In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Looking to purchase a handgun and to start training/practicing with it.  Looking for suggestions on what to consider.

I learned to shoot on S&W Model 19 revolvers back in my teens and it was a fine gun.  I'd like to eventually get me a revolver, possibly a S&W 686 or 360 special, and I would like to go with a semi auto as well.  Most of my friends in law enforcement are fans of Glocks but I've never shot one before.  Looking for your thoughts? 

Go to a range where you could rent different pistols to give yourself a feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks.  There are a few around here so I might do just that. 

I have a Springfield XDS that I bought as my wife and mine first pistol back in 2010 I think. I like it, easy to use and clean, has never given me an issues. 

I have shot glocks/berettas/h&ks and they each have something I like. I think if I bought one of those as our first hand gun I would biased to them as well. 

You can not really go wrong with a glock/Springfield/h&k/ruger/s&w as a first hand gun. I’m biased to Springfield and if I get another one, it will be another Springfield most likely. 

Posted (edited)

The advice I give to new people is to shoot anything and everything you can get your hands on.  Everyone is going to have their own preference.  Grip angle, trigger pull, and recoil can vary from pistol to pistol even of the same caliber.  Personally I'm a huge fan of Rugers.  Cheap, dependable, go bang every time, and if for some reason I need their customer support it's top notch.  My buddy loves his S&W M&Ps.  I've got a few of those but I hate the trigger on the 2 newest ones I've bought.

Also panic buying is making prices suck right now and on top of that it's an election year so that's a double whammy.

Edited by Chevyguy85

I actually like the new shield 45 trigger. Better than the older shield 9 triggers. Both good guns. Sig sauer makes some nice guns too. But back to what we were saying. Try them out. Hit the range and shoot shoot shoot. That’s you’re best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, gents.  I appreciate the advice.  Keep it coming!  I'm also going to be getting me a pre-1960s Winchester 1892 30-30 rifle.  My Grandpa had one and it was handed down to my dad, and I let my little brother have it when my dad died.  I really liked the way it felt.  lever action, trigger pull was smooth, just a nice well built classic rifle.  I think I have the makings of a great gun collecting hobby.  And given the current situation in society I plan on stocking up on ammo and guns. 

• Like 1

I learned to shoot back in my teens from a very experienced firearm master at the Sheriff's Department where I was an Explorer Scout at and worked in the fleet at.  He preferred an old revolver vs semi-auto, but was a great great teacher.  He tought me and my fellow explorers how to shoot on those S&W 357 revolvers.  A number of us (not me) went on to place in the top 10 in shooting competitions and we credited it to his great teaching.  I hope to someday be a good teacher like he was and pass his experience and patience onto the youth/scouts.  Scouting, be it Explorer Scouts (career exploration) or Cub and Boy Scouts is still the best way of helping turn boys .. and now girls!  Into men.  Wait.. that's not what I meant. 

I have a Springfield XDS that I bought as my wife and mine first pistol back in 2010 I think. I like it, easy to use and clean, has never given me an issues. 

I have shot glocks/berettas/h&ks and they each have something I like. I think if I bought one of those as our first hand gun I would biased to them as well. 

You can not really go wrong with a glock/Springfield/h&k/ruger/s&w as a first hand gun. I’m biased to Springfield and if I get another one, it will be another Springfield most likely. 

Same here I have an XDS 45 and like it. Been thinking a out getting the new hellcat (not dodge) 9mm.

Ryan B.

Thank you, gents.  I appreciate the advice.  Keep it coming!  I'm also going to be getting me a pre-1960s Winchester 1892 30-30 rifle.  My Grandpa had one and it was handed down to my dad, and I let my little brother have it when my dad died.  I really liked the way it felt.  lever action, trigger pull was smooth, just a nice well built classic rifle.  I think I have the makings of a great gun collecting hobby.  And given the current situation in society I plan on stocking up on ammo and guns. 

Start buying ammo now. It’s been hard to come by. I had three orders of .223 cancelled before finally getting some a few months ago.

Ryan B.

Posted (edited)

Wheelies are fun I love them.  I keep having to stop myself from getting yet another one.  I need to clean my garage and my reloading table and start making some ammo again.  Need to cast some projectiles too.  Bought a big melter a few years ago and have only used it once.  The trigger on my shield 9mm doesn't bother me.  The triggers on both of my M&P 2.0 Compact 4" 9mm do bother me.  I like the trigger on my SR9c and SR40.

Edited by Chevyguy85

Dang 163?  I've only got 5 9mms gotta collect them all.  Well l I guess technically 38spl and 357mag projectiles are 9mm so that makes 10 9mms? lol

IMO

While a trigger can make or break a guns performance, it's not as much of an issue unless you're target shooting and trying to be as accurate as possible. You can upgrade your shields triggers. Check this out.

https://www.apextactical.com/action-enhancement-trigger-for-m-p-shield-1

:)

Posted (edited)

Yeah I know all about Apex Triggers.  Shield is fine it's the m&p compact 4" 2.0s that are supposed to have better triggers that I don't like.  Also paying half the cost of the gun to fix the trigger stops me lol

Edited by Chevyguy85