Spoiler not sitting flush?

On 12/12/2020 at 5:19 AM, tlaw91 said:

It is a giant piece of plastic bolted to a giant piece of medal

They expand and contact at different rates

And it is bolted it isn’t taped or glued or put on with trim clips

I like it that way. maybe his has come loose?

how does one access those fasteners?

Remove the rear headliner section

Remove the C and B pillars

Then pull down

You’ll make a crease in the liner but it’ll go away just don’t be resting your arm on it too much when servicing the spoiler

How is the headliner held up to the roof, clips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

43 minutes ago, Jav_eee said:

Any tips or tricks to dropping it?

I did the whole thing.  A, B, C pillar.  No tricks.  Just remember to put the driver seat all the way down before disconnecting the negative battery terminal.   

The upper center console, where the Onstar button is has two front T10 screws way up in the plastic housing.  That was the hardest to get to and hardest to put back in.  I would leave it on next time and not even drop that thing. 

Fairly easy otherwise.  I think it would take me 20-30 mins to do it again.  Faster if I was just ripping panels off held by clips without any regard.   

After taking the pillar panels off.  Really it is the visors, the two rear coat hooks on each side and the center rear light, which you just held in by two clips.  

Headliner itself only has two clips near the back rear window.  Mine was not clipped on since the GM tech worked on it to seal the rear window the first time.  And I wasn’t able to get the clips back in after my tear down either.  Oh well.  Doesn’t bother me.  

No other clips on the headliner otherwise.  It is tucked in snug into the weather stripping.  But still easy to pull it down.  

There is also a harness providing power to the third brake light/cargo lights partial glued on the headliner on the driver rear.  You won’t miss it.  Just pull down slower on that corner and disconnect it when you see it.  

I wore clean nitrile gloves or similar when touching the headliner.  You don’t have to, just be conscious about your dirty/oily hands touching it.  If you care.  

I recommend doing it.  It wasn’t bad.  And I was able to locate my leaks and seal them.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

I did the whole thing.  A, B, C pillar.  No tricks.  Just remember to put the driver seat all the way down before disconnecting the negative battery terminal.   

The upper center console, where the Onstar button is has two front T10 screws way up in the plastic housing.  That was the hardest to get to and hardest to put back in.  I would leave it on next time and not even drop that thing. 

Fairly easy otherwise.  I think it would take me 20-30 mins to do it again.  Faster if I was just ripping panels off held by clips without any regard.   

After taking the pillar panels off.  Really it is the visors, the two rear coat hooks on each side and the center rear light, which you just held in by two clips.  

Headliner itself only has two clips near the back rear window.  Mine was not clipped on since the GM tech worked on it to seal the rear window the first time.  And I wasn’t able to get the clips back in after my tear down either.  Oh well.  Doesn’t bother me.  

No other clips on the headliner otherwise.  It is tucked in snug into the weather stripping.  But still easy to pull it down.  

There is also a harness providing power to the third brake light/cargo lights partial glued on the headliner on the driver rear.  You won’t miss it.  Just pull down slower on that corner and disconnect it when you see it.  

I wore clean nitrile gloves or similar when touching the headliner.  You don’t have to, just be conscious about your dirty/oily hands touching it.  If you care.  

I recommend doing it.  It wasn’t bad.  And I was able to locate my leaks and seal them.   

thanks! that knowledge could come in handy.

how hard was removing the pillar trim? I've done the A pillar before, haven't touched the others.

1 hour ago, kodiakdenali said:

thanks! that knowledge could come in handy.

how hard was removing the pillar trim? I've done the A pillar before, haven't touched the others.

A pillar was probably the hardest of the 3 in my opinion.  B and C, pull from the bottom vertical or horizontal edge.  Don't start at the top.  Comes right out.

C pillar there are no bolts at all, only clips and a hook attached to a short (rubber?) line.  So pull with care.      

I used a plastic pry tool to help me get under it and get my fingers in.

pry tool.jpg

Edited by SilveradoRST
  • Like 1

A pillar was probably the hardest of the 3 in my opinion.  B and C, pull from the bottom vertical or horizontal edge.  Don't start at the top.  Comes right out.

C pillar there are no bolts at all, only clips and a hook attached to a short (rubber?) line.  So pull with care.      

I used a plastic pry tool to help me get under it and get my fingers in.
1349065761_prytool.jpg.dfc03b32e34e6bab3b2f00755e7fedf2.jpg

You’re doing God’s work out here! Many thanks!

• Thanks 1