Engine flush

On 9/25/2020 at 8:40 PM, Joe Zimbardo said:

Has anyone ever flushed the engine block (where the coolant is pumped in and out of block) what is the best chemical ro pump through engine block?

From my GMT-900 shop manual:

Flushing

Important:

• Do not use a chemical flush.
  • Store used coolant in the proper manner, such as in a used engine coolant holding tank. Do not pour used coolant down a drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Do not dispose of coolant into the sewer system or ground water. This is illegal and ecologically unsound.
  • Various methods and equipment can be used to flush the cooling system. If special equipment is used (such as a back flusher) follow the manufacturer's instructions. However, always remove the thermostat before back flushing the system.
  1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Place the transmission in park (P) or neutral (N).
  3. Engage the park brake.
  4. Run the engine until the thermostat opens.
  5. Stop the engine.
  6. Follow the drain and fill procedure unsing only clean drinkable water. Repeat the procedure if necessary, until the fluid is nearly colorless. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill) (See: Service and Repair).
  7. Fill the coolant reservoir to the FULL HOT mark.
  8. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static Fill) (See: Service and Repair).

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Watched the video. Where does the 'sand' come from in a sealed system? 

It's like Colossus said + removing all of the casting sand has never been an exact science.  We just pray it doesn't accumulate in an oil passageway.

Edited by GhostWriter
  • Like 1

Good info and video.

I changed out the coolant on my 2002  Silverado and on my 2014 Cruze with AMSOIL's low toxicity coolant.  I didn't flush the blocks, just drained and ran distilled water through the system until it came out clear.  Then I put in the new coolant.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Colossus said:

that's from the casting/deterioration of the block and radiator and other engine components that the coolant touches. 

18 hours ago, GhostWriter said:

It's like Colossus said + removing all of the casting sand has never been an exact science.  We just pray it doesn't accumulate in an oil passageway.

It was a rhetorical question ? 

That would make this service about 5 years and 150K mile to late by my OM.

:crazy:

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Good info and video.

I changed out the coolant on my 2002  Silverado and on my 2014 Cruze with AMSOIL's low toxicity coolant.  I didn't flush the blocks, just drained and ran distilled water through the system until it came out clear.  Then I put in the new coolant.

I think in 6 decades of driving I've replaced one water pump and two radiators.

Birds will mess you up. 

6 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Good info and video.

I was unable to get the thermostat out on my 96 lumina so I didn't do a complete flush like above the other day, I ended up doing just like you did, distilled water.  I did run a BG cleaner product in it prior to emptying the old and running the distilled thru, then I added a conditioner to the new dex-cool.  I've already noticed a difference with the temps running cooler (but still normal) vs before the fluid change out, I just hope the thermostat holds out as long as I keep the car.  That or I pay a few hundred bucks for the labor involved to get to the thermostat.  The 3.1L for this year requires the removal of the front exhaust manifold to get to the thermostat housing/intake :(  Bummer. 

4 hours ago, Colossus said:

I was unable to get the thermostat out on my 96 lumina so I didn't do a complete flush like above the other day, I ended up doing just like you did, distilled water.  I did run a BG cleaner product in it prior to emptying the old and running the distilled thru, then I added a conditioner to the new dex-cool.  I've already noticed a difference with the temps running cooler (but still normal) vs before the fluid change out, I just hope the thermostat holds out as long as I keep the car.  That or I pay a few hundred bucks for the labor involved to get to the thermostat.  The 3.1L for this year requires the removal of the front exhaust manifold to get to the thermostat housing/intake :(  Bummer. 

You should be good to go.  I had the original thermostat in my 2002 at 200k miles.  Keeping the coolant fresh helps. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GhostWriter said:

Your question wasn't grumpy enough.  We knew it was a rhetorical.

What we really want to know is if you are willing to recognize Bob Gibson's  greatness?

Absolutely!!!

Sad he has passed.

Only screwball pitcher I've ever seen.

We had in school absence during the 64 world series. We all went the gym and watched on TV all the games during school hours. We had a cool principle. Struck out 9 consecutive batters in that one. 67-68 series I stayed home to watch the games he pitched. I wasn't as much a Cardinals fan as I was a fan of Bob's. He was awesome even on a bad outing. 

Consecutive Quality Starts: Bob Gibson (26)

Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson is the current standard-bearer with 26 consecutive quality starts. (source The Bleacher Report)

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Absolutely!!!

Sad he has passed.

Only screwball pitcher I've ever seen.

We had in school absence during the 64 world series. We all went the gym and watched on TV all the games during school hours. We had a cool principle. 

Consecutive Quality Starts: Bob Gibson (26)

Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson is the current standard-bearer with 26 consecutive quality starts. (source The Bleacher Report)

In 4th grade, our cool principal announced the death of JFK.  Less than one year later, she allowed for the '64 series to be played in the  hallways.

To this day, I have appreciated this small gesture that, I believe, helped shape us.  She seemed to recognize that our young minds   weren't actually healed, yet.  Not sure why I'm sharing all this; but, have never been a letter-of-the-law type of individual since.  

1000 apologies to the OP.  From JFK, to the '64 series, to Bob?  Thank's for being patient with me, catching up with myself.

Edited by GhostWriter
  • Thanks 1