Shopping for a new HD truck.

Hello, 

I’m in the market for a new HD truck to replace my 2017 GMC 1500 SLT 5.3 8 speed. Its a shortbed crew 4x4 and it drives like a dream. I love everything about it besides towing over 6k and the small bed. 

I have a 25’ bumper pull camper that weighs about 6k loaded. 2 kids a wife and a dog.

I also run a towing and recovery business where I occasionally need to tow random trailers very short distances. 5th wheels, goosenecks and regular bumper pulls. Short distance as in less than 50 miles. The scenario is this. Guy in powerstroke breaks down pulling his 5th wheel 50 miles from town. We go out to tow the powerstroke and also need to bring his 5th wheel to town. It’s safer to put the powerstroke on a rollback and hook customer’s trailer to another 5th wheel equipped truck. Taking a crewcab pickup out to help with the tow job provides more seats for customers to sit as well. 

I also have a very short commute to the office. 3.5 miles. It gets -25 here in winter (-11) this morning so I’m considering an HD gasser for the short commute and cold temps. 

I know the duramax will pull anything I need it to but I know lots of folks and customers who have issues around here with gelled fuel and emissions issues from short trips. 

Can the 6.6 gas really pull 14k? Maybe just 50ish miles at a time? And only occasionally?  I’m not trying to pull 14k from Yosemite to Yellowstone.

Is the 2500 enough or should I just go 3500? 3500 gas? Seems like an odd combination. 

More often I would be pulling a car hauler around 9-10k total transporting fancy customers cars to dealerships for service from their vacation homes. 

I really like the idea of the gasser for day to day driving and lower cost. The 6 speed and 3:73 makes me nervous. Thanks for the feedback. 

I was also looking at the ram 6.4/8speed but I’m a Gm guy. Fords are not on the list. 

Edited by Bikemobile

24 minutes ago, kenny_r said:

I’ve been a gm guy my entire life but if I were considering a new gas HD truck I’d probably go for the Ford 7.3. Tons of power and a 10 speed with several gear options.

Maybe GM will add the 10 speed to the 6.6 soon. 

I got the 3500 for the added payload/5th wheel hitch weight capacity also I have had 15k behind the truck before for about 100 mile tow and didn’t see myself needing anymore power.  I for one like the tried and true 6 speed that the truck has and have not found myself in a situation needing more gears. If you go the gm route get the 5th wheel prep package the puck system is very nice to have.

I pull my 15k lb 5th wheel up to 250 miles at a time, then stop for fuel, unless I'm already at my destination. It does well pulling that heavy parachute. I also make many shorter trips while towing, so that's not an issue for you. When in the mountains or rolling hills, I've learned to let the engine rev and do it's work. Travelling 70 mph, the engine will be around 3000 rpm in 4th gear or around 4000 in 3rd gear. So long as I'm not losing speed, I'm okay with that. I really believe you could run these engines at the high rpm all day and it'd be fine. 

I've heard great things about the Ford 7.3 and 10-speed, also. Perhaps GM will add the 10-speed in a year or so. Engine-wise, power-wise, the 6.6 is perfectly fine.

• Thanks 1

The 6.6 gas was developed for fleet customer.  The 6.0 6 speed combo that it replaced was the lowest warranty powertrain in all of GM and GM wanted the 6.6 gas to be the same.  I have had over 19k gooseneck on a 50 mile trip in Michigan without issue.  I would recommend a 3500 to handle the higher pin weights of 5th wheels or GNs.  The GVWs of 2500 and 3500 are both over 10k so it will be a CMV for you either way.  

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[quote
go 3500? 3500 gas? Seems like an odd combination. 

but I’m a Gm guy. Fords are not on the list. 

I have the same size trailer towing with a 2018 5.3 six speed 3.42. It struggles at times.
Flat highway no wind no problem. Hills and wind , 6mpg tops.
3500 gas is not an odd combo to me. 3500 is a no brainier if you are towing heavy. Not much more money than a 2500.
I'm holding out for a 2022 6.6 gas with 10 speeds not 6.
If they made a 10 speed 6.6 gas I would have one in my driveway.

BTW
Ford is not on my list either.
I'm Bowtie to the bone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I got the 3500 for the added payload/5th wheel hitch weight capacity also I have had 15k behind the truck before for about 100 mile tow and didn’t see myself needing anymore power.  I for one like the tried and true 6 speed that the truck has and have not found myself in a situation needing more gears. If you go the gm route get the 5th wheel prep package the puck system is very nice to have.
How's it do on grades or into a nice headwind? Does it need to rev in 4th gear to keep up to speed ?
I know the 6.6 gas will rev just like a 5.3. All day every day.

33 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

How's it do on grades or into a nice headwind? Does it need to rev in 4th gear to keep up to speed ?
I know the 6.6 gas will rev just like a 5.3. All day every day.

That is what shows just how durable these GM gas engines are, they will rev at 4-5K all day long and keep on going and going.  My '12 6.0 has been carrying a 3,200 lb camper for 8 years up and over mountain passes (Alaska, Canada, Montana, Idaho) and never even coughed, it's amazing how it hauls.  Transmission temps have always been good to!  

Truck1.jpg

Agreed, the moment GM comes out with the 6.6 gas in a 10 speed I will be the first to buy.

I have a 2014 GM Sierra 1500. I'm ready to upgrade. I drove my brother in-laws 10 speed Ford and I liked it but I am a GM guy.

Does anyone know if the 2022 models will be 10 speed for the gas?

[quote
go 3500? 3500 gas? Seems like an odd combination. 

but I’m a Gm guy. Fords are not on the list. 

I have the same size trailer towing with a 2018 5.3 six speed 3.42. It struggles at times.
Flat highway no wind no problem. Hills and wind , 6mpg tops.
3500 gas is not an odd combo to me. 3500 is a no brainier if you are towing heavy. Not much more money than a 2500.
I'm holding out for a 2022 6.6 gas with 10 speeds not 6.
If they made a 10 speed 6.6 gas I would have one in my driveway.

BTW
Ford is not on my list either.
I'm Bowtie to the bone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk