2015 - 2018 Silverado and Sierra Security Flaw, Stolen Truck

usually it begins with being targeted by the employees who work at your local dealership.. once they know where you live via paperwork in the glove box and information on the dealership computer system. your done.. order a key or simply copy your key while they are doing the order laybor on the car.. cant trust anyone not even the factory employees

Edited by flyingfool

• 3 weeks later...

easier way than working w/ bad employee

at least for keyfob cars.....put your keys in a faraday bag to thwart that plan of attack  ?

other options:

https://www.ravelco.com/product.html
https://jimmijammer.com/ (doesnt look like they have designed anything specific for the K2xx platform)

but you can see what they have for prior models... might even work on k2xx for some of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
What's a cable lock for the hood? Can you post a link?
Sorry, just saw this. I was just brainstorming. I revisited now because I heard of another theft. That ravelco looks great, but its more than my deductible. A kill switch in a console safe/locker down type location was my original plan. Either way you lose remote start which is not a desirable option for me. It has to be limiting easy ecu access. Im going to look at using a heavy duty bike lock for hood or ecu today (and maybe even get in some day drinkin)...

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I just went out & checked my ECU. From what I can see, the ECU is only held into the plastic holder by maybe 4 plastic snaps; 2 top & I assume 2 below. The plastic holder is mounted under the spare battery tray. It would be pretty easy (if you knew what you were doing) to just undo the (3) connectors & pop the ECU out. Man, that's crazy. Making a steel box to surround the ECU & plastic bracket and the (3) connectors would not be an easy job. My hat is off to you for coming up with your steel box solution.
Now you have my mind going on some kind of retainer, not to make it bullet proof, but to make it more difficult to get at. Maybe some type of strap that goes over the (3) connectors & the plastic holder bracket. I'm thinking of something like metal zip ties or some other metal surrounding strap. Just thinking out loud.

With all the aluminum heat sink fins on the ECU, enclosing the unit might be asking for an over heating issue. Just sayin......

20201020_173445.thumb.jpg.5245e6d72e1b4a42bfadb9c9632f0cdc.jpg
20201020_173509.thumb.jpg.bb4a26354acc4d8feb2f094721f013f2.jpg
20201020_173525.thumb.jpg.ea481f78b4ec2253f2e7269de2f7d476.jpg
Any luck?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I just went out & checked my ECU. From what I can see, the ECU is only held into the plastic holder by maybe 4 plastic snaps; 2 top & I assume 2 below. The plastic holder is mounted under the spare battery tray. It would be pretty easy (if you knew what you were doing) to just undo the (3) connectors & pop the ECU out. Man, that's crazy. Making a steel box to surround the ECU & plastic bracket and the (3) connectors would not be an easy job. My hat is off to you for coming up with your steel box solution.
Now you have my mind going on some kind of retainer, not to make it bullet proof, but to make it more difficult to get at. Maybe some type of strap that goes over the (3) connectors & the plastic holder bracket. I'm thinking of something like metal zip ties or some other metal surrounding strap. Just thinking out loud.

With all the aluminum heat sink fins on the ECU, enclosing the unit might be asking for an over heating issue. Just sayin......

20201020_173445.thumb.jpg.5245e6d72e1b4a42bfadb9c9632f0cdc.jpg
20201020_173509.thumb.jpg.bb4a26354acc4d8feb2f094721f013f2.jpg
20201020_173525.thumb.jpg.ea481f78b4ec2253f2e7269de2f7d476.jpg
Wait, thats the ecu? Thought it was the big one over the wheel well. If thats the case you may be able to put a metal overhang over it screwed to the 2nd battery holder with special screws like those flatheads that are tighten only (seen often around bathroom stalls).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, UnicornFarts88 said:

My 2020 gmc elevation was stolen last night no broken glass and I have onstar! They still can’t find my vehicles location;( my first truck I worked so hard to get gone ! Grrr if I knew this was a issue I would have never paid for onstar in the first place 

Seems the people that stole your truck knew how disable On-Star.
Damn I hope you can get it back undamaged.
Had an incident in my area where a police car was stolen and On Star tracked it.
"The trooper notified police, who were able to use his OnStar account to track the stolen Camaro’s position heading south on the Florida Turnpike, records show. The Marion County Sheriff’s Office helicopter was able to find the Camaro — as multiple police agencies followed it — and tracked the car into Orange County, police said."
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/08/18/man-on-probation-accused-of-carjacking-off-duty-fhp-trooper-ocala-police-say/
I still like On Star for many functions and I hope you can find your truck soon!

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UnicornFarts88 said:

My 2020 gmc elevation was stolen last night no broken glass and I have onstar! They still can’t find my vehicles location;( my first truck I worked so hard to get gone ! Grrr if I knew this was a issue I would have never paid for onstar in the first place 

Welcome to the site, do like your site name🤣😂

Sorry to hear about your truck, but what On Star plan do you have? Not all will track the truck, which is not good when something like this happens, and it is how you find out your plan was not so great🤔

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

8/2/2021, Had a 2016 Silverado LTZ that was stolen in broad daylight in the parking lot of the residence inn in Dallas, TX. I couldn't believe it until I saw the video with my own eyes how they got into the truck popped the hood and drove off. I called GMC customer service and asked if this security issue had been addressed before I buy another one of their products. I got no call back or email. its been a couple of weeks since contacting them directly. I was a FORD guy until I bought the Silverado and was converted. I only had the truck for 5 months! Now, I am thinking of going back to ford...

• Sad 1