Possible Buyback?

Hello, 

I’d like to hear others opinions on this. So about 2 months ago I purchased a new 2020 Sierra 1500 with the 3.0 duramax. The day I got home, I gave it a wash and noticed issues instantly. I took pictures the same day with the dates on each picture to ensure that they were the day I took delivery.
Issues include:

1) all four doors are misaligned, the two front doors stick out past the body lines and I can see it terribly when looking out my mirrors. Rear door gaps go from large at the top, to hair thin at the bottom, almost looks like it may hit the cab it’s so close.

2).The front fender has a paint blemish within the paint, some kind of particles.

3) the driver side door and driver side rear door have weird paint marks and lines, almost as if it could have been repainted at the factory? 
4)  it was already in the shop for a transmission issue which may have been resolved.

5) It was in the shop once for not starting, went into engine power reduced mode and wouldn’t restart for an hour, then started and had check engine light on. Dealer couldn’t diagnose, and now a month later it did the same thing and left me in a parking lot in middle of the night, and now I’m afraid it just won’t start when I need it to be reliable. 

all of these issues have been encountered within the past 2 months/3k miles. I already am speaking with a rep from GM with an open case (getting a response is terribly difficult), and the dealer basically said there is no way the doors can be fixed and if they tried to adjust it, then other issues would arise. I took it to the dealer I bought it from, they basically refused to do any body adjustments, and a local dealer tried to adjust and barely made a difference as well. So this is 2 repair attempts just on that part, I took it to a local body shop on my own and they gave me an opinion as well, they said they could attempt but no way it would get to how it should. 3 opinions, basically no resolution, but with lemon law I assume I would need a third attempt?

do I have the right to get a buyback with this kind of situation? It’s a $55,000 truck, it is a lease, but I don’t want to keep paying for a truck that makes me want to turn my head in disappointment every time I look at it. GMC is “built for quality” when I should of just stuck with the cheaper Silverado.

A3EC52F9-9C99-42E4-A835-B35126BA87A8.jpeg

Edited by Ajt116

No matter how old we are (I'm 61) sometimes in the excitement of buying a new truck we fail to look it over closely before we sign the dotted line. My $47,000 2020 Silverado was made in Mexico (So much for buying American !). Fitment is not perfect, but I understand that being mass produced it's as close as it will be. 

You rolled the dice buying a first year production vehicle. Welcome to the real world of Beta Testers. Computer simulators also go so far and no proving ground provide real world situations perfectly.

One of the papers you are forced to sign is an arbitration agreement. Refuse to sign and it's game over. The purchase will not take place. Other fine print in some states is that the exact same reason for breakdown must be documented 3 or more times to qualify for lemon laws. My 2018 was towed 3 times for the exact same no start condition but threw different codes all three times and was written up three different ways.

It turned out to be the ECM which was throwing random codes as it died a slow death. The truck was out of service for 3.5 weeks total. I took the hit and traded it for my 2020 while the 2018 was down for the third time. Third strike I was out of it.

My opinion is that the designers are way ahead of the dealers ability to service these electronic time bombs. The diagnostic equipment costs too much and/or is not available, dealerships can't afford to train enough technicians once the equipment is purchased, and GM is still pissed that they lost the ability to charge us all a monthly computer licensing fee in court and is holding out on help for dealerships. Think about the fact that your dealer has to contact GM to get a code to program the ECM if you add factory fog lights to your truck. How ridiculous is that ?

So why did I buy another GM product ? The others aren't much better and at least this way I get something back from the billions we spent keeping GM alive with the government bailout. 

My third issue with the 2018 also coincided with the Covid shutdowns and lack of inventory across the brands and diagnosis and surgery for Prostate Cancer. I had bigger issues than worrying about whether the 2018 was going to be fixed or not. I am hoping the 2020 gets me through radiation treatments that last through early January.

In the meantime I am watching out for a mid 80's to 90's C1500 or Ford Bronco. If I start having issues with the 2020 Silverado, it too will become someone else's problem. I'll trade car payments for gas payments and have something that can be repaired in my driveway.

Each state is different however I think the basic premise of the lemon law is the vehicle must have a "significant" issue that cant be repaired. I am not sure paint blemishes and misaligned doors would qualify but a braking issue or steering or another safety defect would certainly qualify.

• 2 months later...

Look up the Lemon Law in your state and look for a Lemon Law attorney. Most will take the case and get paid at the end through the settlement. Do not deal with "no" customer service GM rep. Keep good notes and all documentation in the form of your Dealer work orders. I would concentrate on the no start issue. I went through this in the state of Florida. Have patience as this will not happen over night, keep after them, do not give up, and you should succeed . Good luck

• 4 months later...

Did you ever get the issue figured out about your truck not starting with the reduced engine power flashing? I just had the same issue strand me for a half hour and the check engine light stayed on after finally starting. Gonna try to get it checked out but just serviced days ago. 

• 1 month later...

Take a look at the 2020 and 2021 1500 silverados. There are a lot of trucks out there with a drastic noticable difference in alignment on usually the drivers side. You will find the bed of the truck driver side is 1/4 to 3/4 inches higher than the cab. It also may stick out on one side more than the other between the bed and the cab. This is due to miss alignment at the factory. I have it on my 2021 1500 and i have seen it on several others. It truly is a manufacture error. I want to know if anyone has gotten it corrected by GM? I took mine to the dealer and they said it is within manufacture specs. HELP....

On 7/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, tgivanoff said:

Take a look at the 2020 and 2021 1500 silverados. There are a lot of trucks out there with a drastic noticable difference in alignment on usually the drivers side. You will find the bed of the truck driver side is 1/4 to 3/4 inches higher than the cab. It also may stick out on one side more than the other between the bed and the cab. This is due to miss alignment at the factory. I have it on my 2021 1500 and i have seen it on several others. It truly is a manufacture error. I want to know if anyone has gotten it corrected by GM? I took mine to the dealer and they said it is within manufacture specs. HELP....

GM has a TSB on this, and it applies worldwide.  Basically, they tell the dealer to order some shim washers and loctite from Fastenal and install on the left side to lift the cab and correct alignment.