Has anyone done this GM vacuum pump delete?

rav3

I just ran across this YouTube video showing how to do the GM/Silverado vacuum pump delete and thought it was intersecting, as I have heard of these pumps going bad & causing hard braking. I didn't know GM sold a "delete kit". Also watched this video where the dealer charges $1200to $1500 to replace the pump Brake vacuum cost & recall here. I found the GM delete kit here for $2.93+ shipping. GM 11546665 delete kit.  You would also need to get an AFM delete, maybe a Range AFM delete device, which I already bought used for $125 which was the latest version 9.0 and is the latest they have available I'd like to hear some forum feedback/thoughts on this.

Vacuum pump delete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Try this thread for more info on your question:

Vacuum Pump Delete - Electric Replacmenent

By 300 Blackout, October 10, 2018 in 2014 - 2019 Silverado & Sierra

Jim...I don't see a link to this thread. I tried a search on here but it came back empty. For what it's worth, I'n not looking at replacing the mechanical pump with an electric one. The link in my post shows a complete DELTE. 

6 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Jim...I don't see a link to this thread. I tried a search on here but it came back empty. For what it's worth, I'n not looking at replacing the mechanical pump with an electric one. The link in my post shows a complete DELTE. 

Copy this, even with the misspelled word, then go to the internet, paste it, the thread comes up under GM-Trucks.com. The search function on the site is pretty bad.

Vacuum Pump Delete - Electric Replacmenent

It talks about deleting the pump, not all replace with the electric version, that was the just original OP's question.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The replacement pump is under $150 and requires one inexpensive tool to get the belt on an off and some of your time. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-12696313?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-yvr9PO7AIVjsDACh0Ycw3XEAQYASABEgLgxfD_BwE

Yep, I watched the video where it was done.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Had mine replaced recently under recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I purchased my '17 Silverado in late Feb. of this year 2020. Since it was a Certified used truck, they did all outstanding recalls. I have records where they preformed the recall on 10/09/2019. " 9104605-N1922684490-Electronic Brake Control Module Reprogramed with STS". But from what I understand, they didn't replace anything mechanical. They did a software update that some how helps with the brake assist. I really don't know what this does to be honest. So....I assume that the issue with the mechanical pump wearing out/failing does still exist. That's why I was wondering about when I posted the original post, where you do an actual delete of the mechanical pump. But, as mentioned, you will need to "turn off" AFM via a external device. (i.e. Ranger AFM device)

Me too. I purchased my '17 Silverado in late Feb. of this year 2020. Since it was a Certified used truck, they did all outstanding recalls. I have records where they preformed the recall on 10/09/2019. " 9104605-N1922684490-Electronic Brake Control Module Reprogramed with STS". But from what I understand, they didn't replace anything mechanical. They did a software update that some how helps with the brake assist. I really don't know what this does to be honest. So....I assume that the issue with the mechanical pump wearing out/failing does still exist. That's why I was wondering about when I posted the original post, where you do an actual delete of the mechanical pump. But, as mentioned, you will need to "turn off" AFM via a external device. (i.e. Ranger AFM device)

My Vacuum pump was completely replaced and software updated. I’m running the SuperChips F5 programmer, super easy to use and also adjusts tire size, throttle boost, turns off AFM, Speed limiter and lots more.

• Like 1

These vacuum pump failures are first and foremost a cleanliness issue. It uses oil to seal, draw the vacuum, and lubricate. The inlet screen is exceedingly fine. The oil must be free of varnish and gum and well filtered. So far, 130,000 miles everything works as designed. This is also true of the AFM system. FYI. 

That Electronic Brake Control Module Reprogramed with STS uses the ABS system to supplement a failing booster pump.

They just have to get past 150K miles. 

• Like 2

These vacuum pump failures are first and foremost a cleanliness issue. It uses oil to seal, draw the vacuum, and lubricate. The inlet screen is exceedingly fine. The oil must be free of varnish and gum and well filtered. So far, 130,000 miles everything works as designed. This is also true of the AFM system. FYI. 

That Electronic Brake Control Module Reprogramed with STS uses the ABS system to supplement a failing booster pump.

They just have to get past 150K miles. 

No wonder mine didn’t fail, just replaced under the recall. Thanks to all the cheap asses that did extended OCI’s on budget Walmart/Amazon and cheaper oils, I got a free part replaced, woohoo lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

No wonder mine didn’t fail, just replaced under the recall. Thanks to all the cheap asses that did extended OCI’s on budget Walmart/Amazon and cheaper oils, I got a free part replaced, woohoo lol

I looked into it but the local dealer would only replace ones that had failed. I am told besides the obvious physical differences in the two the inlet screen size has been about doubled. There is a fix for ya. :)  

• Like 1

I looked into it but the local dealer would only replace ones that had failed. I am told besides the obvious physical differences in the two the inlet screen size has been about doubled. There is a fix for ya. [emoji4]  

You get stuff done when you’re nice and treat service writers like you want to be treated yourself. All I did was say, I’m here for the recall and would like to pick it up ASAP, they said yes sir and a couple hours later, done. The dealership knows me as the Amsoil guy cause everything maintenance wise is changed with Amsoil and primarily the reason I’ve had zero issues from anything requiring use of the engine oil for part reliability. You get what you put into something.....

I would think if was strictly an oil change issue they would lower change intervals per manufacturer. And charge people for the part who didn’t follow that interval. There’s more to it.

I would think if was strictly an oil change issue they would lower change intervals per manufacturer. And charge people for the part who didn’t follow that interval. There’s more to it.

Then they’d be admitting to lots more oil related design screwups, wouldn’t you agree?

When it’s all said and done, it’s all about greed!