For those with gm cold air intake

Did you install yourself and have dealer reprogram or did you have dealer install and reprogram? Any issue with warranty if I install it myself and have the dealer do the reprogram?

Installed mine myself. 2019 6.2l. Then took it to the dealer for the reprogramming  I spoke to the Service Manager, he said no issues with installing myself. The hardest part was waiting for the reprogramming. They had to call GM with my VIN before receiving the proper labor code. Took nearly two hours.

MPG increase? Slight increase at best, but less than 100 miles on it so far.

Edited by Sarge12R

Your truck has a modern, direct injection motor.  The regular air filter vs. a CAI will have next to no effect on fuel efficiency, except perhaps at high RPMs (but at that point, having only two valves per cylinder is a much greater hindrance.)  If you're hitting the rev limiter on a regular basis, you're probably not concerned about fuel efficiency anyway.  The trucks would most certainly come with CAIs from the factory if they improved fuel economy significantly.

• Like 2

I ordered a flat panel Green Filter sized for my truck. Took the bottom half of the OEM Air Box out of my 2020 Sierra 1500 6.2. Loosen the clamp holding the lid/MAF spun it 180 degrees so it was now the bottom. Used High temp red gasket seal around the rim of "lid". Inserted the filter (pleated side out) placed a real book on it . Let set over night. I practiced with my original filter the night before. Drove the original filter around the block and it was an improvement over being buried in the OEM box. The red gasket peels right off of the rubber of the filter and the plastic of the OEM lid. Next morning the seal was fine and it saved buying a cold air intake causes lets face it no air under that hood is cold after ten minutes so the little bit of plastic shielding the filter of a $500 intake system is not doing a bit of good. Just touch the windshield bug juice bottle after a trip to town, better get a glove. Ok why a Green Filter. At first it was green an my Dark Sky paint has hints of green. After using it for a month I am giving them props. Something so simple and inexpensive sound, great and I can feel an increase tug from the engine. Now like the GM air box from the dealer the increased air sets of a warning that will eventually go away when it learns this is the new air amount or you can pay the dealer to reprogram it. Like they do their own box. I hate my local dealer so much I'll hit the dismiss button before going to them. I did keep all the OEM equipment incase the truck ever needs work at a dealer. All the aftermarkets brag that the do not need to reprogram the computer. Id think if you can trip the computer you are sending it air. I did it with Green Filter, $60, free shipping, and 5 minutes of labor time. Best of luck to All

Filter.jpg

Can confirm no issue installing on your own. The only thing that is not covered under the warranty of the gm product is the labor now. So in essence if something breaks they give me the part and I’m responsible for install myself or pay the dealer to do it. Since there is only 3 parts and it all took an hour total I think I’ll be just fine. 

Just finished installing my intake an hour ago, it really is straight forward.  Trickiest part was getting the bottom in correctly.  

I ordered the exhaust and intake from GM performance with 20% off and free shipping to my dealer.  Ordered it Friday, arrived at dealer today.  Picked up the intake to install myself, then dropping off at the dealer tomorrow at 7:00am for flash and exhaust install.   

06A48506-D710-43E2-8518-7F85759BF84D.jpeg

5686E9BF-6AF6-4352-80EA-41742A224516.jpeg

I installed the intake myself on Saturday and had the dealer reflash the computer today. Only difference if you install it yourself is you get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the intake instead of a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty if you let the dealer install it. I can't comment on mpg gains since my truck only has 250 miles on it. 2020 Trail Boss with the 6.2.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Transient said:

I installed the intake myself on Saturday and had the dealer reflash the computer today. Only difference if you install it yourself is you get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the intake instead of a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty if you let the dealer install it. I can't comment on mpg gains since my truck only has 250 miles on it. 2020 Trail Boss with the 6.2.

So spend $90+ for dealership to install and gain 2 years/24k miles on warranty.  Man GM find every way to get you don't they!!! 

So spend $90+ for dealership to install and gain 2 years/24k miles on warranty.  Man GM find every way to get you don't they!!! 
Agreed that it doesn't make any sense at all