Killing a Duramax

Who is watching Gale Banks series?  Is 15 parts long, very detailed, lots of good info.  Long series short.  He wants to blow up a Duramax L5P with bone stock internals.  So far, got 912 HPs and some north of 1200 Ft/Lbs torque.  His limitation was the cam, not enough duration.  So he got one from Comp Cams and was able to get 1,004 HP and 1300+ Ft/Lbs torque.  The engine, still running.

Part 14 he goes into great detail on the Cam Specs and many other issues.  Lots of engine tech and the dreaded.... math.  Dare to watch ?

Edited by 2500W/T
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kylant said:

it's not really stock if he is changing the cam and what ever else ?

Stock rotating assembly and lifter to valve gear. He's stated that a few times clearly enough.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

3 hours ago, kylant said:

it says right there: "1,004 HP Stock Dmax"

I'm done arguing with you. It is not stock

I wasn't aware were were having an argument. Hum.....

I'm going to guess your quite young and have yet to build a motor. If you had you would be quite impressed with the ability of a factory block and stock rotating assembly to be pushed past 1000 hp. No head studs. No stud girdle. No APR main studs or rod bolts. Factory gaskets. Not super rods or crank. Factory oiling. Factory valve gear, springs, collars, keepers, rockers etc. 

By Part 15 everyone following this build knows what Gale means by 'Stock'. Except you I guess. Let me edify you. It means stock rotating assembly. 

• Like 1

As far as engine internals, minus the change in camshaft, its all stock internals.  Bigger turbos, etc. those are all exterior pieces that are required to bump the power.  Otherwise, the pistons, pushrods, lifters, crank, block, bearings?  All 100% stock OEM.  So its a 90% stock long block.  

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

More so with Gale's thoughtful approach to this entire build. A man on an exceeding short list. 

His latest videos the past couple of years have been a nice showing of the engineering work that him and his team do.  I loved watching the diff cover series he did and his cover that they came out with was pretty slick too.   

1 hour ago, newdude said:

As far as engine internals, minus the change in camshaft, its all stock internals.  Bigger turbos, etc. those are all exterior pieces that are required to bump the power.  Otherwise, the pistons, pushrods, lifters, crank, block, bearings?  All 100% stock OEM.  So its a 90% stock long block.  

Yes, yes, It is those parts he is looking to find the weak link in. Purpose of the build he states himself frequently

1 hour ago, newdude said:

His latest videos the past couple of years have been a nice showing of the engineering work that him and his team do.  I loved watching the diff cover series he did and his cover that they came out with was pretty slick too.   

Gale is unique in this approach. David Vizard, Carol Smith and Smokey Yunick wrote books after their careers were over and in retrospect fearing competition. Gale invites it and shows the science unfold. Ernie Elliot needs to write some day me thinks. Ford's envious dealings with Ernie and Bill turned me away from a life long partnership with Ford and NASCAR. Eh, that's another story. Back to Gale.... 

I loved that part in #14 where he showed the piston of another 'tuners' work and explained why that POPULAR method of obtaining a result was....well.....there were better ways to do it that didn't destroy parts. They way he even showed how that pattern of destruction happened.... 

I started watching him when he showed up on a Hot Rod cover as a young man building the GNX V6's. Like Smokey, he a guy th experts (GM,FORD, FCA) go to when stumped.

I believe Gale Banks is one of those guys who BELIEVES that everyone is better when we share and no one profits when we don't. Now if I could just bring myself to buy an oil burner. :lol: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, he wants to demolish the L5P but is after on what components are the weakest.  That is why I posted Episode 14, he goes in great details and why he went with an aftermarket cam.  Obvious reasons, was the Choke Point, cannot shove more Air in the engine, not enough Valve Overlap.  Bigger Turbo, Compressor, etc... would made no difference.  Also, want the engine to fail, find the weak point, demonstrate how much stress you can put on this motor.  Any idiot can kill any Diesel by dumping a crap load of Fuel, burn the pistons and the valves.

I think he is seeking for the L5P to snap the crank or throw a rod or blow/crack a head.  So far, looks indestructable to me.

For what I see, with all 100% internals and follow his research, you can pass the 900 HP mark and 1200+ Ft/Lbs and the motor should last a long time and reliable.  Adding the Cam will put you over the 1K HP.  To me, that extra cost, does not grant the increase on power for street purposes.

I think what he is going to break is a Valve Spring.

Edited by 2500W/T
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...