Exhaust Questions

Looking to put exhaust on my 2019 LD 5.3L.  Have some questions.  Top priority is to not void any warranties.

Are there any exhaust setups that don't sound like crap with cylinder deactivation?  I'm not interested in plugging in a tuner at this point.

What should I make sure the shop does with the install?  For example I've read comments here and there about flappers and resonators and etc. and don't know what any of that means.  Also, what does removing these things do?

Other than looks, is there any reason people dump the tips out the side/corners rather than going straight out the back?  I've always took mine straight out the back and like that look better.

If I'm mostly going for sound, do I just start at the muffler and go back?  A lot of the kits I see include a pipe in front of the muffler and I'm not sure what that's for.

For the muffler, 3" in and 2.5" dual out good?

Looking to put exhaust on my 2019 LD 5.3L.  Have some questions.  Top priority is to not void any warranties.

Are there any exhaust setups that don't sound like crap with cylinder deactivation?  I'm not interested in plugging in a tuner at this point.

What should I make sure the shop does with the install?  For example I've read comments here and there about flappers and resonators and etc. and don't know what any of that means.  Also, what does removing these things do?

Other than looks, is there any reason people dump the tips out the side/corners rather than going straight out the back?  I've always took mine straight out the back and like that look better.

If I'm mostly going for sound, do I just start at the muffler and go back?  A lot of the kits I see include a pipe in front of the muffler and I'm not sure what that's for.

For the muffler, 3" in and 2.5" dual out good?
GM's preferred exhaust is either Corsa or Borla. I personally installed the Borla ATAK cat back exhaust system. It does have a slight "helicopter" sound when AFM kicks in, but nothing crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They all sound like crap when the cylinder deactivation kicks in.  First priority, if you can't stand a stock truck, get a tune to make all cylinders work for a living.  Second priority, study up on the flappers/resonators/screens you're going to delete and get what system sounds best to you, as everyone's taste is different.  There are a thousand Youtube videos out there on all of the different mufflers, catbacks, and headers available.  And keep in mind that everything sounds different in person than it does on a computer.  Third, your warranty is voided at most dealers the second you do any of this, unless you or your best friend own a GM dealership. 

[Any minute now, someone will yell that is against Federal law.  But the modern facts of life are that when you alter your factory powertrain or anything attached to it, GM dealers are encouraged to flag it in their computer system and can use it to deny warranty claims.  Because let's face it--they don't want to ever have to fix your vehicle on their dime, anyway.  Once in the computer, the nasty flag can be seen anywhere in their network, and once it's in the computer, you'll play hell ever getting the nasty flag removed, even if you restore the truck to stock.]

Edited by MaverickZ71

Put whatever exhaust you want on it then just get a Range AFM disabler to get rid of the helicopter sound. This will not void your warranty. Repeat, will NOT void your warranty. I did this until I got a tuner and never had an issue at the dealer. A tuner on the other hand , goes into the ECM and makes changes they will more than likely be able to see and deny your power train warranty.

Don't sweat it , it's just an exhaust system not a supercharger. 

• Like 2