What the heck is going on with the US Mail

Silverado4x4

As title says some of our mail is almost 1 month behind just last week we are still getting xmas cards dated 12-16-20. Received notices on some company's that they haven't received our payment checks and had to call them saying the check was sent out on the 2nd week on December and was due 1-1-21 they were all good about it as they are aware of the extremely slow mail but this is all BS.

I noticed that too.  Not all mail though, just some.  I know the new Post Master General made changes last year around August or so, don't know if that has something to do with it.  Never noticed mail ever being this late, I have a package already 15 days over the delivery date.  

Same here.  USPS is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19. I sent some important doc via priority mail and it was supposed to take 3 days, took 10 days. Got to a DC in Wis and did not mover for 5 days.

I have “Priority” packages floating around that haven’t updated tracking since December 26th. For my business, I moved the rest of my shipping to UPS (at some cost increase) just to avoid the constant customer issues. I simply cannot afford to have $500 packages lost for weeks at a time and people getting pissy with me over it.

While Christmas may have tipped them over the edge, I had delivery issues throughout all of 2020 with USPS. Every other carrier has been fine thankfully. If it’s important, use anyone but the mail.

Here are just some facts and one rumor that will explain everything, most just from articles I have read and postal workers I have talked too.

Last summer the new PMG ordered a bunch of processing machines to be removed and sold. We are talking specialized, multiple million dollar, MASSIVE machines. Some sold on eBay for $4000. A Judge ordered it stopped until at least the election was over, no idea if it restarted.

UPS and FedEx, by their own announcements, couldn't handle the package volume over the holidays and just refused to pick up some shipments from some retailers, I think Macy's was one? So, guess which of the big three didn't refuse packages! I know FedEx has the WalMart contract and there were local reports from post office carriers  walking in their post office one day to a MOUNTAIN of walmart packages everywhere. They usually had one or two per route per day, that one day they had dozens each. We are talking a freak thosands percent increase that came from no where and left just as fast, on top of normal packages. My guess is one day FedEx said no for that area. And all of these are had to fit them in their blazer size, 33 year old, Iron Duke powered rattle death traps that catch on fire regularly. One day, the whole city was running late, the supervisors had asked the Amazon truck driver why they had 3x the normal Amazon packages. His answer? "Practically No one showed up for work at prime delivery so they redirected them to you".

Some areas of the USPS were completely overwhelmed beyond belief. there is a drone photo from Ohio where a facility is circled with semi trailers because they couldn't get through it as fast as it came in.(the rumor:) I heard personally from a letter carrier here in OK they got word L.A. was so backed up the PO there was looking into flying mail carriers in from around the country to help out for a short time

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Sad 1