2.7L Oil..Synthetic?

Being your first post, I don't want to be a jack-hole, but check your owners manual man.

5W-30 Synthetic

Engine Oil

Viscosity Grade: SAE 5W-30
Specification: dexos1
Oil Capacity - with Filter: 6.0 qt (5.7 L)

Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 deg C (−20 deg F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Caution: Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.

Use full synthetic engine oils that meet the dexos1 specification. Engine oils that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the dexos1 approved logo.

• Like 1

I would think most mfg's call for synthetic nowadays.  Not sure, but if i had to venture a guess...

Enjoy that new turbo motor, OP and post some pics of your new ride!

Do you plan on doing the oil changes yourself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicarod said:

I would think most mfg's call for synthetic nowadays.  Not sure, but if i had to venture a guess...

Enjoy that new turbo motor, OP and post some pics of your new ride!

Do you plan on doing the oil changes yourself?

Thanks, yeah I will post some pics,.... just picked up last night a 2020 elevation, the reason I was asking about the oil was because the oil changes were part of my negotiations, I got them to give me 10 oil changes and wanted to be crystal clear with the dealer on what I expect so I made them put in the verbiage of the deal full synthetic...

1 hour ago, ScipElevation said:

Thanks, yeah I will post some pics,.... just picked up last night a 2020 elevation, the reason I was asking about the oil was because the oil changes were part of my negotiations, I got them to give me 10 oil changes and wanted to be crystal clear with the dealer on what I expect so I made them put in the verbiage of the deal full synthetic...

Unless you watch them to see what they put in, not all dealerships seem to use what is recommended.  I know this might sound odd but I have seen it myself.  The individual just grabs what they always use and fills up with it.  Again, not all places are like this but it does happen. As most are swamped and try to get vehicles in and out in a timely manner.  This is why it is best to do your own oil changes.

6 hours ago, Colossus said:

It's just a matter of time before we see conventional and blend oils go bye bye, in favor of full synthetic.  Makes sense. 

Interesting side notes.

From Statista:

Of a 42 gallon barrel of crude oil on 1/2 gallon is used for lubricating products. 

From Machinery Lubrication:

Currently, Group III accounts for less than 1 percent of the (lubricating) capacity in plants. Group I base oils previously made up 56 percent of the capacity, compared to 28 percent of the capacity in today's plants.

From Lubesngreases.com:

Speaker Forecasts Shift to Group II+, Group III

George Gill - September 19, 2018

She predicted that base oils used for engine lubricants in the United States will shift to Group II+ and some Group III. In 2017, Groups I and II accounted for 87 percent of such demand, with Group III accounted for the remaining 13 percent. By 2027, the combined share for Group I and II will decline to 65 percent, while Group III's share will increase to 35 percent, she said.

For clarity sake: Group II+ will be part of that 35% increase and Group II as we know it will decline

Group II+ can already be called a 'synthetic'. 

These three oils. Red Line HP....AMSOIL SS and MPT 30K are all PAO/POE blends. There maybe a few more but these three I could verify. 

7 hours ago, Mike_F said:

What criteria denotes a premium filter?

Price?

Looking for filter recommendations for a 6.2.

Go to the "Forums" tab at the top of this page.

Scroll down to "Technical and Advanced"

Click on "Vehicle Appearance, Care, & Maintenance"

Click on "Practical Lubrication & Filtration"

Scroll down to the filtration post. 

Get a cuppa an relax. You will figure it out. 

?

Oil filters rated for 5000-10,000+ miles are a good start,

As far as brand names go, There are only a handful of filter manufacturers who build filters for the big names.  Manufacturers like Wix and Champion labs, for example.. they may make filters for brands like NAPA, AC/Delco, MOBIL-1, K&N, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Motorcraft, Mopar, Crapota, and such.  (but to their specifications)

56 minutes ago, Colossus said:

Oil filters rated for 5000-10,000+ miles are a good start,

As far as brand names go, There are only a handful of filter manufacturers who build filters for the big names.  Manufacturers like Wix and Champion labs, for example.. they may make filters for brands like NAPA, AC/Delco, MOBIL-1, K&N, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Motorcraft, Mopar, Crapota, and such.  (but to their specifications)

While absolutely true I want to reinforce that last line in bold above. Champion may make filters for ten different vendors that have five totally different specs. Bosch and Mobil 1 have the same supplier and yet are worlds apart. 

Then there are a few like Donaldson that make only their own filters. Their P577065 is a cross for the PF63E used on the Ecotec3 motors. However it has a Beta of 2 (50%) at 21 micron. It WILL let small cats and dogs through and currently only has a 12 psi relief spring. 

Purolator is a key division of Mann & Hummel. Mann & Hummel also make Mann filters, Filtron in Europe and WIX/NAPA. Yes, WIX nor NAPA are not made by Champion. (See for yourself, link below)

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/areas-of-expertise/product-brands/

Do not kid yourself. WIX/NAPA and Purolator are NOT in the same league in filtration. Specs are in the Lubrication and Filtration forum I eluded to earlier. You will be surprised how efficient the Pure One and BOSS Purolator are. Purolator Red is a dog and cat catcher. Anyway......