Received my Black Z71 Badges

I just received my Black Z71 badges I ordered from eBay. I was a bit cautious when ordering, but after receiving them I am pretty impressed by the quality. They seem to made of quality plastic with crisp edges and the grid inside the 71 is very detailed. 

Also the entire back of the badge is covered in adhesive instead of just a few strips of 3M tape.

I will be looking at installing them this weekend. Here are a few up close pics of them as received.

IMG_5233.thumb.JPEG.198121f0dfd350284a090fc81f08d4c6.JPEG

IMG_5234.thumb.JPEG.3eb7da7e36b5e4193d6fb51fe4f8d5a1.JPEG

IMG_5235.thumb.JPEG.dea82aefa1f4c4d1e87a29b781786995.JPEG

• Like 1

Have you taken the factory badges off yet? I just did that project yesterday. I don't know what kind of adhesive GM uses on those things but you could pave roads with it. It was a project getting those off. Whew. I don't think I'll replace mine with anything but those look really nice.

1 hour ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Have you taken the factory badges off yet? I just did that project yesterday. I don't know what kind of adhesive GM uses on those things but you could pave roads with it. It was a project getting those off. Whew. I don't think I'll replace mine with anything but those look really nice.

I heard it was a project to remove the stock ones. Not looking forward to it. 

I’ve debadged most of my previous trucks. These will be the only ones I remove from this truck, having the midnight edition on a black truck I like all the black badges. Just wanted to complete them in black. 

Any advice on these ones? I typically use just a little carefully applied heat from a hair dryer and some 30-50lb fishing leader. Thanks!

7 hours ago, childstoys said:

I heard it was a project to remove the stock ones. Not looking forward to it. 

I’ve debadged most of my previous trucks. These will be the only ones I remove from this truck, having the midnight edition on a black truck I like all the black badges. Just wanted to complete them in black. 

Any advice on these ones? I typically use just a little carefully applied heat from a hair dryer and some 30-50lb fishing leader. Thanks!

I used a hair dryer and dental floss. I would recommend fishing line because the dental floss broke on me a few times. And gloves so you don't slice your hand haha. 

My biggest issue was getting the glue off. I worked on it forever with heat and Goo Gone. It's tough. My buddy has an attachment for his drill that's made to take pinstripes off and it took care of the glue in about two minutes. Didn't scuff the paint but I hand polished it after just in case. Then I felt dumb for working so long with the Goo Gone haha. 

• Thanks 1

Can't wait to get mine on!!!!  I'm going to use the heat/fishing line/goo gone method too.  

The tailgate gets rebadging also....all black.  Ill post pics.

Mine are also OEM/GM products.  Don't buy the Amazon cheapie ones.  I did and they were super shady looking.  Jagged, scratched easy, the adhesive backing was all peeled up around the corners.  I sent them back and got mine from an Ebay seller.

20200924_190402.jpg

20200924_190021.jpg

• Like 1

Almost forgot to post the "done" pics here.

Installed the badges over the weekend... very happy with the end result. After having these on for a few days now, I really like them over the original chrome ones. Adhesive seemed quality at time of install. Only time will tell on how it holds up. 

As many said the factory adhesive is tough. Just keep heating it with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and peel it back over itself into a ball. Then the Goof Off takes minimal effort to remove the rest. I prefer the Goof Off over the Goo Gone when debadging. I've never had the acetone damage the paint and it seems way more effective then the citrus based Goo Gone IMHO.

IMG_5252.thumb.JPEG.96450c0c5a506e2b21f6daf0ea4e0328.JPEGIMG_5253.thumb.JPEG.5ce998850a0cacf32d7d2f322d7bc6b3.JPEGIMG_5255.thumb.JPEG.2b1d16b8f42d44c35cf245141084dbeb.JPEG

Edited by childstoys
  • Like 2