Antenna relocation while keeping decent reception range

Looking for any input or what others have done for antenna replacements. My current long one is not only ugly but is now coming unraveled since i clipped the top off a few inches to not hit the garage opening.  From reading a ton about this topic there seems to be two options, either buy an aftermarket short (5 - 6 inch) or re-route the current one under the hood.  Looking for any advice on how to shorten or preferably visually eliminate the stock antenna while keeping as much reception range as possible (FM only).  Both seem to have reduced signal range but looking to minimize that as much as possible.

I've seen plenty of 'How To' videos of routing the stock antenna under the hood but what if I added extra antenna wire and went down the side in multiple passes or down and across the front?  Would that help with reception range at all?   Anyone have a short aftermarket antenna they have good luck with?

I can’t speak to completely removing the antenna, however I replaced mine with a 13”

https://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-Compatible-2006-2019-Guaranteed-Engineered/dp/B00SLNED0G/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=antennamastsrus&qid=1609854383&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

I also listen to satellite radio 99% of the time, but the FM reception sounds about the same as the long stock one.

A friend of mine has a 4” on his truck and it doesn’t look right to me, so I went with one a little longer.

03c425bb0c51c029c29c308ce2a1c078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the junkyard and find you one that does not have the wire wrapped on the mast. Cut it down to your preferred height and put a small vacuum cap on it to finish it. I did this to my 02 Z06 years ago. I cut mine down to 6 inch height. Did not affect the radio reception in that car. The radio reception is so poor in these trucks to begin with, I don't know if you would know the difference.

2 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

I can’t speak to completely removing the antenna, however I replaced mine with a 13”

https://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-Compatible-2006-2019-Guaranteed-Engineered/dp/B00SLNED0G/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=antennamastsrus&qid=1609854383&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

I also listen to satellite radio 99% of the time, but the FM reception sounds about the same as the long stock one.

A friend of mine has a 4” on his truck and it doesn’t look right to me, so I went with one a little longer.

i thought the flagpole was your antenna from the picture.. lol

20 hours ago, reardiff said:

Looking for any input or what others have done for antenna replacements. My current long one is not only ugly but is now coming unraveled since i clipped the top off a few inches to not hit the garage opening.  From reading a ton about this topic there seems to be two options, either buy an aftermarket short (5 - 6 inch) or re-route the current one under the hood.  Looking for any advice on how to shorten or preferably visually eliminate the stock antenna while keeping as much reception range as possible (FM only).  Both seem to have reduced signal range but looking to minimize that as much as possible.

I've seen plenty of 'How To' videos of routing the stock antenna under the hood but what if I added extra antenna wire and went down the side in multiple passes or down and across the front?  Would that help with reception range at all?   Anyone have a short aftermarket antenna they have good luck with?

correct me if i'm wrong but does the radio on our truck still use a coax cable for input from the antenna?

you can always get a cb mount for the rear bed and run new coax to the relocated antenna.  the wire wrapped around the ant is apart of the antennas design performance.  it's an upgraded design over the older styles.

one could try cutting down a cb ant, to 1/2 or 1/4wave, or you can chop down an older junk yard unit

That one is quite a bit longer with the American flag on top LOL

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

The link above looks like worth trying, and the price is right.  However it says for the best reception use the short  6 3/4 antenna with description below. 

• UNMATCHED RECEPTION / PROMISED PERFORMANCE - Our 6 3/4" German Engineered Antenna uses choice quality materials, including a highly conductive Internal Copper Coil. While most short antennas are constructed of aluminum or steel, our copper coil is up to 85% more conductive allowing it to pull in stations most short antennas simply dream of. Simple Science, Real Results. If you're not 100% satisfied with performance, return your antenna for a full refund!

What I'm trying to figure out is how can an antenna half the size get better reception than the taller one?  And if it really is using copper coil with 85% more conductively why not use this in the 13 inch one?  Seems a bit gimmick to me, but I'll likely still buy one, just trying to decide which one.  Cant' decide if it looks better with the shorter 6 3/4 or 13 inch?

Ended up getting the 17 inch All Terrain, still quite a bit shorter than stock, but hoping may have a little better reception than the shorter ones. The 6 3/4 just seemed awkward looking being so short.   Had good reviews and had a 9/10 on the reception comparison to the others.  Will post back on reception range after it's installed.

Edited by reardiff

The link above looks like worth trying, and the price is right.  However it says for the best reception use the short  6 3/4 antenna with description below. 
  • UNMATCHED RECEPTION / PROMISED PERFORMANCE - Our 6 3/4" German Engineered Antenna uses choice quality materials, including a highly conductive Internal Copper Coil. While most short antennas are constructed of aluminum or steel, our copper coil is up to 85% more conductive allowing it to pull in stations most short antennas simply dream of. Simple Science, Real Results. If you're not 100% satisfied with performance, return your antenna for a full refund!
What I'm trying to figure out is how can an antenna half the size get better reception than the taller one?  And if it really is using copper coil with 85% more conductively why not use this in the 13 inch one?  Seems a bit gimmick to me, but I'll likely still buy one, just trying to decide which one.  Cant' decide if it looks better with the shorter 6 3/4 or 13 inch?

Order both, see which one you prefer, send one back..

On 1/5/2021 at 7:37 AM, royalkangaroo said:

On 1st look I thought that was a massive flag on the antenna. 

Jim

• Like 1

On my 15, I relocated my antenna under the right fender, reception was almost crap.  Since I don't listen to AM/FM, I just removed the mast completely, and sold the mast.  I'm trying to find time to install a couple hidden antennas on my truck, in case I ever change my mind.  I'll load some pictures for both trucks, after I get home tonight.

image.png.876f3bc49ace55651b29c1f22857bb61.png

Edited by Ravenkeeper