sensor and filter replaced. Truck did a lot of sitting at home while I was working from home during COVID so I'm not sure if that had an impact or not on anything. Hopefully I see better results with the K&N filter.

13 hours ago, Jrue03 said:

Okay, thank you. I have just under 81k on it and have had the oil pressure sensor and filter replaced. Truck did a lot of sitting at home while I was working from home during COVID so I'm not sure if that had an impact or not on anything. Hopefully I see better results with the K&N filter.

You'll see higher oil pressure for sure, it flows a lot more oil and filters even better too, higher quality all around.  I run the long one, HP-2011 and love the nut for removal.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, Jrue03 said:

What is the difference between the 2011 and 1017 filter?

It's longer, the equivalent of the PF-63.  Longer filter has more media and makes removal easier for me, especially with the nut.

• 5 months later...

They will all say that because technically it's not for a Silverado. It's just a the longer version of the stock filter. It's got the same tread pitch and spins right on.

If we went with WIX numbers as well, the 7060 is the short and the 7045 is the long but only the 7060 is what would come up in the computers systems as the right filter. The 7045 fits the 3.6 engine in the Traverse/Acadia's etc etc but still works on the V8's.