Anyone install LED's behind the grille?

I'm considering adding an additional LED light, either a light bar or additional LED driving lights.  It looks like the only spot would be behind the grille, I really don't want to add a bull bar or anything like that.  HAs anyone added any yet?

So I just discovered my truck has active aero shutters.  I don't think behind the grille LED's will work and I don't see any other option other than a bull bar of some sort for mounting them.  

29 minutes ago, CRApex said:

So I just discovered my truck has active aero shutters.  I don't think behind the grille LED's will work and I don't see any other option other than a bull bar of some sort for mounting them.  

There’s enough space between the aero shutters and grille to mount a light bar. You can also easily just remove one or two of the blinds if they don’t clear. 

5 minutes ago, needfulgolfer said:

There’s enough space between the aero shutters and grille to mount a light bar. You can also easily just remove one or two of the blinds if they don’t clear. 

I'll take a closer look.  I was just concerned it would interfere in some way then cause a code to popup.  Do you have experience with this already?  If so, could you add a picture or two of how it worked out.  Thanks

18 minutes ago, CRApex said:

I'll take a closer look.  I was just concerned it would interfere in some way then cause a code to popup.  Do you have experience with this already?  If so, could you add a picture or two of how it worked out.  Thanks

You’ll throw a code of the shutters cannot operate, but not if you just remove the blades. All the sensor knows is if there’s resistance when the blades operate. 

I put a light bar on my AT4 with no issues. Ended up popping two of the blades out just because my mount was slightly too far back and I was too lazy to take it off and cut the steel again. 

5 minutes ago, needfulgolfer said:

You’ll throw a code of the shutters cannot operate, but not if you just remove the blades. All the sensor knows is if there’s resistance when the blades operate. 

I put a light bar on my AT4 with no issues. Ended up popping two of the blades out just because my mount was slightly too far back and I was too lazy to take it off and cut the steel again. 

Got it.  Thank you for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

25.6” light bar tucked up way at the top of the grill! Single row Jiuguang from Amazon, been 2 years on 2 trucks.

A couple zip ties to hold it makes for a quick uninstall, zoom in two rows above GMC logo.

41F5ECD0-2EFF-41D0-9431-9990B59D1D1F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got it done.  I ended up using zip ties to attach it to the back of the grille.  It clears the shutters no prob.  I tapped the high beam fuse under the hood so the high beams activate the relay to turn it on.  I may add an additional on/off switch at some point depending how I like the high beam setup.  The nice part is I didn't have to drill any holes or cut any factory wiring.

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6844.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Sledguyry said:

What light bar do you have? I’m interested in doing the same setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nilight-20Inch-420w-Triple-Row-Flood-Spot-Combo-Off-Road-Lights-Wiring-Harness/254525269675?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554218154527&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• 2 weeks later...