Drivers front Strut/Shock Noise

Hey guys, Got a 2019 Z71, bought new with 12K miles on it.

Ever since new, it sounds like the front drivers wheel when hitting a bump at lower speed(around 15-30 mph) is almost bouncing, like a bad strut/shock/bushing. Had it checked thoroughly by dealer twice, everything seems tight. Had an alignment done too. 

Seems also to be noticeable at winter time(40 degrees or colder). Didnt notice much this summer, also dont notice at all at highway speeds.

Anyone experience this or have a thought? Dealer is willing to replace strut but that doesn't seem to make sense either. I have even watched it out the window, and tire shows no sign of bouncing.

I have a similar noise going through a dip when the truck is coming back up. Sounds like a knock/bump and can actually be felt in the floorboard.

I can hear it if I bounce the truck on that side too.

I’m gonna try to take it in this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That exactly it! seen nothing wrong and my buddy is a 20 year certified gm tech, he is who works on these and my personal truck, and even he is stumped. ALso hard to duplicate problem

Let me know what you find if anything. 

Tell them to pull down on the fender to bounce that corner. I can replicate it fairly easily once the truck starts moving enough.

Had the same issue a while back. Easies way to replicate it is drive over a piece of lumber 4x4 or sometimes 2x4.

And yes my dealer gave up on it so did I but in a stroke of luck its gone. I think what ever was the issue it rattled its way out and fill of the pickup for good. Either way can't hear it anymore

On 12/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, Jav_eee said:

Tell them to pull down on the fender to bounce that corner. I can replicate it fairly easily once the truck starts moving enough.

What did you find out? what do you mean by pull down on the fender, are you saying the fender is loose or hitting while hitting a bump?

What did you find out? what do you mean by pull down on the fender, are you saying the fender is loose or hitting while hitting a bump?

Haven’t had a chance to take it in yet. Maybe this week?

No I mean to pull the whole truck down to bounce the suspension. Pop the hood, put 2 hands on the fender (from the side you’re hearing the noise) and pull down repeatedly to bounce it. (Seeing as how everything is plastic on the front bumper I felt this was the easiest/safest way)

When I say “pull down” I mean with your whole body weight. Get that sucker moving!

4 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

Haven’t had a chance to take it in yet. Maybe this week?

No I mean to pull the whole truck down to bounce the suspension. Pop the hood, put 2 hands on the fender (from the side you’re hearing the noise) and pull down repeatedly to bounce it. (Seeing as how everything is plastic on the front bumper I felt this was the easiest/safest way)

When I say “pull down” I mean with your whole body weight. Get that sucker moving!

Okay i will try that. IS what you were hearing considered normal just bouncing or noise feeding thru the fenders? Or did you find something wrong?

I had a similar noise from the front passenger side, and would hear it when going over bumps, railroads, etc.    The sound started around 15,000 miles and I just tried to ignore it for the next 5,000 miles, but luckily it disappeared completely when I upgraded the shocks.

Okay i will try that. IS what you were hearing considered normal just bouncing or noise feeding thru the fenders? Or did you find something wrong?

Definitely not normal. Based on my unscientific “put your finger on the part to feel the noise” experiment it’s coming from the shock. I’m guessing inside.

The left side is silent.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, Jav_eee said:

Definitely not normal. Based on my unscientific “put your finger on the part to feel the noise” experiment it’s coming from the shock. I’m guessing inside.

The left side is silent.

I tried bouncing it, might not be moving it enough as i am not the biggest guy, but it sounded fine. However, another mentioned drive slowly over 2x4 and that duplicates it. Passsenger side is silent

Curious, do you guys have z71 suspension with same white ranchero shocks, wonder if some are bad. Sounds like it isnt acting properly at low speed, probably a internal valve issue.

My tech said bring it in, we are going to try shock and see if it improves/or stays the same. Either way, it is one more thing out of the way

PS: i wonder if these damn trucks are too light, With all the plastic and aluminum, i notice the sound is bettter when the truck has cab full and it is warm outside

On 12/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, Moend said:

Had the same issue a while back. Easies way to replicate it is drive over a piece of lumber 4x4 or sometimes 2x4.

And yes my dealer gave up on it so did I but in a stroke of luck its gone. I think what ever was the issue it rattled its way out and fill of the pickup for good. Either way can't hear it anymore

Tried this, it does make the sound. THose horizontal cracks in pavement do it too.

How many miles did you notice it took to go away? I only have 12k on it, might need to break in more, shocks could just be darn stiff

Alkaspeltzer,

I HIGHLY doubt it will go away since its most likely a blown shock.  I've had to replace many over the years on various vehicles for various issues similar to what you describe.  I just replaced my white Ranchos in my 2020 Z71 for the very same thing and when I pulled out my passenger side shock I readily identified a small leak that appeared to have been present for a while.  Is it normal for a shock to wear out, yes, is it normal at that low of mileage, no, but it does happen and with a prior owner who knows what he put the truck through.  

Mine started clunking and making weird noises pretty bad around 15k miles, but it would occasionally clunk long before that, my guess would be around the 10-12k mark.

If the dealership is willing to replace the shock, let them, that seems the obvious route to me.  If that doesn't solve the problem them its something bigger and the dealer needs to address it under warranty anyways.  Regardless, step one would be to replace the shock and if they are willing to do it, let them.

Also, with a deteriorating shock, there is a good likelihood you wont see wheel bounce.  Most of the sound is coming from internal components as a result of damaged components or loss of dampening fluid.

Either way its a minor thing, don't worry, it will all get resolved shortly.  Good Luck!

Edited by Gangly

On 12/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, alkaspeltzar said:

Tried this, it does make the sound. THose horizontal cracks in pavement do it too.

How many miles did you notice it took to go away? I only have 12k on it, might need to break in more, shocks could just be darn stiff

About 20k miles or so

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update. I did get the dealer to agree to shock replacement.

Clearly it was blow. When we removed, it was not as smooth as the other side and had little resistance. We actaully knowing it was failed pushed it back past the seal, and it barely had any pressure. In fact, all the oil was mixed with air/water where with the nitrogen charge, that shouldnt happen as much.

Been a couple weeks. Definitely quiet and rides like a z71. Took the bounce and lightness i was feeling out of the truck. Love this thing now.

Thank for all the support!