Self programming a new RKE transmitter-anybody do it?

garyo

You have to have BOTH your original RKE's to program a new one, so if you are getting a new one, the user manual method is useless.

I had to replace one of  mine.  (run over and crushed by a truck - long story) so I bought a new one from the dealer, and attempted to program it using several methods found online plus the owner's manual method and nothing worked.

So in addition to $250 it cost for the RKE and key insert, I had to pay the dealer $150 to do the programming.  (requires use of propriety plug in module to do it)  So, as we've always suspected, do NOT lose one of yours, it is as expensive as people always say!

No one from the parts desk or the Service Dept was able to look me in the eye during this!

Manual has 2 procedures. 

One for 'with' transmitters and one for 'without' transmitters.

The 'without transmitters' procedure will not work in Canada. 

IIRC, on the previous gen trucks it was necessary to visit dealer for FOB programming -- but the owners manual had the procedure to program new/more keys. 

If you have an existing key, it’s pretty straightforward to do. It takes a while to complete, but it’s not too bad. I had a key fob stolen so I only had one remaining. I also wanted to renumber them for whatever reason that was important at the time (I needed to be Driver #1).

If you bought the replacement online, the harder part is getting the physical key cut. Only a few places have the machine, and the one I went to refused to do it unless I bought the actual key from them. Ace Hardwares tend to have the machine, and they can order just the physical key part for you.

i think the dealer wanted around $300 for the key + programming. I ordered the key fob for $99, programmed myself. Probably spent another $30 or so on the physical key + cutting.

Be careful testing the physical key after cutting. I somehow disabled my truck for around 20 minutes after testing if it worked while the vehicle was “locked”. It was weird and frustrating, OnStar was also no help.