2021 Tahoe issues-water inside driver side, water in door?

So I have had my new 2021 Tahoe, Premier, that I have been waiting for and so excited about, since I had my last Tahoe for 13 years and ZERO issues. After about 500 miles on the  2021 Tahoe, I noticed a sound, like water running through a drain pipe. It was on the drivers side. It had been raining, so it sounded as if it was draining, but very loud. THEN, the next day, we noticed quite a bit of water under the drivers floor mat. It took 10 days to get this Tahoe into the Chevy dealer where I bought it, and by then, there were signs of mold in the carpet. SO, we took it to Autobell, had them clean the water and mold out (after picts of course) and ran it through the car wash to clean outside, and see if the water "situation" would happen again - and of course - it did! So finally getting it into service at Chevy, they had NO loaner, until I basically begged, and they kept my car for 3 days. In the mean time I called to ask about it several times, and nobody called me back. Finally, I get a call, my Tahoe is fixed and ready.... But wait, it rains 3 days later... water is back, and I am headed  back to a dealer AGAIN! This is an $81,000 car. Not only should I get in to a dealer quickly, when there is water in my car, but have a loaner folks - this is really disturbing situation, and crappy service. I am very disappointed in the way the dealer is not concerned, and how they are not taking care of their customers. Most of all - I am sick about my new car. we will see. Anyone else have this issue?

On 9/30/2020 at 2:27 PM, Jennifer Clark said:

So I have had my new 2021 Tahoe, Premier, that I have been waiting for and so excited about, since I had my last Tahoe for 13 years and ZERO issues. After about 500 miles on the  2021 Tahoe, I noticed a sound, like water running through a drain pipe. It was on the drivers side. It had been raining, so it sounded as if it was draining, but very loud. THEN, the next day, we noticed quite a bit of water under the drivers floor mat. It took 10 days to get this Tahoe into the Chevy dealer where I bought it, and by then, there were signs of mold in the carpet. SO, we took it to Autobell, had them clean the water and mold out (after picts of course) and ran it through the car wash to clean outside, and see if the water "situation" would happen again - and of course - it did! So finally getting it into service at Chevy, they had NO loaner, until I basically begged, and they kept my car for 3 days. In the mean time I called to ask about it several times, and nobody called me back. Finally, I get a call, my Tahoe is fixed and ready.... But wait, it rains 3 days later... water is back, and I am headed  back to a dealer AGAIN! This is an $81,000 car. Not only should I get in to a dealer quickly, when there is water in my car, but have a loaner folks - this is really disturbing situation, and crappy service. I am very disappointed in the way the dealer is not concerned, and how they are not taking care of their customers. Most of all - I am sick about my new car. we will see. Anyone else have this issue?

open a case with chevy customer care

• Like 1

So the people with the $21,000 car shouldn't get quick service or a loaner? You bought one of the most expensive brand new vehicles at a entry level car manufacturer, you aren't getting luxury car service levels, amount paid doesn't determine amount of entitlement. I would be upset about the loaner but your car still runs and drives, they should off set it and allow a loaner at rental car company at least but it also depends on the severity of the issue. They only have so many loaners to give out and with the travel industry in shambles and rental agency's selling their stocks they probably can't give out a loaner to every person (regardless of how much they spent) if it is still drivable. A person brining in a vehicle for a rogue sound they hear every once in a while a loaner shouldn't be as important as say an engine no start issue so they need to keep some in stock and around as well as keep costs down from handing out rentals for every little issue. Either way it sucks, but a brand new redesign will have some teething issues, hopefully the dealer works with you better (if it is who you bought it from they should take even better care of you). If you are that unhappy open a case with Chevy customer care and escalate it from there. Escalate, Escalade, that would have better service levels you expect.  

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Jennifer Clark said:

On 9/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, Jennifer Clark said:

Same issue it sounds to me as wife and I are having with ours.  Bought Sept 30th, 2020.  Our 2021 Tahoe High Country had severe water leak somewhere.  Only found out after taking it to car wash and,employee vacuuming the floormats notified me of a wet driver side floorboard.  Thank God for her awareness!!!  I had my wife sit in the 3rd row driver side and I used water hose and ran water on sunroof.  Water was pouring into the 3rd row floor board somewhere.  After taking it to dealership the rear drain tube from sunroof was not properly installed at factory  while going down assembly line.  I had to fight dealership to get carpet replaced.  What is your VIN #??? Curious of production sequence???  I opened a case with GM Corporate and they have escalated the case.  Vehicle is still at the dealership. 

Our VIN# last six......132712

Jennifer also to let you know I'm pursuing GM to repurchase our vehicle back since it only has 3,800 miles and cost $85,400.  And in return we just want a same Tahoe without defects.  If not, I'll fight on.  We've owned 3 Tahoes and are loyal customers so I'm hopeful!  If not, I'll start with my state Atty Gen Office.  Some AG Offices have a consumer protection division for issues like these.  They work on your behalf and possibly mediate the case.  Good luck.

Edited by KyThunder84
Add additional information
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I had a similar problem on a 2009 Tahoe, I heard water sloshing around in one of the rear doors. I investigated and found there was a piece of tape blocking the drain hole/slot. The plastic that they put on at the factory to protect the interior doors was taped on an a piece was blocking the hole. get down an look up to see if the drain is blocked - find a screwdriver  or a tool that fits into the slot and push it up to clear the drain. 

I ordered a new Tahoe waiting for deliver sometime in jan.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Yes, we have the very same problem! 2021 Tahoe and the drivers side floor is soaked! Have had it to the dealer 3 times and is still soaked! There is water sitting in the between the drivers seat and door frame underneath the door/floor trim when you pull it up! The carpet is also drenched! Does anyone know what and where the water is coming from?

• 3 months later...

I feel your pain. They should bring you cup cakes on a gold platter if you are willing to throw money at them for a vehicle. But if reliability is no longer a factor, why buy a brand new rig for 85 G's? They are "driving away" customers. You know how many 10+ year old rigs you could for that kinda scratch? Drive a different rig every day. That's 12 grand per rig, per day of the week. And if one or two or even five of them break down, you still have a rig, and a backup rig. A spunky offroad style Jeep, a Corvette of course, A fancy Mercedes, an old school Rolls Royce, a Lexus (for the kids), a BIG van, and a BIG truck. These would not be beaters, these are nice rides. Shop around, get a good ones. Or buy a 1965 Mustang for 10 G's, and drop another 75K into pimping it out with 44" spinners and 16 karat gold paint. They need to make customers happy, because it costs you like 5 grand of depreciation every 6 months. The customers should get something in return for all that money. From here on out, I would say: Just get two rigs... Get a soccer mom minivan with pink rims, a system, and lifetime AAA, and also get a blue convertible Dodge Viper. Those two rigs combined are way better than a..... run of the mill Suburban? Now... All that aside, I would check all the TBS's for that rig. You can call the dealer and they just need the last 8 of the VIN's to check. Also, its a good idea to buy a $50 set of "wind deflectors" for the doors. Its so you can leave the windows down an inch, without letting rain it. Its VERY effective at clearing out moisture. This might sound kinda ghetto, but I'm old school when it comes to solving problems: You take a "wood" drill bit or a punch, and you hammer them through he floor of the car in the low spots. The water drips out over night. Going through a car wash or having people spray water on the roof works too when checking for leaks.. Sometimes the water leaks are really hard to find. Brake light gaskets, windshield seals, leaking heater cores, etc. You can also buy moisture testers for the carpet to track down the water issues. What ever you do - get the moisture level low asap. Mold doesn't go away. It just hides in the heater vents. The "wind deflectors" will not only lower the moisture level, but it will allow the mold spores to be blown away in the breeze that passes through your rig all night. If the rig goes to the dealer, ask them to leave all the windows down while its in the shop over night. You can also wet/dry vac the water out of those $85,000 carpets for $2 at a coin operated car wash.

My 2019 Yukon had what I was told to be a defective urethane seal on the windshield from the factory.  Water dripping in on passenger side glass and a-pillar.  Retards fixed the issue by removing and re-installing the glass but never took care of the SOAKED carpet and insulation.  I had to do that myself.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:15 AM, Supreme Pizza said:

I feel your pain. They should bring you cup cakes on a gold platter if you are willing to throw money at them for a vehicle. But if reliability is no longer a factor, why buy a brand new rig for 85 G's? They are "driving away" customers. You know how many 10+ year old rigs you could for that kinda scratch? Drive a different rig every day. That's 12 grand per rig, per day of the week. And if one or two or even five of them break down, you still have a rig, and a backup rig. A spunky offroad style Jeep, a Corvette of course, A fancy Mercedes, an old school Rolls Royce, a Lexus (for the kids), a BIG van, and a BIG truck. These would not be beaters, these are nice rides. Shop around, get a good ones. Or buy a 1965 Mustang for 10 G's, and drop another 75K into pimping it out with 44" spinners and 16 karat gold paint. They need to make customers happy, because it costs you like 5 grand of depreciation every 6 months. The customers should get something in return for all that money. From here on out, I would say: Just get two rigs... Get a soccer mom minivan with pink rims, a system, and lifetime AAA, and also get a blue convertible Dodge Viper. Those two rigs combined are way better than a..... run of the mill Suburban? Now... All that aside, I would check all the TBS's for that rig. You can call the dealer and they just need the last 8 of the VIN's to check. Also, its a good idea to buy a $50 set of "wind deflectors" for the doors. Its so you can leave the windows down an inch, without letting rain it. Its VERY effective at clearing out moisture. This might sound kinda ghetto, but I'm old school when it comes to solving problems: You take a "wood" drill bit or a punch, and you hammer them through he floor of the car in the low spots. The water drips out over night. Going through a car wash or having people spray water on the roof works too when checking for leaks.. Sometimes the water leaks are really hard to find. Brake light gaskets, windshield seals, leaking heater cores, etc. You can also buy moisture testers for the carpet to track down the water issues. What ever you do - get the moisture level low asap. Mold doesn't go away. It just hides in the heater vents. The "wind deflectors" will not only lower the moisture level, but it will allow the mold spores to be blown away in the breeze that passes through your rig all night. If the rig goes to the dealer, ask them to leave all the windows down while its in the shop over night. You can also wet/dry vac the water out of those $85,000 carpets for $2 at a coin operated car wash.

You'll never dry it out if all you do is vacuum it out from the top side.  Proof is in my experience!

• Like 1

Any luck with the fix for the water issue?  I have the same issue on a 21 Tahoe High Country.  I did find the Bulletin # 20-NA-219 around the correction to a improper installation of sunroof drain line.  May be of use.  Mine now has thrown multiple codes and worried they may be related.  

1 hour ago, Mjones14 said:

Any luck with the fix for the water issue?  I have the same issue on a 21 Tahoe High Country.  I did find the Bulletin # 20-NA-219 around the correction to a improper installation of sunroof drain line.  May be of use.  Mine now has thrown multiple codes and worried they may be related.  

Have you ever seen where the water is flowing?  Water dripping down the windshield or on the top of the dashboard by chance?