Transmission Thermostat Delete Pros vs. Cons

Bad wiring harness was found.

Temp sensor was verified ok by a ohm reading written out on service record.

I tried to use the special code to have them reimburse me for the 300$ for complete tranny fluid/ filter/ new oil/ new 2 piece wiring harness yesterday through dealership but it won't work on my truck as it's vin# specific which ones qualify.

I like my truck but I should have bought a Nissan Titan or a Toyota tundra ( so few major issues comparitively )

And now my infotainment screen is on the fritz...

I'm way bummed that these trucks seem so prone to major issues and will probably never buy another again.

10 minutes ago, Ltz4 me? said:

Not surprising.  What year?  2016's have the 10yr/150k mile replacement on the harness because they went from a 2 piece to 1 piece and I guess it had defects in it

10 minutes ago, Ltz4 me? said:

What's it doing?  Mine occasionally glitches like a loose cable.  It does this for 1 second but its done this since about 3k miles and I'm at 38k miles.

11 minutes ago, Ltz4 me? said:

I like my truck but I should have bought a Nissan Titan or a Toyota tundra

Yeah I'm having a little buyers remorse at some of the things going out on mine.  I went through the TCC shudder issue for a few years although the new fluid has helped.  I've had my TCC replaced early on in the 5337 TSB days when it recommended it.

I went through a round of magnetic shocks and still have drive issues that seem like I did nothing.

They pay to replace the faulty harness but will not cover emptying the entire fluid amount or pay for the filter or gaskets b/c it's not the right vin#

Yesterday the guy finally gave me the GM # to call them and ask why it's not covered...

On a great note my vin# will give me a free footbreak bag if it fails and a seat switch if it goes bad ( I laughed and told the service rep. Great gm will pay to fix the only things that aren't broke and not there crap tranny or infotainment issues)

Last GM I'll own...

My 07 silverado had a couple issues but nothing serious like this truck( wish I never traded it in at this point on this POS)

My screen jumps all over between am/fm/ gps and actually changes stations like someone else is controlling it( can actually see buttons being pushed on the screen and also my small dash cluster screen jumps all around on its own too...

I have a extended warranty but I have a 30 day/1000 mile wait period before a claim can be made and from all I've researched on the infotainment screen/ dash screen glitches it doesn't seem that there is a definite fix for it either...

It will go in for this but no hate the thought of multiple times removing these freaking kids seats(which sucks)while they throw darts at the board and have me switch between this truck and rental truck...

What really pisses me off is I had no truck payment before( now 350/ month) for a POS that seams like there's no real fix for both these items other than me doing way more to it to try and get rid of the issue s( tranny relearn procedure s, infotainment updates only a dealer can do, just not a good feeling on this truck...)

I'm wondering if I can do a trade for a nissan or toyota and not pay anymore in the process?( I'd have to eat the 2k I paid for the extended warranty but at this point that's where I'm.at I think unless I see a definite fix on these two items...)

1 minute ago, Ltz4 me? said:

tranny relearn procedure s, infotainment updates only a dealer can do

You could try a local shop to do these.  This isn't a dealer only item, you could even purchase a GM MDI and then pay for the 3 day ACDELCO TIS2WEB subscription ($57 last time I checked) and update your own calibration and firmware and do fast relearn.

In my home town I found someone that invested in a GM MDI and they can read and check calibrations like the dealer can.  The GM MDI 2 is like $900 though and be careful of the older GM MDI, there are many clones, some good, some bad.

My Foxwell scanner will do some of the relearns and resets and it was only $150ish.

2 hours ago, Ltz4 me? said:

I tried to use the special code to have them reimburse me for the 300$ for complete tranny fluid/ filter/ new oil/ new 2 piece wiring harness yesterday through dealership but it won't work on my truck as it's vin# specific which ones qualify.

I like my truck but I should have bought a Nissan Titan or a Toyota tundra ( so few major issues comparitively )

I'm way bummed that these trucks seem so prone to major issues and will probably never buy another again.

i would have just refurbed an old tahoe my self instead of spending $32k on my new silverado... the older pre-direct injecion  cars and trucks is the way to go!

FWIW GM Corporate is useless for issue follow-ups. Their "Senior Advisors" lack customer service. Its astonishing they are even classified as "customer service reps". Best of luck to you with them.

Tossing in my 2 cents because of the Tundra comment above...

I have a 2014 Tundra, owned it since new. Currently has 87k miles. Aside from normal services (oil, ATF, plugs, etc) list of "issues":

• T-case replaced at 8k miles due to excessive shaft play (took me 5k miles of arguing with Toyota dealerships. Finally got Corporate involved, they finally sent out a field tech per my request and astonishingly..."oh yeah, that's not normal". New T-case installed the next day...).
  • Door panel replaced at 34k due to slight popping near my elbow where it rested.
  • Rear seat brackets showing slight surface rust, replaced with new/proactively repainted by the dealership due to the OE paint being lackluster.
  • HVAC Amplifier around 75k miles.

That's it. And I wheel the hell out of it, lifted/tires, blah blah.

On the other hand, we purchased a 2019 Tahoe LT with 42k miles on it from a GM group dealer. List of issues within our first 5k miles (I think there is one or two other things I cannot remember offhand):

• Front differential case half leaking
  • Motor mounts
  • Water pump pulley
  • Vacuum pump
  • Starter screeching
  • Idle quality (even with new motor mounts) is poor

What makes it tough is, the Wife LOVES the styling, etc of the Tahoe. There is nothing else in the class she would consider...and believe me, I have tried lol

Edited by 14burrito

2 minutes ago, 14burrito said:

FWIW GM Corporate is useless for issue follow-ups. Their "Senior Advisors" lack customer service. Its astonishing they are even classified as "customer service reps". Best of luck to you with them.

Side tossing in my 2 cents because of the Tundra comment above...

I have a 2014 Tundra, owned it since new. Currently has 87k miles. Aside from normal services (oil, ATF, plugs, etc) list of "issues":

• T-case replaced at 8k miles due to excessive shaft play (took me 5k miles of arguing with Toyota dealerships. Finally got Corporate involved, they finally sent out a field tech per my request and astonishingly..."oh yeah, that's not normal". New T-case installed the next day...).
  • Door panel replaced at 34k due to slight popping near my elbow where it rested.
  • Rear seat brackets showing slight surface rust, replaced with new/proactively repainted by the dealership due to the OE paint being lackluster.
  • HVAC Amplifier around 75k miles.

That's it. And I wheel the hell out of it, lifted/tires, blah blah.

On the other hand, we purchased a 2019 Tahoe LT with 42k miles on it from a GM group dealer. List of issues within our first 5k miles:

• Front differential case half leaking
  • Motor mounts
  • Water pump pulley
  • Vacuum pump
  • Starter screeching
  • Idle quality (even with new motor mounts) is poor

i'de say your doing alright if thats your only issues, most wonky stuff on these trucks can be fixed with HPtuners

6 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

i'de say your doing alright if thats your only issues, most wonky stuff on these trucks can be fixed with HPtuners

Doing alright? Sarcasm I hope... If that is "doing alright" - what does your list look like?

That is quite the list of issues within 5k miles of ownership. Luckily (aside from starter and idle) all fixed under warranty.

I have been seeing more and more of my "other" concerns being addressed by tuning. I will wait until my PT warranty is up at 60k before going that route though. I also find it hilarious the cost of the extended warranty through GM. IIRC coverage up to 100K miles was something like 3200 (could be wrong). I opted for an extended warranty on my Tundra, coverage to 100K miles or 8 years, and it was less than $1200. Makes me wonder why the GM extended coverage is so high...?

Edited by 14burrito

5 minutes ago, 14burrito said:

cost of the extended warranty through GM. IIRC coverage up to 100K miles was something like 3200 (could be wrong)

I paid $3700 for 5 year 60k miles on my 2015 Yukon since my powertrain just expired but I hope to keep it for another 5 years.  Stuff on it is expensive to repair/replace.

2 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

I paid $3700 for 5 year 60k miles on my 2015 Yukon since my powertrain just expired but I hope to keep it for another 5 years.  Stuff on it is expensive to repair/replace.

to the OP, sorry for the bunny trail...

@dwchapmanjr - hence my comment:

"Makes me wonder why the GM extended coverage is so high...?"

Based off my list of warranty items thus far, I can see why the cost of extended warranty is so much.

And that was my final thought on that topic, going back to the meat and potatoes of the thread...

Hopefully I will get around to installing the new thermostat housing on the gearbox this weekend. Interested to see the change in behavior not only in regards to temps but shift quality as well.