Air Filter Change

So my truck is about 2 years old.  I don’t drive it much and have about 17K miles on it.  I went to NAPA and bought an air filter and a cabin filter.  Then, I read the manual.  Cabin filter recommendation is 22,500 miles or two years - I’m right on track.  Then I read that the engine air filter recommendation is 45K miles or 4 years!  How is that even possible?  Does anyone have any logic for holding off on the replacement?  I figured two years, even with my low miles and around town driving, was stretching it.  Is there something magical about filters these days that I’m missing?  Heck, I got some new wipers too.  Maybe I should have waited.  Didn’t look them up, but maybe they can go five years :)

Manuals to me are more guidelines than anything. I work for Toyota at a dealership (yes yes I know, bad on both those levels lol espically here), however after 10K miles some cars are so disgusting you think they were 100K miles old. Cabin filters people are TERRIBLE about replacing, enough to where I'm shocked they won't replace them and we have told them its basically a garbage can smell wafting through their vehicle. However some vehicles they are replaced at 20K miles or 10K miles regardless how clean they are, its part of the service offered with a new purchase.

My thoughts personally on filters are if its dirty enough where you want to change it, change it. I bought an engine air filter for my truck before seeing mine, I knew it was going to be dirty, but it could run another 15K easy. I figured it's in my hand, ill replace it. Just wish the box screws were easier to remove... (you'll see [emoji6]). Cabins I will always be on top of. Amazon they are 8 bucks, its a burger and fries to keep dust out of my LTZ interior, and to be fresh for my parents during roadtrips, then I won't hesitate.

Wow this got long fast.... sorry. Hope it helps? If you want links for charcoal carbon filters ill link it, thats what I use

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cabin filters as stated above are forgotten more than anything.  Case in point.  My next door neighbor has a 2008 Buick and he purchased from a friend.  I change the oil for him and went to change the cabin filter and it was the original one. It was so full of trash that I'm surprised the HVAC system even had air flow.  This Buick also only has 82k miles on it.

As for engine filters.  I usually change mine out every 20k miles.  Just something I do and makes me feel better that the engine can breath.  We live in a high pollen area in the spring and you might not be able to see it but it can fill up a filter. 

Yes, the manual is a guide and if followed it will serve well, but there are times and common sense that one should take into account, like the air filter.  It depends on your driving style and area.  Like is it in a high pollen and dusty  location, do you drive on a lot of dirt roads, that kind of thing.

• Like 2

Lsgun1, yes, I have them and will be putting them in.  I just couldn’t believe the recommendation in the manual.  Crazy.

VanguardK2, wish I’d had thought to look on Amazon.  At $8, I will probably change my cabin filter annually.  Thanks.

Manuals to me are more guidelines than anything. I work for Toyota at a dealership (yes yes I know, bad on both those levels lol espically here), however after 10K miles some cars are so disgusting you think they were 100K miles old. Cabin filters people are TERRIBLE about replacing, enough to where I'm shocked they won't replace them and we have told them its basically a garbage can smell wafting through their vehicle. However some vehicles they are replaced at 20K miles or 10K miles regardless how clean they are, its part of the service offered with a new purchase.

My thoughts personally on filters are if its dirty enough where you want to change it, change it. I bought an engine air filter for my truck before seeing mine, I knew it was going to be dirty, but it could run another 15K easy. I figured it's in my hand, ill replace it. Just wish the box screws were easier to remove... (you'll see [emoji6]). Cabins I will always be on top of. Amazon they are 8 bucks, its a burger and fries to keep dust out of my LTZ interior, and to be fresh for my parents during roadtrips, then I won't hesitate.

Wow this got long fast.... sorry. Hope it helps? If you want links for charcoal carbon filters ill link it, thats what I use

Is this what you use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KPN5MO0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AGSrFbS674XFY

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Is this what you use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KPN5MO0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AGSrFbS674XFY

No this one. Amazon says it doesn't fit my 16 silverado, but I bought this and installed it cause when I bought it, it said it fit build quality is great and has the heft of the factory toyota carbon filters, so I trust it for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP525XP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

No this one. Amazon says it doesn't fit my 16 silverado, but I bought this and installed it cause when I bought it, it said it fit build quality is great and has the heft of the factory toyota carbon filters, so I trust it for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP525XP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Is the charcoal filter really better? I mean can you tell any difference from the factory filter?

I just replaced engine air filters in both my 18's with Fram from Walmart. If I remember it says good for 40,000 miles on the box. Of course this depends on where you drive. 

How hard is it to change the cabin filter? Probably just as dirty as the engine air filter. Correct?

It gets the air from almost the same place. 

I can see why they get nasty.

I just replaced engine air filters in both my 18's with Fram from Walmart. If I remember it says good for 40,000 miles on the box. Of course this depends on where you drive. 
How hard is it to change the cabin filter? Probably just as dirty as the engine air filter. Correct?
It gets the air from almost the same place. 
I can see why they get nasty.
I haven't done it yet but YouTube videos show you have to take the glove box out and reach up and unlatch a compartment and pull it out. Says it's kinda hard if you have big hands.

Is the charcoal filter really better? I mean can you tell any difference from the factory filter?

There's been plenty of people who swear be either for or against them, its more preference, but I would assume 99.9% wouldn't notice the difference for or against it. Im sure there's some measurable difference in fan speed to the cabin, but the pollen in Colorado gets wild, especially in my neighborhood, and with my jeep and regular filter it'd still get real dusty using my AC, but the carbon filter in my truck doesn't let much in comparison for sure. I'd say get it if you live on a dirt road type environment with dust kicked up, or smog. But i think its a solid bet to do since the price isn't much difference. Like 7 for regular and 12 for carbon.

Cabin filter is not too bad, just a little awkward to do, I cut a thin piece of cardboard from a beer box same size as the filter to slide under the filter before you pull it out that way the cardboard catches any debris that could fall into the fan, helpful if you have a dead mouse on top of your filter, trust me you'll know if you have a dead mouse in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's been plenty of people who swear be either for or against them, its more preference, but I would assume 99.9% wouldn't notice the difference for or against it. Im sure there's some measurable difference in fan speed to the cabin, but the pollen in Colorado gets wild, especially in my neighborhood, and with my jeep and regular filter it'd still get real dusty using my AC, but the carbon filter in my truck doesn't let much in comparison for sure. I'd say get it if you live on a dirt road type environment with dust kicked up, or smog. But i think its a solid bet to do since the price isn't much difference. Like 7 for regular and 12 for carbon.

Thanks. Are you saying the charcoal filter may slow the fan down as in restricting the flow? I don't live on a dirt road but I have a long gravel driveway that gets pretty dusty at times. I may try one soon. Truck is 2018 with 12,000 miles.