Silverado 2500HD Issue

Been a proud and hardcore Powerstroke fan/owner since they first came out. last one was at 193k miles so I decided it's time for a new work horse. Wanted another Powerstroke, but I couldn't get one at a lower price or with a better warranty then what Chevy was offering me on a 2020 Chevy LT 2500HD Duramax/Alison package. Figure they are a good American company so I went ahead and bought it. Turns out the warranty is so good, because you are more likely to need it.

Bought the truck at the start of November 2020 and have 4,100 miles on it now with no towing yet. Majority of the miles were highway driving to different hunting locations last month here in Montana. Started heading to work this morning and about 4 miles from my house the truck started surging RPMs and shifting hard between lower and higher gears. Managed to nurse it another mile or so to a safe place to pull off the road. Once stopped with my foot on the brake and the vehicle in drive, the truck was still shifting and trying to jump forward against the brakes (still no lights, codes, or messages). Put it in park, tried switching between D and L gears to see if maybe the ECM or TCM was just getting so smart that it was confused. Nothing different though. Put it back in park, shut it off, let it sit off for about 10 minutes to hope something would reset itself. Started it back up (still no lights, codes, or messages), same issues: high idle, surging RPMs, and shifting/attempting to drive against the brakes when in Drive.

Called the dealership, they asked me a bunch of questions, sounded like they didn't believe my issue was real (still no codes, messages, or lights). They had me call through OnStar for a tow. After getting off the phone with OnStar I tried shutting it off and turning it back on again. Only change at this point was that now all my warning lights were on, dash messages were that parking brake, ecs, and tcs need serviced.

Tow truck showed up and while running (wouldn't let me put in neutral while off), in neutral, and going onto the truck the transmission was making an unhealthy sound similar to when a starter doesn't hit the flywheel right. Put it in park and shut it off for the trip to the dealership. Got to the dealership, started it back up and put it in neutral for unloading. Only light on now is check engine light and a service parking break message. Transmission still didn't sound healthy.

Went into the service department and they sounded sceptical that I had an issue, but said "they might get to it today, but we're pretty booked up". Didn't offer me a loaner vehicle. So, really pleased that I have a $58k dealership parking lot weight currently. I don't expect that every single thing made will work without issue or that I should be treated like a king, but I do expect to be taken seriously when reporting an issue, at least asked if I have another mode of transportation, and given at least some educated guess at the problem and when to possibly expect a remedy so I can plan future transportation needs accordingly.

$58k was a lot of money that I thought would buy me reliability and piece of mind. I haven't lost piece of mind with the vehicle itself, but rather the lack of customer service and care that I can expect in the future. After you've spent the money you quickly become a nobody with GM apparently.

Will continue to update if I get any information regarding the cause of this issue and a solution.

Dealership just called back. Turns out they were able to check my truck out and believe the issue is the transmission computer is fried. Can't get a new one here until Tuesday. Will keep updated if that fixes all the problems and for how long. I'm sceptical that there isn't internal damage after the way it was shifting and sounding.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that sucks.  I was also a Ford guy but they were just too expensive at the moment so ended up with a 2500HD Duramax LTZ Z71.  Lots of things about it bug me, auto locking doors, 99mph limiter, inability to turn off the seat belt dinger, and lack of a door key pad.  I did not think that stuff would bother me as much as it does.  If it breaks down I am really going to regret not spending the extra $8k.  At $70k whats an extra $8k right?

Hope it all works out.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, u3putt said:

Wow, that sucks.  I was also a Ford guy but they were just too expensive at the moment so ended up with a 2500HD Duramax LTZ Z71.  Lots of things about it bug me, auto locking doors, 99mph limiter, inability to turn off the seat belt dinger, and lack of a door key pad.  I did not think that stuff would bother me as much as it does.  If it breaks down I am really going to regret not spending the extra $8k.  At $70k whats an extra $8k right?

Hope it all works out.

I just came from a 2018 powerstroke and it had the 99 mph limiter and auto locking doors just like the chevy, but I do miss the door pad, forscan and the ability to turn off the seat belt chime. But I LOVE the ride, even now that I have a dually it feels like a cadillac compared to the 18 f350 srw.   This transmission feels great too,  I hope that I don't have any issues like the op and I hope that he chimes back in too.  I would like to hear if his issue was resolved.

4 hours ago, kenny_r said:

You know gm makes a keypad that you can program to the truck emoji2375.png

Did you look at it?  It's on this weird angle that doesn't match anything on the truck and its stuck on with some 2 sided tape with no way to replace the battery when it dies.  The ford's look like they should be there, I don't know where the chevy's belong.  I was thinking maybe the angle would match the spot where the mirror should be but didn't want to waste the $135 to find out.  I just keep my key fob separate from the actual key now so I can lock the doors on quick stops where I don't want to shut off.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, u3putt said:

Hope it all works out.

You can get a door keypad installed.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/keyless-entry-keypad-84182981?year=2021&make=GMC&model=Sierra3500HD&categoryId=98031

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Brozat4 said:

You can get a door keypad installed.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/keyless-entry-keypad-84182981?year=2021&make=GMC&model=Sierra3500HD&categoryId=98031

Checked it out.  Does not give you the same functionality as the Ford does and the keypad seems like it would destroy itself with the first car wash, super flimsy.   Point is to keep the FOB inside always and you cant do it with the Chevy offering.  Just seems like something they should offer stock already no matter who came up with is.  But, I knew that was a drawback going in so its on me.  

On 1/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, Keith_Schumaker said:

I just came from a 2018 powerstroke and it had the 99 mph limiter and auto locking doors just like the chevy, but I do miss the door pad, forscan and the ability to turn off the seat belt chime. But I LOVE the ride, even now that I have a dually it feels like a cadillac compared to the 18 f350 srw.   This transmission feels great too,  I hope that I don't have any issues like the op and I hope that he chimes back in too.  I would like to hear if his issue was resolved.

Fords you can deactivate the auto locks and seatbelt chime easily.  It's called the "belt minder" and is deactivated with a couple of seat belt click in the aux key mode.  Auto locks is just in the setting menu, all things the sales guy said I could do with this truck.  Dont get me wrong, truck drives great and has good power.  Just simple things that could easily be fixed via programming to make it more user friendly.  Looks good too.

New Truck.jpg

I also seriously miss having the door code entry capability.  The biggest thing I miss from my Ford is the backup manual hub option for the 4 wheel drive.  So far the new TCM seems to be holding up and everything seems to be operating on that end.  I have now been having issues with the electric parking brake not releasing.  I'm not a fan of some of the key operating items that all manufacturers have been converting from manual to electrical.  Like the ignition.  Just seems like I'm going to have a fuse blow somewhere someday and be dead in the water with no way to easily figure out the fix.  That's a nice looking Z71 U3Putt.  My truck is just the LT model but I had running boards put on, leveling kit installed and am still waiting on my new wheels and tires to arrive that I ordered in November.... ?

7 hours ago, TFern said:

I also seriously miss having the door code entry capability.  The biggest thing I miss from my Ford is the backup manual hub option for the 4 wheel drive.  So far the new TCM seems to be holding up and everything seems to be operating on that end.  I have now been having issues with the electric parking brake not releasing.  I'm not a fan of some of the key operating items that all manufacturers have been converting from manual to electrical.  Like the ignition.  Just seems like I'm going to have a fuse blow somewhere someday and be dead in the water with no way to easily figure out the fix.  That's a nice looking Z71 U3Putt.  My truck is just the LT model but I had running boards put on, leveling kit installed and am still waiting on my new wheels and tires to arrive that I ordered in November.... ?

Thanks for the update.  Do you think maybe the parking brake is what took out the tcm? Maybe a partial hang up on the brakes messing with things, although I would assume that would cause mechanical not electrical failure but who knows.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:01 AM, TFern said:

It is amazing that even after 2 months I still constantly walk out to the garage forgetting the key.  After 4 Fords in a row I just cannot get used to having to put the key in my pocket.  It sure rides good though.