F250, Chevy 2500 HD or Ram 2500

We have decided to join the RV world, and I need upgrade my 2017 F150, with towing capacity of 9000 lbs, trying to decide. I am really a Ford man , but after looking at the Chevy maybe be switching  every dodge I ever owned has had major issues, especially with the transmission and it happen at low miles 50K.    After test driving F250 XL with SRX package, I did like they way it road, the step up ladder for the bed, and fuel economy although I drove it short ways 22 mpg was register dash driving  on interstate, which surprise me that diesel engine if that's true mileage.  F250 Warranty 100,000 / 10 year power train at this dealership, I like the 10 year warranty. 

Dislikes: I did not like cab was plane had some features, no change from my current 2017 F150 no fancy camera  systems to see trailers. Leg room was okay like truck I have now, but Chevy does have F250 beat on the cab.  

Review Chevy 2500 LTZ

Chevy 2500 HD LTZ awesome cab, with lots of leg room I am 6'7 inches although I can drive both trucks defiantly had more leg room in the Chevy, plus the cameras system for towing trailers. The Chevy was 2 wheel drive Ford 4 wheel drive, but I really never had need4 wheel drive. I live in GA  Chevy package step up from Ford XL package.

Dislike Chevy seem to ride a little rougher than the ford, fuel economy 16 mpg in 15 mile test ride. Is there really that big a difference between the two trucks. Towing and payload Chevy towing 14,500 3,200 lbs pay load. Ford 18,500 with 3,400 pay load.  Both have 6.5 beds.  Question the 5th wheel we are buying Grand Design weight 10,500 dry, with tongue weight 1,300 lbs.  What is the difference Chevy pull goose neck total towing capacity goes to 18,500 compare to max towing 14,500 lbs. Warranty power train 5 year/100K, compare F250 100k 10 year warranty,

As for dodge unless someone can convince me they have changed I will not consider one. Owned 3 different ones in 20 years in fact own 2014 Jeep Cherokee now, and it does have slight tranny problems, but car does have 100k. 

Overall I am leaning toward Chevy 2500 due to the cabin and the features, just was not impressed with the ride or fuel mileage, for those who have owned both which truck is better for towing RV's.  Plus years down the road we may upgrade RV, but I don't think we will ever exceed 18,500 lbs in towing. The Ford hanging in there with better fuel mileage and warranty package. . Price point Chevy was $4k cheaper than the Ford, with more features but its 2 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive .Lastly,  Is it even worth going to look at the RAM trucks.

Open to all thoughts and suggestion any help is greatly appreciated. 

Are you talking Gas or Diesel?

No way the F250 rides smoother or has better mileage, I had a 2018 F250 Diesel, now a 2020 GMC Denali HD Duramax

GM beats my ford hands down in Ride comfort and Mileage.

Best i ever got empty in my ford was 16 mpg empty 11 or so towing anything with 50k miles

I can get 14 to 16 towing with the Duramax, only 13k on the odometer, and last week empty averaged 20mpg have been in the 21 22 range light driving

Can't imagine Chevy and GMC would differ that much, especially in ride.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You are kinda apples to oranges on the XL vs the LTZ.  XL is like a Chevy Custom or WT trim.  LTZ is like Lariat or King Ranch.

The Ford must have some sort of extended warranty or something as well.  Both Ford and GM are 5yr/100k powertrain on the HD diesel engines.  

I haven't driven a Ford newer than 2016 but the 3 GM HD's I've owned and the bunch of 2020's I've driven at work were better handling and less stiff than the Fords.  

Edited by newdude

That 10-year warranty on the Ford is a dealer/third-party program, something you want to avoid if you're RVing around the country since there's no guarantee it will be honored while you're on the road.  Ford's longest factory service plan is 8 years/150,000 miles (which is very good if you drive a lot, almost 20K per year).  As others noted, you drove a base F-250 - the STX is equivalent to the Chevy Custom, work-truck class with a few upgrades.  To be fair, find a Lariat F-250 to test and see if the interior suits you better.  I'd encourage you to test a Ram 2500 Laramie for one particular reason - Rams have the tightest turning radius, which may be a plus when maneuvering your trailer.  On the minus side, Rams also have the least legroom and the smallest bed (6'4", Ford and Chevy/GMC are 6'10" for the standard bed).  All three diesels will do the job, but with notably taller axle ratios available, Ford and Chevy/GMC have the potential for better mileage.  The Cummins in the Ram 2500 is also the least powerful at 370/850 with a 6-speed... Ford (475/1050) and Chevy/GMC (445/910) both have 10-speeds now.

8 hours ago, Henry Knipschild said:

We have decided to join the RV world, and I need upgrade my 2017 F150, with towing capacity of 9000 lbs, trying to decide. I am really a Ford man , but after looking at the Chevy maybe be switching  every dodge I ever owned has had major issues, especially with the transmission and it happen at low miles 50K.    After test driving F250 XL with SRX package, I did like they way it road, the step up ladder for the bed, and fuel economy although I drove it short ways 22 mpg was register dash driving  on interstate, which surprise me that diesel engine if that's true mileage.  F250 Warranty 100,000 / 10 year power train at this dealership, I like the 10 year warranty. 

Dislikes: I did not like cab was plane had some features, no change from my current 2017 F150 no fancy camera  systems to see trailers. Leg room was okay like truck I have now, but Chevy does have F250 beat on the cab.  

Review Chevy 2500 LTZ

Chevy 2500 HD LTZ awesome cab, with lots of leg room I am 6'7 inches although I can drive both trucks defiantly had more leg room in the Chevy, plus the cameras system for towing trailers. The Chevy was 2 wheel drive Ford 4 wheel drive, but I really never had need4 wheel drive. I live in GA  Chevy package step up from Ford XL package.

Dislike Chevy seem to ride a little rougher than the ford, fuel economy 16 mpg in 15 mile test ride. Is there really that big a difference between the two trucks. Towing and payload Chevy towing 14,500 3,200 lbs pay load. Ford 18,500 with 3,400 pay load.  Both have 6.5 beds.  Question the 5th wheel we are buying Grand Design weight 10,500 dry, with tongue weight 1,300 lbs.  What is the difference Chevy pull goose neck total towing capacity goes to 18,500 compare to max towing 14,500 lbs. Warranty power train 5 year/100K, compare F250 100k 10 year warranty,

As for dodge unless someone can convince me they have changed I will not consider one. Owned 3 different ones in 20 years in fact own 2014 Jeep Cherokee now, and it does have slight tranny problems, but car does have 100k. 

Overall I am leaning toward Chevy 2500 due to the cabin and the features, just was not impressed with the ride or fuel mileage, for those who have owned both which truck is better for towing RV's.  Plus years down the road we may upgrade RV, but I don't think we will ever exceed 18,500 lbs in towing. The Ford hanging in there with better fuel mileage and warranty package. . Price point Chevy was $4k cheaper than the Ford, with more features but its 2 wheel drive instead of 4 wheel drive .Lastly,  Is it even worth going to look at the RAM trucks.

Open to all thoughts and suggestion any help is greatly appreciated. 

chevy bed is 82", 2 shy of 7 feet.....payload will be trim, mine is 3600

I will tell you the mpg on DIC is full of ******......you would have to fill up and calculate miles driven.....had a 2019 RST 1500 and now a 2020 2500 and mpg on DIC is a joke, idk about other brands......I Love my truck don't get me wrong but that gauge isn't accurate ( at least not in the 2 new trucks ive had in last year)….

yeah I just don't like Fords for whatever reason and am sure they make good trucks, I almost bought the dodge but looks of exterior and all issues ive heard I just didn't want to chance it.....this chevy is best truck ive owned so far and gets better and better the more miles....my motor freed up and suspension has settled in now since new.....don't really have anything negative to say cept for LED lights should be standard on any truck...the seats are bit firm.....but it has enormous legroom in both cabs.....huge bed and steps to get in even in front.....easy to drive and does not feel like your driving a 2500, the only give away is the steering ( bit more vague than 1500) and super chattered out road makes ride bit rough.....I am actually surprised coming from a 1500 how good it drives for how big a truck these things are....feels fairly nimble as well

mine rides totally different than it did when it was brand new.....independent front suspension on chevy

Edited by Dunn

Thanks for the feedback,  dealer never mention fuel mpg from what I seen on you tube videos both trucks are 19 mpg highway speed. What do you tow with your 2500? I plan on towing and RV with weight 11,00 lbs.  You tube video state Chevy better at low speed when taking off, but Ford out does it at the top end.  Its been awhile since I owned a  Chevy, but I do like all the features for $$$$. Compare to the Fords.   Then comparing 2500 to the Dodge they where about equal on towing.  

Edited by Henry Knipschild

4 hours ago, Henry Knipschild said:

Thanks for the feedback,  dealer never mention fuel mpg from what I seen on you tube videos both trucks are 19 mpg highway speed. What do you tow with your 2500? I plan on towing and RV with weight 11,00 lbs.  You tube video state Chevy better at low speed when taking off, but Ford out does it at the top end.  Its been awhile since I owned a  Chevy, but I do like all the features for $$$$. Compare to the Fords.   Then comparing 2500 to the Dodge they where about equal on towing.  

Ram gas with the 4.10 axle 3k lbs better then Chevy.  
come on gm offer axle choices!!! 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, Henry Knipschild said:

Plus years down the road we may upgrade RV, but I don't think we will ever exceed 18,500 lbs in towing.

If you are looking at 5th wheels--or might ever get a fifth wheel--you should be shopping 3500s, not 2500s.  The limiting factor on fifthwheel towing is almost always payload capacity, not tow capacity (or how much it will pull up a hill).  Once you toss gear and firewood in the bed plus the hitch plus 20 to 25% of the gross weight of the fiver into the bed, you run out of payload capacity long before you hit that towing number.  

The price is the same for the 3500s and 2500s and I doubt you could distinguish the unloaded ride quality in a blind test versus a 2500, at least in the GM models.  On the GM models, you also get a bigger ring gear and full torque in first gear in a 3500; 2500 gives you smaller ring gear and a torque limiter in first gear.  

I would visit some RV sites like irv2.com in the towing sections and you will see all the guys that buy 2500s and come in trying to figure out why the numbers are not working out regarding payload, and how they are trying to apply bandaids to their trucks because of the sagging beds and to justify why its ok to tow overloaded.  (Yes, it is the same engine, but the engine is only one factor in what you can and should tow behind any particular truck).  

Do yourself a favor and look closely at the stickers in the door jamb that show the payload capacity and axle and tire capacity for that particular truck before you buy any truck and start running numbers about what you can put in the bed before you buy it.

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, Henry Knipschild said:

Question the 5th wheel we are buying Grand Design weight 10,500 dry, with tongue weight 1,300 lbs. 

Dry weight is a meaningless and misleading number; look at this number plus the total carrying capacity of the fiver and figure at least 20% of this number in the bed, plus a hundred or more pounds for the hitch, plus anything else you want to put in the truck like tool box, firewood, people, coolers, etc.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1

Was the Chevy a diesel? I find it hard to believe an LTZ Silverado was $4,000 cheaper than an XL Ford. You can't find an LTZ diesel for less than $58-$59,000 around here. Usually XL Fords are high $40Ks to low $50Ks.

1 hour ago, jlong1984 said:

Was the Chevy a diesel? I find it hard to believe an LTZ Silverado was $4,000 cheaper than an XL Ford. You can't find an LTZ diesel for less than $58-$59,000 around here. Usually XL Fords are high $40Ks to low $50Ks.

Im in south TX and XLs are $55k and above. I hate that Ford made the XL price what XLT used to be. And manual seat adjustment just makes me look anywhere else. I was a Ford guy before my first Chevy LT HD Diesel which i got a month ago approx. and this new pricing and the fact that my old 2017 F250 experienced death wobble put me in for a Ram or Chevy. These new Chevy HD models with the 10 gear trans won my money. However, a Ram HD Megacab i think is the best look out there. My LT model was 54k, any Ford HD XL was $55K+ and Ram Big Horn and Lonestar Models were over $56k easily. All 2020 models with comparable features.I wouldnt consider the tradesman due to the manual seat adjustment and small screen but their price was the best at $52k and below. Some weird colors at $49k. ?

My 2500 lt ccsb has a payload of 3550 lb and I tow a 5th wheel that weighs 12k loaded, it lands within capacity of truck pretty nicely. Clearly with that payload it is gas. I got 9.2 mpg on trip from Cincinnati to Key West in late February. Typically get 16 to 17 unladen on hwy. Depending on terrain. My high according to dic for 25 mi was 22.1 from big pine key to key west. Flat as a pancake and vagaries of d.i.c. aside. I will agree with anyone that a diesel will pull it with less effort and get better mileage. For me not enough better for up front cost, fuel expense, maintenance expense, and potential def issues in future.

if I was gonna get a 5th wheel I would just get a 3500.....like said above cost is same and ride is about same...

another member Firstascent  went through this decision and made a thread on it awhile back......better to have more than enough than barely enough.....that would be my thinking anyway

heck I almost bought a 3500 just for payload rating since ride and cost is about the same ( sure ride is a touch stiffer) just couldn't find one in gas near me.....2500 ride pretty damn nice for HD truck!