Fog light Question

I have a 2016 Sierra 2500hd with the factory fog lights. I have ordered the bracket to install the rigid pod lights in their place. My question is can I use the factory wiring from the headlight switch, or do I need to use a relay in conjunction with the factory switch.  I have no issue using a relay I was just more curious if it would even be needed ....  

Are your factory lights spoken for?

I have a 2107 Sierra Base with plastic fillers where there should be fog lights.

Looking to put something brighter than nothing in those holes.

Sent from the demons in my head

I have a 2016 Sierra 2500hd with the factory fog lights. I have ordered the bracket to install the rigid pod lights in their place. My question is can I use the factory wiring from the headlight switch, or do I need to use a relay in conjunction with the factory switch.  I have no issue using a relay I was just more curious if it would even be needed ....  

I'd think they'd be plug and play to the switch, being the Rigid brand they better be and no relay should be needed imo. My Morimoto fogs were plug and play.

47 minutes ago, MikeLee661 said:

Cause then you'd need or want an in-line fuse hence relay?

Fuses and relays are different. 

If the stock fog light were meant to pull up to 20A and the new lights are rated at 30A then you will need to rewire / wire independently so the wires do not burn up and burn down your truck. 

If they are rated the same or less then you can just wire it in using the stock wires and switch. 

** OP if you can give us the PN for the lights you want to put on it will help us make sure**

Edited by BlancoSilverado
** added more info**
  • Like 1

Fuses and relays are different. 
If the stock fog light were meant to pull up to 20A and the new lights are rated at 30A then you will need to rewire / wire independently so the wires do not burn up and burn down your truck. 
If they are rated the same or less then you can just wire it in using the stock wires and switch. 

** OP if you can give us the PN for the lights you want to put on it will help us make sure**

This is why we need people like you lol. I'd definitely burn my truck [emoji23]. This info little as it may be, is gold to the not wire/tech savvy people like me.

Thanks for the replies, The ones I am planning on using are the D pods by rigid.  I looked them up and their max amp  draw is 2.14 - 3.14 amps(P/N 501313). I imagine the low amp draw is due to them being LED  I just wanted to prepare if I needed to wire in a relay ...they are plug and play with their own switch but I want to use the factory if at all possible.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, dplarson said:

Are your factory lights spoken for?

I have a 2107 Sierra Base with plastic fillers where there should be fog lights.

Looking to put something brighter than nothing in those holes.

Sent from the demons in my head

Same here, have been looking for install videos, products etc. Mine is a 2019

• 2 weeks later...

I got them installed  ..it was a  pain in the ass....the directions say to remove the three bolts in the back of the factory light...well unless you have miniature hands its not gonna happen. I ended up removing the whole front bumper.  But it is a huge difference. Very well worth the time and money. the only draw back I have found with this set up is that there is very little adjustment you can do. the aiming is ok   a tad high for my liking but over all not bad...just do not drive into oncoming traffic with them on...you will blind them....but overall not a bad setup

• Like 1

I got them installed  ..it was a  pain in the ass....the directions say to remove the three bolts in the back of the factory light...well unless you have miniature hands its not gonna happen. I ended up removing the whole front bumper.  But it is a huge difference. Very well worth the time and money. the only draw back I have found with this set up is that there is very little adjustment you can do. the aiming is ok   a tad high for my liking but over all not bad...just do not drive into oncoming traffic with them on...you will blind them....but overall not a bad setup

I'm pretty big advocate on not blinding oncoming traffic. Obviously you bought them and aren't going to go back now. But these are the moritmoto fog lights with a beam cutoff. The other pic is the D2S 5.0 headlight low beams and fog lights. Also let's see some pics man!

5cd240bb6aef98f7f7d71f17f4504a4f.jpg

ed402c3e64978495ae7a0a48a08b1743.jpg

ill get a few pics tonight... I had looked at the morimoto fogs but I wanted bright since I am a first responder and scene lighting is paramount out here...and I am  not a fan of light bars. These do  a great job and I am very happy with them.... I loved my morimoto Hid/s and leds I had in my silverado and I wished I could move them over to my sierra but I guess I need to save for the full housing retrofit....and if anyone wants a full set of morimoto Hid's I have the full set with the warning cancelation and anti flicker...along with extra ballast and two new ignitors and two new bulbs.  I also have the 2stroke leds for the high beams...this was a great setup and I loved it....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bring up a old thread. Any 1 have issues with fogs not coming on? I thought they were just burnt out. Ordered new 1s and nothing. Dash shows they're on. And the fuse #49 15a is good. Any ideas

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk