Stopped and looked at a new Sierra Denali 3.0 Duramax

Wayfun

I stopped by the dealer today to look a the new baby Duramax in a Sierra Denali.  I tow a 6500 lb travel trailer with my '16 Yukon Denali and I was thinking about switching to a pickup.  The truck was very nice but it lacks payload capacity.  The payload and rear axle ratings were both less than my standard Yukon Denali.  The payload sticker listed it at 1394 lbs and my Yukon is 1545 lbs.  The rear axle rating was only 3800 lbs vs 4200 for the Yukon.  Given that my tongue weight is approaching 900 lbs I don't think the Sierra has enough load capacity.  Is this typical of all half ton Sierras?

3 hours ago, Wayfun said:

The payload sticker listed it at 1394 lbs and my Yukon is 1545 lbs.  The rear axle rating was only 3800 lbs vs 4200 for the Yukon.  

My sister just bought a Silverado LT with the Duramax and the sticker had payload over 1700.  While shopping I saw an AT4 with a payload at around 1300.  I suspect the suspension system on the Denali and the off-road gear in the AT4 are heavy and eat into payload.  Take a look at a Sierra SLT optioned up and maybe with the Max Tow package and I bet you get a few hundred more in  payload than the Denali with similar options.  The Dmax is going to be heavier than the 5.3 or 6.2 so that will cost some payload. 

Lower trims and gas engines will have higher payloads.  If you get this truck, and put anything in the bed to go with your travel trailer, it WILL squat.  If you wrench down on the WDH, you may get to level.  

Mines a '21 standard bed Denali with the 3.0L 

GVWR   =  7200 lb

Curb wt = 5834 lb 

Payload = 1366 lb   

GCWR = 15,000

Conventional trailer rating = 8800

Maximum Tongue weight = 880   (10%)

Gooseneck rating = 6500 

maximum tongue = 975    (15%)

Payload is gonna always be GVWR - curb, if  less stuff on truck more payload. 

Sunroof, standard box instead of short box and so on.

Anyway, with this truck, I'd be quite happy pulling the OP's 6500lb trailer.