GM making a mistake or not

only issue GM is going to have with EV's is... cold climate sales, since lithium batteries loose over 50% of their performance when cold, which means you need to heat the batteries with the cars own battery thus reducing efficiency below Gas.

then there is the whole climate control thing, you ev owners are polluting more by charging your ev from the power station instead of using solar panels on your house, A grid of panels to charge the car with a battery storage bank will cost you over $80,000  and require a weekly or monthly  maintnance. and if your not living in the sun belt your power absorbsion from sunshine is less efficient again

to sum it all up , ev's are a small niche and cant replace fuel energy.  unless the US gov and millitary releases the patents and tech on old man Tesla's wirelesss power transmission device, ev's are a gimmick for yuppies and city dwellers

Edited by flyingfool

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

only issue GM is going to have with EV's is... cold climate sales, since lithium batteries loose over 50% of their performance when cold, which means you need to heat the batteries with the cars own battery thus reducing efficiency below Gas.

then there is the whole climate control thing, you ev owners are polluting more by charging your ev from the power station instead of using solar panels on your house, A grid of panels to charge the car with a battery storage bank will cost you over $80,000  and require a weekly or monthly  maintnance. and if your not living in the sun belt your power absorbsion from sunshine is less efficient again

to sum it all up , ev's are a small niche and cant replace fuel energy.  unless the US gov and millitary releases the patents and tech on old man Tesla's wirelesss power transmission device, ev's are a gimmick for yuppies and city dwellers

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijpr/2012/207532/

By 2010 the figure was 83.6%. The US population is increasingly and overwhelmingly concentrated in metropolitan areas. More than 90 percent of the country’s entire population growth in the last decade occurred within MSAs.

This report goes on to say an additional 10% of the population lives in mirocurban defined as cities between 10 and 50K. SO nearly all the US population now lives in a city!!! That is some sad news kiddo's. 

Within the city is where most of the USA lives now. The new generation doesn't even want to drive nor leave their 20 mile circle. I don't know what to make of this. Long distance ability only matters to the OEM if the people buying are long distance drivers. Am I missing something? 

They don't make the connection between the hamburger and a cow so how do the make the jump from lithium to child labor and the carbon footprint to mine it? They don't care where the battery is junked. Out of sight is out of mind. 

• Like 3

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-going-all-electric-will-ditch-gas-diesel-powered-cars-n806806

Read This!  I may have time for one more Chevy truck in my life! Although they don't come out and say it I would estimate that by 2030 you won't be able to buy a gas or diesel truck! Not new anyways!

GM likely in there typically overly optimistic time frame are saying they will have 20 models by 2023. I mean they can't even tell you when you will be able current model Silverado with the Multi pro tailgate.

They always talk the talk at press conferences and then you never see a model to market when they say it will happen. Maybe when they deliver the new electric truck in stead of flying it in with a helicopter they will have the Jetsens fly it in for us! 

Maybe I have the covid depression but I am really sick of the way everything as we know it is going down the drain.

Edited by Likarok

1 hour ago, Likarok said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-going-all-electric-will-ditch-gas-diesel-powered-cars-n806806

Read This!  I may have time for one more Chevy truck in my life! Although they don't come out and say it I would estimate that by 2030 you won't be able to buy a gas or diesel truck! Not new anyways!

Maybe I have the covid depression but I am really sick of the way everything as we know it is going down the drain.

All the more reason to make what you have last forever. 

Question boyz and girlz. What do you think ''Big Oil's' response to this will be? 

Taking a typical barrel of crude oil, 50% is used as gasoline, 40% as diesel fuel, heating oil, jet fuel, and kerosene, and 10% as residual fuel oil. That last one, “residual fuel oil,” is not the same as motor oil.Jan 20, 2020

Edited by Grumpy Bear

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijpr/2012/207532/

By 2010 the figure was 83.6%. The US population is increasingly and overwhelmingly concentrated in metropolitan areas. More than 90 percent of the country’s entire population growth in the last decade occurred within MSAs.

This report goes on to say an additional 10% of the population lives in mirocurban defined as cities between 10 and 50K. SO nearly all the US population now lives in a city!!! That is some sad news kiddo's. 

Within the city is where most of the USA lives now. The new generation doesn't even want to drive nor leave their 20 mile circle. I don't know what to make of this. Long distance ability only matters to the OEM if the people buying are long distance drivers. Am I missing something? 

They don't make the connection between the hamburger and a cow so how do the make the jump from lithium to child labor and the carbon footprint to mine it? They don't care where the battery is junked. Out of sight is out of mind. 

after 2019 covid pandemic, it seems everyone left the city who could afford too, and bought homes in rural areas for back up plans

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So in about 10 years are we going to be like Mad Max stealing gasoline trucks and fighting with each other over gas to run our trucks? hahaha

I guess agriculture and industry will still use fossil fuels! I have not heard of John Deere coming out with an electric combine or tractor. 

15 minutes ago, Likarok said:

So in about 10 years are we going to be like Mad Max stealing gasoline trucks and fighting with each other over gas to run our trucks? hahaha

I guess agriculture and industry will still use fossil fuels! I have not heard of John Deere coming out with an electric combine or tractor. 

But you did hear of the all Electric Corvette SUV...right?

Total destruction is the company goal?

:loser: 

1 hour ago, Likarok said:

Bill Gates new Goal for the next 10 years is to buy up all farm lands and breed his own grains, and have EV robots harvest it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, flyingfool said:

Bill Gates new Goal for the next 10 years is to buy up all farm lands and breed his own grains, and have EV robots harvest it.

When will he have time to do that with all the time he puts in spouting vaccine plans for the world!

With the covid and blue city lock downs people are fleeing the cities. I have kids in real estate business in the country is booming. Because of that the mayors will raise city taxes to fill the void and more fleeing will result. Add you can work from home cities population will deflate. On the electric vehicle front. Most kids don’t care as we did about automobiles. Reasonable transportation gas or eclectic will be sought after. Automobiles are losing the expression of freedom like in my day. And associating expression. They care more about the latest gaming devices. My kids and grandkids grew up around hot rods. The conversation among them usually focuses around gaming. Not 1/4 mile times and horsepower like the old days. Once electric gets to 400 miles for a charge and easy charge game on. All it will take is quick change battery stations like gas. Or once a day charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO it has nothing to do with the environment and all to do with the transfer of wealth from the oil companies to the utility companies.  Once that happens they (gov't) can raise the rates to ration consumption and control your freedoms.   Would not be surprised to learn the politicians have a vested interest in the big utility companies like many did with the ethanol industry. 

2 hours ago, martha3065 said:

Well I don't know of to many fields that have charging stations in them. hahaha Unless they can go 16 hr day on a charge not to many are going to be sold. I never knew they were going this far. Mostly for cooperate image I suspect.

49 minutes ago, elcamino said:

IMO it has nothing to do with the environment and all to do with the transfer of wealth from the oil companies to the utility companies.  Once that happens they (gov't) can raise the rates to ration consumption and control your freedoms.   Would not be surprised to learn the politicians have a vested interest in the big utility companies like many did with the ethanol industry. 

Most of the power companies in western Canada are owned now by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett). And because he also owns Burlington Northern he is covering his bets both ways. BN carries a lot of Alberta oil from Canada border to refineries in US.

Edited by Likarok