In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I keep hearing cases need to be trimmed regardless of pistol or rifle but personally I have yet to trim any pistol cases.  If I was doing extreme accuracy competitions or something maybe but in the however many tens of thousands of reloads myself and 2 friends have done we have yet to trim pistol cases.  Just the way I was taught.  Over the years some people have found it shocking that I don't trim but again having had zero problems and no need for extreme accuracy I don't bother.  My handloads have more consistent FPS vs factory loadings, even defensive loadings.  If you want to trim feel free though.  Might end up trying to trim 9mm cases but I think it's my cast projectiles that are causing in flight instability seeing as how I didn't have problems with any other projectile I've used over the years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HP38 and W231 would be prime candidates for 9mm powder. I was, in my reloading days, a die hard Hodgdon Universal Clays guy for .40 and 9mm. But I'd use either of those 2 powders you named. Find th

Not even any of those calibers available here anymore. Only pistol caliber I’ve seen lately is .32 auto. And nobody needs that.    .40 was the last to run dry here. Almost thought of buying som

Loading for range / general purpose ammo, the Hornady book works as well as any because it has listings for the plain old FMJs in any caliber. Self defense and hunting loads are another story for sure

Posted Images

You will hear about trimming both ways. I never trimmed, then I got into some competitive shooting, and some said to trim, and some said no real need to. So I did 500 none trimmed and 500 trimmed to exact specs. I ended up not shooting any more or any less accurate. Gave 100 of my none trimmed to a friend that shoots competitive and he shot no better or worse with my none trimmed and his trimmed loads. This is just like the chasing the lands, full length size everytime, bump the shoulder, or neck size only arguments that go on all the time.When it comes down to it, whatever helps with accuracy and what a person is comfortable with is the way they should do it. 

I’ve never trimmed .380, 9mm or 45 ACP brass and have never known anyone else who does. Some guys do trim revolver brass but I have been getting along fine without.

Granted, I’m loading mainly range ammo and we can burn through a ton of it on a trip so there is a time consideration involved here. With no trimming there is also no need to de-burr and that really saves a ton of effort and time.

Everyone can do it their way. I only know I don’t have any problems and can load a bunch in a short amount of time.

• Like 1

Holy crap! You were right with finding primers. I can’t find them anywhere online. People are selling them on gunbroker for double or triple the price. That’s the only place I could find them. I’m going to check some local gun shops to see if they may have. Wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget when buying powder/primers online you pay a hazmat fee ($20?) on top of the regular shipping fee.  Used to be 70lbs was the max per order.  My friends and I would all buy together if we ended up buying online.  Used to go to the gun shows and buy supplies too until they got too commercialized and annoying, not to mention the increase in admission fee.

• Like 1

Midway sometimes runs free hazmat promos, always a good time to load up. Of course there’s nothing to buy from them at the moment anyway.

As Bash said, your best bet at this point is to keep an eye out at local stores and hope to get lucky. Bass Pro and Cabela’s do sell primers in addition to the smaller shops. Think the main hang up is that the ammo makers are taking up all the primers for production.

I’ve been putting my time in at the places that don’t gouge. Primers have so far eluded me, but I am grabbing little things here and there. Found some M855 at pre-Covid prices yesterday. It’s out there folks.

• Like 2

Whats going on with the ammo and supplies also shows in my opinion to not just go with the norm, or diversify when owning firearms. Every store I have gone into in a few different cities I still see 10mm, 40, 44, and 357sig on shelves, but the stuff I consider normal is what is all gone.
On another note I was lucky enough today to come across a brick of magnum pistol primers just sitting on the shelf at the hardware store. Then of course friends hit me up and gave them a 100 each.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Not even any of those calibers available here anymore. Only pistol caliber I’ve seen lately is .32 auto. And nobody needs that. 

.40 was the last to run dry here. Almost thought of buying some and a police trade-in Glock 22 or 23 to match. Kinda happy I avoided that trap because I would have also bought the .357 SIG and 9mm conversion barrels, upgraded sights, etc etc. Before you know it, the cheap surplus gun becomes just another expensive toy to hide from the wife.

• Like 2

I was looking at a Glock 30 gen 4, would get the 10mm conversion and keep it from the wife. I decided to hold off as well. I found lee 9mm dies for a good price. I believe have everything I need to reload 9 and 45 now except primers. Fortunately, there’s still ammo by me just expensive. I’m gonna check for primers locally once I stop working soo much. Thinking of loading up on .22 since it’s still cheap and plentiful and I don’t care what anyone says it still does the job......Eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1