2020 AT4 - 2.5" BDS Lift & Fox Shocks

I have a 2020 AT4 Carbon Pro and added a BDS 2.5" lift kit with 2.5" Fox DSC coilover front shocks, Fox 2.0 rear shocks and 3" rear lift block (replacing factory block).  I had a 2019 AT4 Carbon Pro with Ready Lift SST 2" level kit and RL UCA's.   The look is similar, but the performance is in another league with the BDS kit.  Most significant improvement is the "angle" of the front axels - I have posted photos below of the RL level so you can see the angles at the CV boots, pretty extreme, versus the BDS lift kit with drop bracket, which leaves the axel   basically level - alllowing a lot more flexibility in articulation.  

Ride quailty is excellent, but it is stiffer than the stock Rancho momo tube shocks, which are quite plush.   The stock Ranchos are good for about 5 mph in any kind of offroad terrain, the BDS is much more compliant and offers far better offroad performance.  With the DSC adjustment of the front shocks I was able to smooth out the ride to be similar to stock, very comfortable, yet more composed and in control.  A litte more steering effort with the BDS as well - both on same wheel and tire package.

Only issue I ran into is I have 18" x 9'  Method NV wheels with 18 mm offset (5.75" backspacing) and they interfered with the BDS tie rod.  They worked ok with RL SST kit - but were very close to the upper UCA but worked.  In both cases the Method 18" x 9" NV's with -12 mm offset (4.5" of back spacing) would be a better choice.  I will switch to those once I am ready for larger tires, for now due to wheel issues I stayed with stock 275/65/18.  With RL SST kit there was maybe 5/8" of room to the tire, so very limited room for a larger tire, whiich 18mm offset wheels (stock 18's are 26mm).  The BDS kit has a ton of inborn room - a few inches or more, so no issues there.  With BDS and 18mm wheels slight rubbing when backing up at full lock. 

Here are some comparison photos.

2019 AT4 Carbon Pro - Ready Lift 2" Level

1195288232_DP1.thumb.JPG.0c75d35792b45a1ec4d5cde5206dfad4.JPG

2020 BDS 2.5" Lift Kit 

2112937791_2020AT4-TowMirrors.thumb.jpg.28bd71fee45efbeb03c187ca2d3ee0c2.jpg

2019 RL SST 2" Level - CV axel Angles - level ground 

IMG_8840.thumb.JPG.a07a57722c6527f062a5d102ac0e46c3.JPG

2020 BDS 2.5" lift Kit - CV axles "level" 

BDS.JPG

• Like 2

Finally somebody did it.  I was wondering about the BDS 2.5" Kit.  I'm sold after looking at your setup.  You didnt post any pics of the BDS without the trailer.  Does it still have rake?  I'd like to keep the rake.

Edited by James Morel
  • Like 1

Sweet. I had a bds 6in lift on my 07 for 10 years before all the fox goodies were involved and loved it. This kit looks killer. Been thinking about a level on my at4, but if I have the rxtra coin this would be a good alternative. What size tire are you running now and thinking about changing to?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will try to get a pic on level ground without the trailer - there is a slight rake, but not much.

I went with 2.5" (4.5" overall) instead of the 4" (6" overall) as I trailer a lot and wanted to keep decent mileage and good trailering characteristics.   Seemed like the sweet spot.

Currently running 275/65/18 stock Goodyear Duratrac wheels.  With 2.5" lift I think 33/12/5/18's are as big as BDS recommends on 18's - you can go to 35's with 20's, but I don't want 20's.

• Like 1

I’m running the 4” BDS on an SLT (not AT4). Love it. The axles and CV angles are awesome, rides like a dream. Going to upgrade to coil overs in January.

It sits almost identical to the truck above.

200666f97bf7c8a62431e183065d13a5.jpg
e99eb2f62f163772b371645e80d46d8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi,

I am wondering if you got the large skid plate up front to go on, without removing the air dam?   Shop that installed my lift said on AT4 had to remove all the front air dam stuff and they did not recommend as if done, it created a lot of wind noise, that customers were not happy with.  So they gave me the skid, not on the truck.  

Can you take a picture of your front skid plate underneath and show how it was attached by the bumper - I like the look so am interested if you figure out how to install and keep the front airdam?   

James 

Here is photo on level ground - no trailer - there is some rake.

Other Information 

Height - ground to top of shark fin on roof is 80.25" +/- and 88" to top of antenna with 275/65/18 tires - 2.5" BDS lift on top of 2" factory lift on AT4  - so figure you need 81" minimum to clear your gargage door or header

Truck Fox 2.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Supercup said:

James 

Other Information 

Height - ground to top of shark fin on roof is 80.25" +/- and 88" to top of antenna with 275/65/18 tires - 2.5" BDS lift on top of 2" factory lift on AT4  - so figure you need 81" minimum to clear your gargage door or header

Truck Fox 2.JPG

Your tires are just a tick over 32", right?

I am running stock-sized 275/60R20 (33") with the 2" GM Trailboss lift and 1.5" RC front leveling kit.  Top of sharkfin is currently 78.5" off the ground.

I'm wanting to do the 2.5" BDS like you and go up to a 35" tire.  So, if my math is correct, it should end up being 83" tall.  2.5" BDS + 2" height increase from going to 35's = 4.5" total height increase.

Edited by lapoolboy

Specs for my tire are 32.3" tall - A BFG K02 35 x 12.5 x 20 - 34.5" tall so if all else is equal - you would be 2.2" taller than mine - so 80.25 + 2.2 = 82.45" +/- tall - when comparing to mine as is.   

So closer to 4" of total height increase over where you are now (82.45 - 78.5) 

In the process of having the BDS 2.5” on my 20 AT4 right now. Went by the shop this morning to check it out. Looks killer!  I went with 35/12.5’s on 20x10’s. Having a little problem with the front tires hitting the edge of the front bumper at the moment. Shop guy is planning to raise the coil overs a bit to gain the clearance needed. Might need a slightly larger rear block as well.  Can’t wait to get my beast back!

On 10/1/2020 at 3:28 PM, Supercup said:

James 

Other Information 

Truck Fox 2.JPG

Looks great! Perfect amount of rake. I think this is the route I will be going for sure. 

On 10/3/2020 at 9:59 AM, JimZRyd said:

In the process of having the BDS 2.5” on my 20 AT4 right now. Went by the shop this morning to check it out. Looks killer!  I went with 35/12.5’s on 20x10’s. Having a little problem with the front tires hitting the edge of the front bumper at the moment. Shop guy is planning to raise the coil overs a bit to gain the clearance needed. Might need a slightly larger rear block as well.  Can’t wait to get my beast back!

Post pics please! Would love to see this.