2015 - 2018 Silverado and Sierra Security Flaw, Stolen Truck

1 minute ago, rav3 said:

Ok, that makes sense. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that at hand, so will need look at other options. I guess you were aware of the thefts and did this to help keep it safe?

Yeah, It being right down the street, I put plans in motion same day I saw the original articles on the 5pm news.

As well, I find it funny that even back then, Onstar was "looking into it" pff, they dont care, or else they would have a resolution by now. It is a bit disheartening

4 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

Image 1:https://imgur.com/cyrfubL

Image 2: https://imgur.com/vYxWQvn

Again, As you will obviously see, I am no cad designer or anything. I just went by thought and we made something out of it.

Well, that should work very good. Can you imagine the look on their face when they open the hood & see that box??

1 minute ago, rav3 said:

Well, that should work very good. Can you imagine the look on their face when they open the hood & see that box??

I'd love to see that (honestly wouldnt love them breaking into my vehicles again but...). I'd also love to see them get caught or....something else, keep this from happening.

1 hour ago, Charles P. said:

I'd love to see that (honestly wouldnt love them breaking into my vehicles again but...). I'd also love to see them get caught or....something else, keep this from happening.

I just went out & checked my ECU. From what I can see, the ECU is only held into the plastic holder by maybe 4 plastic snaps; 2 top & I assume 2 below. The plastic holder is mounted under the spare battery tray. It would be pretty easy (if you knew what you were doing) to just undo the (3) connectors & pop the ECU out. Man, that's crazy. Making a steel box to surround the ECU & plastic bracket and the (3) connectors would not be an easy job. My hat is off to you for coming up with your steel box solution.

Now you have my mind going on some kind of retainer, not to make it bullet proof, but to make it more difficult to get at. Maybe some type of strap that goes over the (3) connectors & the plastic holder bracket. I'm thinking of something like metal zip ties or some other metal surrounding strap. Just thinking out loud.

With all the aluminum heat sink fins on the ECU, enclosing the unit might be asking for an over heating issue. Just sayin......

20201020_173445.jpg

20201020_173509.jpg

20201020_173525.jpg

Edited by rav3

4 hours ago, rav3 said:

Has anyone installed a KILL switch... see video

Kill switch

My kill switch does exactly that, but rather, is in line with the harness. that way, they cant just quickly change the fuse. Dont ask me how I did it, because I didnt. Had a reputable shop near me do it.

7 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

My kill switch does exactly that, but rather, is in line with the harness. that way, they cant just quickly change the fuse. Dont ask me how I did it, because I didnt. Had a reputable shop near me do it.

I was thinking the same thing as well. Better concealment and maybe even some type of bracket to keep from popping the cover off the fuse panel. Looks like I have another mod to do to my truck.. :D

Just now, jpinoy said:

I was thinking the same thing as well. Better concealment and maybe even some type of bracket to keep from popping the cover off the fuse panel. Looks like I have another mod to do to my truck.. :D

Ill see if the shop has the write up for the K/S, mine did not include the fuse box at all, rather, the wiring coming out. They did it pretty close to a split off point or something...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

Ill see if the shop has the write up for the K/S, mine did not include the fuse box at all, rather, the wiring coming out. They did it pretty close to a split off point or something...

Ok, I've seen some where they go from the the bottom of the box, as long as you know which wire/connector to tap into. It makes sense as you would kill connection all together to the fuse slot. 

On 10/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, rav3 said:

Here's video on how to get to the actual connector wires so you could di the disabler there. Fuse #34 (ECU ignition) would be a good start.

Fuse block removal

Nice, thanks! A lot easier than I thought and you can pretty much match up the pins(from the fuse on the other side) coming down to the wires you will need to splice into. 

Edited by jpinoy