2015 - 2018 Silverado and Sierra Security Flaw, Stolen Truck

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

what about LoJack? 

When Lojack was a thing the thieves would grab a vehicle and just move it a short distance away. If the vehicle was still there a day or two later it was GTG.

Then people thought "The Club" was a theft deterrent until they realized thieves take only mere seconds to hacksaw through the steering wheel. Plus now you have given them a makeshift weapon to be used against you.

Best not to leave items or personally identifiable information in any unattended vehicle. Chances are excellent if they have your vehicle they have all your info and means to access a garage door or two at the very least.

They can clean someone out in a couple of hours and no ones the wiser, until it's much too late.

Edited by It's Tim

Come on guys. As much brain trust on this forum, surely one has a bright idea to "slow down the stealing process". 

Anyone know how they open the door?

ECU is located under the hood on drivers side, just below the "add'l battery" spot, with (3) connectors. I assume they only remove one of the connectors to allow starting. Anyone know which one?

I saw on youtube where a company makes a Hood Lock for a Jeep. Wonder if anyone knows of one for our Silverado's?

Jeep hood lock add-on.

Or some way to disable the hood release under the steering wheel. Would be cool to disable the lever inside & add an electrically actuated pull relay actuator. Just thinking out load. If they couldn't open the hood they couldn't get to the ECU.

Sort of like adding a trunk release solenoid but to the hood cable.

trunk release unit

I guess the other option is HAVE GOOD INSURANCE! But I love the truck that I have.

Edited by rav3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rav3 said:

Come on guys. As much brain trust on this forum, surely one has a bright idea to "slow down the stealing process". 

Anyone know how they open the door?

ECU is located under the hood on drivers side, just below the "add'l battery" spot, with (3) connectors. I assume they only remove one of the connectors to allow starting. Anyone know which one?

I saw on youtube where a company makes a Hood Lock for a Jeep. Wonder if anyone knows of one for our Silverado's?

Jeep hood lock add-on.

Or some way to disable the hood release under the steering wheel. Would be cool to disable the lever inside & add an electrically actuated pull relay actuator. Just thinking out load. If they couldn't open the hood they couldn't get to the ECU.

Sort of like adding a trunk release solenoid but to the hood cable.

trunk release unit

I guess the other option is HAVE GOOD INSURANCE! But I love the truck that I have.

I feel like my black boxing setup pretty much keeps it from happening.

That is, If you want to go that route.

6 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

I feel like my black boxing setup pretty much keeps it from happening.

That is, If you want to go that route.

Can you post some pics of it?

3 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Can you post some pics of it?

Im not going to post pics as im paranoid as it is (living where this is happening) But I will message you some simple (very rough) drawings I did to plan it out.

Let me find them. After that, I just went by eye.

Amazon has a 2 pack of tire boots for $75, one on each axle should even prevent tow truck haul offs, but a major PITA to deal with on a daily basis. I would think that a hidden switch to the fuel pump relay would be much easier to work with on that daily basis, but that wouldn't prevent a tow truck hauling it off to a chop shop.

10 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

Im not going to post pics as im paranoid as it is (living where this is happening) But I will message you some simple (very rough) drawings I did to plan it out.

Let me find them. After that, I just went by eye.

Can you post a link on where you got the box?

This happened in my garage at work with an 18 ltz. Its both the k2 trucks and suvs. I think they actually pop the hood first from underneith, change ecu, then pull onstar. I thought the push button start ones were targeted more as well whether it is part of the security flaw, or those trucks have better parts. I was going to put in a kill switch or do a cable lock to the hood...

1 minute ago, Texas Daddy said:

This happened in my garage at work with an 18 ltz. Its both the k2 trucks and suvs. I think they actually pop the hood first from underneith, change ecu, then pull onstar. I thought the push button start ones were targeted more as well whether it is part of the security flaw, or those trucks have better parts. I was going to put in a kill switch or do a cable lock to the hood...

What's a cable lock for the hood? Can you post a link?

3 minutes ago, Charles P. said:

I built the box. Buddies dad owns a metal fab shop.

Does good work.

Ok, that makes sense. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that at hand, so will need look at other options. I guess you were aware of the thefts and did this to help keep it safe?