Dealer Offering NANO Protection

reno360

When I bought my new AT4 a month ago, the dealer was pushing their Nano Protection - is anyone familiar with this process?  They said they do a light sanding and paint correction (if needed) and then apply the coating - I have a few questions specifically

is it the same as a Ceramic Coat

is it dealer specific or GM-wide?

what else is included?

Any information you guys may have is greatly appreciated.

Just about every dealer I’ve been to offers a different service. Given that, it’s impossible to know what particular product yours is offering and those questions can only be answered by them.

“Nano protection” is a relatively generic term applied to a variety of different consumer and professional coatings.

Personally, I would (and always do) pass on these heavily marked up services. I’ll stop short of calling them snake oil but some are pretty close to that. And there are plenty of DIY ceramic options that work great now.

• Like 1

If you want the vehicle to be flawless, keep it in Jay Leno's garage. Otherwise, just drive it and wash it when it gets dirty.

You'll never stop every rock chip, scratch, bug splatter, or other nuisance that comes from actually driving a vehicle without going crazy.

• Like 4

When I got my wife a Pilot last year they said they put on paint protection, leather protection, undercoat, nitrogen in the tires and tinted the windows for like $1100.  I said im not buying anything I can't see, they took off everything but the tint.  I told them to deflate the nitrogen and refill with shop air if need be (they wanted $100 for nitrogen!)  I use to work on airplanes, they only need for nitrogen is if you are going from -60 to 100 degrees in minutes.

Anyway find a reputable detailer and get paint coatings if you want.

Edited by psk256
Added

There is very little details about what the dealer coatings actually are. Zaktek which is a big one pushed by a lot of Chevrolet dealers, seems to be something between a true ceramic coating and one of the cheaper spray on ceramic coatings. But no one will actually tell you what it is and there's almost no information on it.

I would just skip it and get a true ceramic coating put on aftermarket from a detailer. If done right, a true ceramic coating should last you 1-2 years.

I just got done detailing my Sierra. 2 coats of Adam’s Polishes wax, and jet seal.

Looks amazing. Same leveling of detailing that I did on my Porsche.

For the seats use a horsehair brush and either Adam’s leather conditioner or Leno’s garage leather conditioner.

I would hard pass on anything from the dealer.