Anyone Have These Wheels?

If you live in a northern climate I'd stay away from gm chrome wheels unless you have another set for winter. The salt will eat them to the point they wont hold air. ask me how I know lol.
If you keep them clean they will be fine. If you leave the chemicals on them they will corrode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

If you keep them clean they will be fine. If you leave the chemicals on them they will corrode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Proper cleaning will help I agree but these are cheap Chinese chrome wheels that gm uses they are a far cry from the wheels they used to use. 

They will get scratched from tires changes and once that chrome is compromised they will not last in northern climates. that salt eats that low quality cast aluminum easy.

42 minutes ago, djw88 said:

Proper cleaning will help I agree but these are cheap Chinese chrome wheels that gm uses they are a far cry from the wheels they used to use. 

They will get scratched from tires changes and once that chrome is compromised they will not last in northern climates. that salt eats that low quality cast aluminum easy.

Heard that! MN salt ate these wheels up in less than 4 years. The flaking was so bad it even got inside the lip and wasn't sealing. 

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_7615.jpg

19 minutes ago, boettcher40 said:

Heard that! MN salt ate these wheels up in less than 4 years. The flaking was so bad it even got inside the lip and wasn't sealing. 

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_7615.jpg

yep that's exactly what happened to my snowflakes. actual chunks fell out of the lip where the bead seats. I had to pump them up every two weeks.

Nothing beats the voice of experience. When I first went to the winter wonderland, I couldn’t imagine why everyone had “steelies” and studded tires for winter. Those pictures are examples of the price of an education. 

11 hours ago, Darksky said:

Nothing beats the voice of experience. When I first went to the winter wonderland, I couldn’t imagine why everyone had “steelies” and studded tires for winter. Those pictures are examples of the price of an education. 

The main issue is the quality of the casting. All of my cars have had aluminum wheels all the others had quality cast or forged wheels. These chrome Chinese GM wheels are low quality castings.

Had a 2000 SSEI drove year round in WI for 15 years and the chrome wheels looked just as good as the day I got it when I sold it. same with all my other cars.

Edited by djw88
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses and the advice although this doesn't answer my question. These are the wheels that came on the truck, not wheels i'm thinking about buying. I have no intention of buying different wheels because they "may" corrode a few years from now.